It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible way to drive gas prices down?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I just received a forward in my email proposing a way to drive gas prices down. We have all seen the prices increasing, with talk of it hitting 1.50 (canadian) this summer. The forward suggests a total boycott of two specific gas suppliers. If they have no business at the pumps, they will be forced to lower their prices, which, in turn, will force the other suppliers to lower theirs as well. Could this work? Thoughts?

[edit on 19-4-2008 by poolboy]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
theres been talk of these things over and over again, these total boycott things never work.

what I suggest is if you live close to where you have to get lets say groceries or other necesities, walking or the bus isn't a bad option, thus conserving gas for when one really needs it, besides theres a few nice days in my area to go for a walk.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Might work for a while, but it would take everyone participating in the boycott and then as soon as you start buying again, the prices will go back up. Plus, you'd have to be careful to hit the corporate stations. Many gas stations are owned and operated by local folks who simply have an agreement to buy gas from a supplier. In return they get a discount (usually already passed on through competition) and the right to use a well-known insignia (Chevron, Exxon, Texaco, etc.). Should you manage to get a boycott on these types of stations, all you will do is drive them out of business and lower the competition among the other stations in town so there is less reason for them to lower their prices.

I hate to say it, but the only way to lower prices substantially is through governmental regulation of the oil companies. For instance, a cap on the amount of profit per gallon of product, meaning to increase profits they must increase sales, which in turn would require lower prices. I doubt anyone in the DC area is planning on allowing that little bomb to go off anytime in the near future.

Dropping the Federal taxes would drop the price by a few cents per gallon immediately, but it would also strain an already struggling Federal deficit. Stopping speculators (who are largely responsible) is another idea, but that would require a regulation on who could buy/sell crude oil and therefore strangle any possible alternate refinery methods or new competitors in the industry.

We just have too many greedy hands in the oil barrel at the same time, and it's gonna be a bear to get them out of the way of a truly free market.

TheRedneck

P.S.: Just remembered you are in Canada, so sorry for the US references. The same thoughts should be valid, however, just insert the proper country-specific references.

[edit on 19-4-2008 by TheRedneck]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Snopes has a pretty good article on why boycotting gas companies won't work to bring down the price of gas.

Your best bet to help keep gas prices from affecting you so much is to find alternative ways of getting about.

Start walking anywhere that's within 2 miles of your house. Do your shopping in bulk, so you don't have to make daily trips just to pick something up. If your city has mass transit, start taking it.

Above all, keep your car well maintained, and tires inflated properly.

[edit on 20-4-2008 by tebyen]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies. Some good thought and ideas here. I have been thinking of going hybrid for a while (my job requires driving a minimum 30,000 km a year...probably should think of a new job!). Just wondering if prices keep rising, will I eventually be paying as much to fill a hybrid tank as I do a regular vehicle now? Kinda sucks when you look at it. There has to be a way that the people can stop this onslaught on the pumps. There must be something we can do that no one has thought of yet.....no?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
They got us by the cojones, my amigo. Either we all stop, or nobody stops, nobody significant. The first will not happen. Not until someone comes along and says "Gas is illegal. No more gas." or offers up a solution that is a lot cheaper.

I'm leaning towards..... wait didn't I just post another thread on gas prices like 5 seconds ago?..... but I'm leaning towards ehhhhh Halliburton and such likes all that money and power, so they aren't gunna offer you jack squat, other than total submission to their monopoly.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
My take is than the prices are not going to go down. I hope that the price stops going up so quickly, may be levels for a while. But greed trumps all.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
if you live in a town which is as bad as mine for commercial development, the Eastern section and new sub divisions are missing out on the necesties essentially because people don't want lots of traffic, yet they drive quite a bit just to get to the newest grocery store.

I am glad I don't drive, but I will be getting a eBike soon so I can get around, it'll set me back about 1300 - 1900 dollars, I also save money like crazy.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by hypr2008

All go around on Horses again, Then there will be Hay Tax, i suppose

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
The only way prices will go down is less people demanding it....

and I mean that in way that isn't good.

[edit on 23-4-2008 by Ihavenoidea]

new topics

top topics

join