It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if one gallon regular would put ya down $10?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Well, I am already hard pressed to go anywhere other than work and to get home supplies, what else can I give up? Some of my food money? buy less toilet paper and dish liquid? These just aren't options. I suppose I will have to try to find a rideshare with some other 3rd shifter who happens to go my way, and contribute to their gas fund. It costs me 7 dollars in gas now just to go across town and visit family, and sadly I am not going as much as I used to because of it.
GIving up some more food money for them is not such a bad idea.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Especially when you consider how quickly food prices are rising. You bring up a good point about visiting family. My family lives 200 miles to the south and my wifes family lives 200 miles to the north. We can't visit either without spending close to 100.00 in gas, then factor in food and it is just too darn expensive. We have become very isolated.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Sorry to hear that Karl, it is a product though of the rising prices, it isn't just about not being able to afford that vacation anymore, it is about affording the little things for me and my family, and when I can't even visit family that lives in the same damn town as I do, well, I feel poor, how can I be so poor when I work 40+ hours every week, as does my husband? Because it costs too much to do the basics now. Sad. Well, thank God the phone bill went down! At least I can still call them all the time!

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

It really makes me want to start a commune with family and friends. Whoops, does that make me a communist?

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Just to point out that in the UK we ARE paying almost $10 per gallon

1 liter = £1.09
1 gallon = 4.5 litres
so £1.09 * 4.5 = £4.90
and £4.90 = $9.70

which is great for people like me with cars that are in the single figure mpg bracket!

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
I pay slightly less than you for now but I should be on par by the end of May if we hit 4.00/gal like they are predicting.

All I can do is deal with it for now. I live 7 miles from work and I would ride a bike to work but our roads are not set up for that very well. There are many, many spots with no shoulder and no bike lane so you are thrust into 45+mph traffic. We had someone die on the route I would have to ride just a month ago.

Not only are our roads not set up well for riding or public transit, our options for vehicles are quite a bit fewer than yours. Over here they consider 35mpg *efficient. And you pay quite a premium to get a hybrid that is 40+mpg.

I think if we hit 4.50-5.00/gal I will just end up getting a vespa or something and just risk it out amongst the larger vehicles that aren't used to seeing small scooters on the road.

As far as I can see, you have few alternatives than to keep driving a car and live the day. About what cars are available in the states I am not familiar with. The one thing I know is that when the fuel gets more and more expansive the demand for small cars doing more for less will force these cars onto the market. Those cars are built and they are being built by American brands too. (Chevrolet matiz 1:16.4/46.32) Europe tents to walk a view steps in front of America and that’s good news for once. The techniques are there for the tasking. Take a look at the latest ecocars in Europe for instance. Those are not hybrids, they burn regular fuel.

The top ten most fuel economic cars by the ANWB april 2008.

1) Smart - 451 fortwo Coupe
1:23.3/54.8
€11200
$17631

2) Daihatsu – Cuore
1:22.7/53.4
€ 8199
$12906

3) Citroen – C1
1:21.7/51.04
€ 8290
$13050

4) Peugot – 107
€8740
$13758

5) Toyota – Aygo
€8690
$13679

6) Daihatsu – Travis
1:20.8/48.92
€10.699
$16842

7) Daihatsu – Sirion2
1:20.0/47.04
€9999
$15740

8) Fiat – 500
$18103

9) Subaru Justy
€10995
$17.308

10) Hyundai – I10
€7995
$12585

ANWB top ten dinky cars april 2008

I have no idea about the availability of these brands in America but I have the feeling they will be when the fuel is getting double of what you’re having now.

Those cars are not good for you’re ego but when you’re purse is at stake who cares right?
(although I must confess I am very charmed by the fiat 500. )

Now when you have enough money to purchase such a car in the new you must know that by the time they will hit the market, they will be selling like warm loafs of bread. This tent to let those cars keep there value for no one wants those fuel burning dinosaurs anymore. When U get the chance, get rid of it in favour of a dinky while there is still value in it.

For example: My dinky did hit the market in 2001 for the price of €11620/$18292. Right now I can still get around €5500/$8500 for it. This allows me to drive a car writing of about €1000/$1600 a year. Once the big cut is away the car tents to keep its value as long as it is in good shape. So when buying a tree year old car you might just be able to write off half the amount. The monthly costs of such a car are quite affordable to me.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Now I can understand that buying a new or other car can be a problem. There are some tips that are fuelsaving in the long run. If you drive an automatic transmission car. get rid of it. Change the thing in for a manual transmission one in the same price class. This will save you a huge amount of fuel in the long run.

fe:
My car – manual transmission: 1:16.4/38.58
same car automatic: 1:13.5/31.75

Then when you own a manual car, try shift gear when the motor is doing about 2000rpm. When shifting gear try to skip gears when possible. Instead of going 1-2-3, try to skip the second. This will keep the motor in low rpm`s and that is fuel economic. This will need some trial and error though. Oh yeah, try to stay of the break as much as possible. Look ahead and anticipate on what’s coming by letting go of the gas.

An other fuel consuming thing is the airco. This baby shut down will increase your economics as much as it would changing from automatic to manual gears.

As much bleak the situation looks like, I for one wouldn’t get my hopes down for the future. The cars to get around affordable are already there. It’s just a matter of time when they hit the US market and it will be then that the US manufacturers will jump into the game of fuel economics. This will push the boundaries of how far you can get on one gallon even further; making the top ten I presented look laughable in five years from now.

Till then you’ll have to cope whith the situation as best you can. Be creative and alert. Maybe a motorcycle can get you around or a scooter (those can easily made to go 50 miles/hour)

So chin up and be the one that gets around even with prices twice as high as they are now!

Those bloody Europeans do!

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
My round trip commute distance to work is about 22 miles. I regularly commute by bicycle. I started doing that about a decade ago as a way to incorporate some exercise into my daily life.

On the way to work, I bike rather slowly so I'm not all smelly by the time I get there. On the way home, I like to bike faster. I've found that it's a great way to unwind so that by the time I'm home, I've pretty much forgotten about my work problems.

The only real problem is when the weather doesn't cooperate. I've got all the rain gear and stuff but it's just not too fun. If gas goes to $10/ gallon to heck with the fun, I'll be riding rain or shine.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
Well, I am already hard pressed to go anywhere other than work and to get home supplies, what else can I give up? Some of my food money? buy less toilet paper and dish liquid? These just aren't options. I suppose I will have to try to find a rideshare with some other 3rd shifter who happens to go my way, and contribute to their gas fund. It costs me 7 dollars in gas now just to go across town and visit family, and sadly I am not going as much as I used to because of it.
GIving up some more food money for them is not such a bad idea.

7 dollars of gasoline to get across town. That must be one hell of a town by Dutch standards, or one hell of a whirlpool™ tank you drive around. That’s two gallons you burn to get there and back. I would be out of my province halfway the next, before my dinky starts coughing up fresh air.

carpooling is a good alternative to save money on a your daily trip around the treadmill. You could even take turns in whose car to use. Saving 50% money is something businessmen are wetting themselves about at night. So there’s a good plan. (over here we have special carpool parking lots providing a place free of charge near intersections to park your car and meet up with colleagues.)

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Especially when you consider how quickly food prices are rising. You bring up a good point about visiting family. My family lives 200 miles to the south and my wifes family lives 200 miles to the north. We can't visit either without spending close to 100.00 in gas, then factor in food and it is just too darn expensive. We have become very isolated.

Again I am amazed by the amounts of gallons you have to gobble to get around. I calculate about 28 gallons (120 litres) to go 400 miles. (640 km) I get that far on 40 litres (app 10 gallons) To be honest, it’ll cost me 100 dollar as well. That’s a tiny bump in the victory lane.

Originally posted by freakyclown
Just to point out that in the UK we ARE paying almost $10 per gallon

1 liter = £1.09
1 gallon = 4.5 litres
so £1.09 * 4.5 = £4.90
and £4.90 = $9.70

which is great for people like me with cars that are in the single figure mpg bracket!

Yups, Europe walks in front with this one.
about yer single figure mpg bracket car: Time to get a tin can that is a little less thirsty then.

Originally posted by Wildbob77
My round trip commute distance to work is about 22 miles. I regularly commute by bicycle. I started doing that about a decade ago as a way to incorporate some exercise into my daily life.

On the way to work, I bike rather slowly so I'm not all smelly by the time I get there. On the way home, I like to bike faster. I've found that it's a great way to unwind so that by the time I'm home, I've pretty much forgotten about my work problems.

The only real problem is when the weather doesn't cooperate. I've got all the rain gear and stuff but it's just not too fun. If gas goes to $10/ gallon to heck with the fun, I'll be riding rain or shine.

Oh man, 22 miles! I would die somewhere halfway that! But it is one way to save some good ol’ dollar and keeping fit at it in the same time. It is quite a way of what I would do and the cost of a litre fuel would have to rise exponential before I’d consider that far out of my way, but I think I eventually would when the sun is shining and the wind isn’t holding a indisputable rancour against me.

Over here I see sometimes what looks like a blimp on wheels. It`s a bike, sort of, but then you’re lying down on, or more accurate in it. Its rather quick too, and totally weatherproof. Maybe something like this can be imported for ya. Heck if you have saved al the money you spared over the years, this should be pretty affordable.

Info on Velomobiles

[edit on 22/4/08 by D.Wolf]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by D.Wolf

LOL I would rather take a second job than give up the skyline

But lucky for me I get paid well enough to keep two on the road.

I do feel for other people though

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
You lllllllllllove your classics dont ya?

Great picture of a skyline

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by D.Wolf

ROFL classic im posting that on the skyline boards - great find!

for those that actually dont know...its not really a fiat panda... its one of these
Skyline

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by freakyclown

Yups Nissan right? I had a dark brown feeling I was wrong about the fiatsco somehow. Man that thing is thus exlusive, I can`t get specifics on that one on my –used to hit 100% of the cars I wanted specifics on- site I tend to visit when I need data on an automobile. That must be one utterly nasty whirlpool™tank you have there. Wanna race my dinky?

Lucky b@st@rd!

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by KMFNWO

I second the motion!
I'm going back to a horse and buggie on a farm on the prarie! Giddy up ol' boy!

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
You are becoming one big Happy family over there.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Comparing America to the UK or Holland is Apples and Oranges.

America is huge and our public transportation sucks is unreliable in most of the country compared to anywhere in Europe. Most folks I know in Europe only drive a few times a month - because they have good public transport.

Here in the U.S., we're use to driving daily, for work, for fun, wasting fuel and making extra trips due to poor planning. It's wake up time that's all.

If you live near a big city in America you can take public transport, but it's so unreliable & poorly implemented that you often spend 1.5-2 hours doing what you could do in 30 minutes in your car. Adding 3+ hours to our commute was not an efficient use of our time in the past.

Since, gas is getting more expensive it may take us more time to make up that extra expense for fuel - therefore more of us will use alternatives if we have the option.

I don't see 10 dollars a gallon as doom & gloom, I think we'll just have to adjust out of our 10-15 mile per gallon luxury vehicles and only use them for special occasions except for the well off folks.

I'm thinking I might not be able to go boating as much because I already easily spend $100 a day on fuel - I can imagine if that goes up to $300 It wont be as much fun to drive fast on the water knowing how much it costs.

Bottom line we will have to adjust in the U.S. and I don't see it being a problem - it might just take 5-10 years of pain while we adjust, depending on how fast gas continues to go up and how quickly alternative better vehicles become available.

I think those silly mopeds that get 100 miles per gallon might get popular real soon as well as motorcycles, motor scooters, bicycles, electric cars etc.

[edit on 23-4-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
first up d.wolf - if you wanna chat about the car u2u me...dont want to derail this thread

and VLF.... Europe is NOT UK. (although technicall we are in the EU doesnt mean we are )

Here in england the public transport is a joke, almost no one i personally know uses public transport except maybe the london underground (but most avoid it if they can!) Buses do not run on time nor do the trains, and when they do they are over priced and overcrowded. People here drive everywhere...even to places they could walk to. No one care shares or car pools that I personally know. So comparing America to UK is totally relevant! Comparing America to Europe..thats another story!

The simple fact is America is finally catching up with the UK price of petrol(gas) and you are all going to have to make changes in your life style...or invade another innocent country and rape them of their oil...

However if there are things you enjoy like boating or driving big fuel guzzling cars then you have to make adjustments in the way you live so you can still enjoy things like that...maybe get a segway to drive to work on and go out weekends in the 84.7liter muscle car and shoot deer with automatic rifles with DU armourpiercing rounds!

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Comparing apples and oranges. Now let’s see. They’re both round, they both like to hang around threes. Both tend to fall towards the ground and they both are becoming more and more expansive at the supermarket. That one I learned in this thread. There are lots of equalities to find when comparing apples to oranges. I think the equals outnumber the differences should I really put some afford in it. Now this I think is the case when comparing Europe to America also.

Using public transportation is not preferable over driving around top down music loud. The people in Europe like to burn fuel. They’re landmasses are both huge. The ones working do drive their cars daily rather than use a system that takes double the time to get where you want. And believe it or not, they even drive for the fun of it. Even with the prices tree times as high as Americans have to cope with. Hey there’s a difference ain it?

That swiftly narrowing gap between the gasoline prices in Europe and America. How to cope with those prices when the purse isn’t growing with them. That is not comparing apples and oranges, that is growing them together on a drying riverbank. The apple three was in a place where the drought came first so it adapted somewhat earlier now knowing where the water is and how to get the most out of the precious moist. The fruits of this three have become smaller and are not as elegant, moist and tasteful as they used to but they do the trick of getting the seeds from one place to an other. Now the orange three is baring very big fruit. Damn look at that! That is going to be a problem with the river getting smaller every day. For now the fruits are good and ready to get picked but next year this three better not bear such fruits again or it’ll dry out on the spot, good for nothing but firewood.

I believe we think the same thing. The waking up thingie you talked about. and that alternatives will become very popular. It did over here although there are still hordes of big cars going about. (When you have no money problem, why be sparse?) The people with small purses will seek alternatives that do the trick of getting around. Your examples will help bearing fruit next year. Once people are looking for alternatives, they will become available.

For example your boatingproblam: get a free ride!

[edit on 24/4/08 by D.Wolf]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by freakyclown

I am not allowed just yet to play around with the u2u toy I believe. Working on that, though.

About technical:
When something is technically an automobile, it is precisely that. Some colleagues tend to dismiss my dinky, calling it a grocery cart. But technically that cart is allowed on the freeway and is more or less capable to get caught in one piece on a photograph, speeding the crap out of it’s trolley wheels. I was not fined doing groceries out there!

I think the parable you make about technical being in the EU is somewhat inept. When it is technical so, it is nothing else. The one thing you can do is ridicule it but that doesn’t make it less true. Either you are a part of it or you are not. I still think the not is yours to keep.
But that I think is another thread al together.

Then again, when a thread derails into whatever, let it derail. Who needs tracks anyway!

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by D.Wolf

Yeah, I do realize we're more alike than not, as I did once upon a time live & work over there.

Don't know how much time you've spent here, but believe me your public transport over there is multiple times better than 90% of the U.S. We've been fat and lazy because we never considered not being able to waste it.

Our skulls are a little thicker over here you know, now its time to join humanity once we get our egos in check.

Thanks for the video link reminder - believe it or not my first boat was a Hobie Cat 16, I may have to find something along that line again someday. Though right now I'm into the inexpensive PWC's with superchargers riding in the rivers & whatnot though they do burn the fuel.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join