It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why nuke?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   
is there any proof that the atomic bombing of japan was actually the first gesture of the cold war.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
i believe the first gesture of the cold war was when the russians set off their own atomic weapons a few years later.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
i believe the first gesture of the cold war was when the russians set off their own atomic weapons a few years later.

I have to agree, the cold war was really between russia and the US

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The Cold War stemmed from the lack of trust between the west and east after the end of the second world war.

Its seems ridiculous now as USSR were completely devasted after WW2 - they never could have really tried to invade Europe - yet the lack of trust by both sides led to the Cold War.

It could never have been avoided, the west could never have done business with Stalin even if there was trust.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Well then did the chicken really cross the road

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
The cold war was more about ideals then 1 country vs another.

It was the free world vs communism, and quite frankly the main powers of both sides were looking out for their best intrests

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I was always under the impression that the bomb was dropped to keep Russia in check, to send them a friendly not that says "Remember who is boss!". I am not a huge history buff, but as I recall, Japan was very close to calling it quits and we really had no "good reason" to drop that bomb other than to show off what we had.

top topics

join