It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interstellar Romance?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I was just curious about this: If we are ever able to travel across the universe and meet other intelligent beings like ourselves, how many of you would consider a romantic relationship with an alien being?

What kind of backlash do you think there would be against?

Would people be prejudiced against it?

I don't think I would do it cause it would be kinda weird to date outside your own species. Plus it would be kinda weird to take them home to meet your parents.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Well, as long as they were humanoid in appearance, I would have to say I would love to see what another galaxy has to offer as far as love is concerned, would they be more compassionate and loving, or just cold and kinky? I would hope for the compassionate end of the bargain.

Yes people would be prejudice, unless by the time we are interacting with them, such prejudices would be snuffed out along with racist prejudices etc.

The only backlash I can think of is falling deeply in love with some alien being, and then finding out they were just experimenting on me. That would be pretty harsh.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by psychedeliack
Well, as long as they were humanoid in appearance, I would have to say I would love to see what another galaxy has to offer as far as love is concerned, would they be more compassionate and loving, or just cold and kinky? I would hope for the compassionate end of the bargain.

Yeah, If they were humanoid it wouldn't be so bad I guess. It would be kinda weird if they could shapeshift to fit your preferences.

I gotta say though, cold and kinky doesn't sound to bad either.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by thehumbleone

Interesting thought you bring up, here. Really, I think it's interesting since some people do not even think interacial couples are acceptable, let alone an intergalactic one. This makes me think of a television show where there was such a scenario.

Love is love, anyway. Does it matter really where one finds it?

Who's to say your soul mate might not be from a few galaxies away?

Even human relationships are an experiment, which sadly to say, fail at least 50% of the time!

As far as brining an intergalactic mate home to meet the folks? LOL......
My Dad is rolling over in his grave right now, that a black man, and a woman are running for President! Does that answer your question?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
There are quite a few aliens from Star Trek I wouldn't kick out of bed for eating biscuits.

From what I know, for every drink you give a guy, his standards drop a notch. There's a saying I have heard often.... "Never been to bed with a pig... but I've woken up with a few".

Anyway... what if humans were the most prevalent type of being in the universe?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan

Interesting thought you bring up, here. Really, I think it's interesting since some people do not even think interacial couples are acceptable, let alone an intergalactic one. This makes me think of a television show where there was such a scenario.

That's true, some people can't even stand to see a human date another human of a different "race."

I could imagine what they'd do if you were dating a Venusian or something.

Prote, it makes you wonder if every human like being in the universe would have developed certain traits the same though.

I still think if they were exactly like us, people wouldn't accept it just cause they're from "another planet."

[edit on 19-4-2008 by thehumbleone]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Well, yes, I very much agree with you on that one.

I think people would find them odd, just because they managed to find us. The differences in intelligence would be most upsetting to most people, I would think.

Religious people would have the hardest time figuring out that God made more species in his image than man, alone.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

I would say SOME religious people, most the religious people I know have no problem with ET's, in fact, Ive even been to a few services where they involved ET's in their prayers!
The stereotype of a religious person maybe, but especially these days, UFO's or ET's in the bible seems to be a hot topic. There is nothing in the Bible against having an interstellar relationship, in fact, I think thats what the whole thing is about in the first place! lol (seriously)

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by psychedeliack

Wow, that is really something. What religious groups have you seen espouse this?

Do they want to dunk them, get them filled with the holy spirit? LOL, I want to see one of those services.

I am not making fun of you, I just find it interesting. I live in the Baptist Bible belt, and the folks down here haven't quite figured out the message of Jesus was to be like him, and not to worship him.

I may have gotten off topic here, but Wow.......what religion is this?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I can honestly say I've never even thought about this.

I suppose, like someone said, if they were similar in appearance to us then it wouldnt be as weird. But, I think alot of people in the world would in no way be able to understand or accept it. As it was said there are still tons of people out there who dont even approve of interracial relationships, never mind this.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Hmm, I get the point you're trying to make psychedeliack.

I think you're saying a relationship with a god could be considered interstellar in a way.

[edit on 19-4-2008 by thehumbleone]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
If you believe in God, then he made us in his image, makes sense he didn't limit it to one planet out of countless.

If you believe we were created by aliens, same applies.

If you believe we simply evolved, then judging by the range of animal life on Earth, then pretty much anything imaginable will be out there. On this basis, humans are the dominant animal on this world, chances are we've also happened elsewhere.

Whichever way you skin it, there are a lot of us around.

The question of prejudice and bringing home a nine tentacled slime bag to meet mom... the answer is that when we are evolved spiritually enough to rid us of our prison planet ideals, then we may get to meet some aliens, and not before.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Prote

Prote,

I believe you are correct on this. We haven't even accepted each other, let alone an alien race.

When everyone realizes they are all a part of each other, then maybe, as you say, before we are wiped out of the universe, people will understand this.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

I think it was a non denominational christian church, they read from the Nag Hamaddi as well as the bible. This was in Idaho.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Just gross. Absolutely gross.

You folks realize you have more in common with a gila monster or strawberry than you would any alien creature, right? You might as well romance one of them first...

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex
Just gross. Absolutely gross.

You folks realize you have more in common with a gila monster or strawberry than you would any alien creature, right? You might as well romance one of them first...

lol that's why I said I wouldn't date one.

However, you just proved enthralled fan and the other members points.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by psychedeliack

definatly cold and kinky what could be better than a one night stand in another galaxy?

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   

thehumbleone:
consider a romantic relationship with an alien being?

Let's be clear. What exactly are you talking about when you say "romance?" Do you mean love? Do you mean sex? Do you mean courtship rituals? Form emotional attachments with?

If they were humanoid it wouldn't be so bad I guess.

Why would this matter, particularly?

it would be kinda weird to date outside your own species.

"Date."

As in...go out to dinner, watch movies, talk about common interests? Would doing any of these things be "weird" for doing them with someone outside your species?

We used to have a cat who would wait to eat until we sat down for dinner. She wanted company. I thought that was really neat. I don't remember ever once thinking it was "weird" to be eating in the company of someone outside of my species. Nor have I ever thought it "weird" to play with the cat with a string, or throw a stick for a dog, or to whistle at birds to see if they would whistle back.

We humans often enjoy the company and companionship of others outside our species. Why would it be strange to do so with a creature solely because it happens not to be native to this planet?

There are plenty of people who would say they love their pets, as well as those who say that their pets love them. If you look around the internet, I think you'll find there are even a few who have sex with them.

If we can do these things with creatures less intelligent than ourselves, and they are able to reciprocate, why wouldn't we be able to with creatures equally or more intelligent than ourselves? People are even able to form emotional attachments to completely inanimate objects like cars and money. Even completly non-physical things like beliefs and ideas. If I can be emotionally attached to a car, a pet, an idea...why couldn't I become emotionally attached to sentient being not from this world?

Maybe biology would make it unlikely that such a relationship would result in babies, but...so what?

love

In my experience, love isn't something I choose to do. It's something that either is, or is not. Would I go out of my way to "try" to fall in love with an alien? Well, no...probably not. But I'm also unlikely to "try" to fall in love with a human.

Love relates to knowingness. Rapport. We love those with whom we resonate. It is something that is, not something you do. To me, "dating" is something you do as a means to find out if you love someone. Not come to love them...but come to know who they are well enough to realize that they are already that which I love. Would I personally be willing to explore this possibility with a non-human?

Certainly.

Perhaps the better question would be: "If you came to realize that you loved someone or something that was not human...would you allow yourself to realize and express it?"

Can anyone give me a good reason to deny love?

psychedeliack:
The only backlash I can think of is falling deeply in love with some alien being, and then finding out they were just experimenting on me. That would be pretty harsh.

...there is that possibility. When a cat or a dog chooses to enter into a relationship with a human, the human does have certain potential to take advantage of the situation. Many people neuter their dogs for the convenience of it, but I suspect it's not nearly so convenient for the dog.

If we're assuming a relationship with a non-human of equally greater capacity as ours to our pets...then suddenly this "romance" takes on a very different quality.

Would you willingly allow yourself to be the "pet" of an alien of massively greater intelligence?

That's an interesting question as well.

[edit on 25-4-2008 by LordBucket]

top topics

join