It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers of 'The War on Terror' Speak Out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Soldiers of 'The War on Terror' Speak Out

alternet.org

Two Marines talked about trashing the country during the invasion. One of them, Brian Casler, served three combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. As part of the invasion force, he said he and others in their unit defecated and urinated into the containers of food and water they threw at the welcoming children they encountered. To relieve the boredom during his first deployment, they demolished Babylonian ruins and "drove over the rubble for fun." After describing how they ransacked a public building, he said, "We found out later that we had shredded all of the birth certificates for the City of Fallujah."

Several speakers talked about the disrespect of the Iraqi dead. Michael Leduc, for example, told us about "Rotten Randy" and "Tony the Torso," the nicknames his Marine unit gave to the corpses they used for rifle practice.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Man, I am so tired of this crap...I can't believe the amount of people STILL cheering for wars in this day and age...This is the worst trait in humanity, bar none...There are NO winners in war, save for the elitist scum who profiteer off the blood of us all. Anybody still beating war drums for Iran or any other country should have their freakin heads examined.

Those who sell the invasion and occupation as a "just war" will deny that these first-hand accounts are part of the whole truth or they will simply dismiss the speakers as liars and traitors, which is already happening. They will continue to entice new advocates and a never-ending stream of recruits, all made possible by a gutless Congress, a compliant media, an apathetic public, and a bottomless military budget, including $4 billion annually for recruiting.

Repeatedly, the speakers stated that they welcomed the opportunity to testify as to the accuracy of their statements in a legal proceeding. Luis Montalvan, a captain with 17 years of service in the Army, stated, "I would like nothing better than to testify under oath to Congress." He then quoted President Theodore Roosevelt: "To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."

alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
There are some terribly chilling quotes in that article. I fear for the young men and women that are there with no guidance, and the state that they will return home in. Will it be in a state so far removed from recognising 'innocents' and so fearful, that they would turn on their own people at the elitist government's request? I hope not.

"A lot of the raids and patrols we did were at night around three in the morning . . . . And what we would do is just kick in the doors and terrorize the families." After he described segregating the women, the children, and the men, he said, "If the men of the household were giving us problems, we'd go ahead and take care of them anyway we felt necessary, whether it be choking them or slamming their head against the walls. . . . On my wrist, there's Arabic for 'F you.' I got that put on my wrist just two weeks before we went to Iraq, because that was my choking hand, and any time I felt the need to take out aggression, I would go ahead and use it."

How insane must you be to have F you in arabic tatooed on the arm you like choking innocent civilians with? How can we support the troops when they act like this?!?

[edit on 20-4-2008 by Nammu]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
All I gotta say is that this is nothing new to war. People try to act like it's "Degradation of American Morals" that is the problem, or something of the like, but in truth, there are multitudes of stories similar to this from every country that has ever been in wars like this.

Ask around to your Vietnam Veterans, and some of them will open up and tell you stories like this... I've heard some! One that I heard, for instance, is that they would take VC and line them up chest to back like dominoes and shoot to see how many they could kill in that row with a single bullet... Human Dominoes. The guy that told me about it said that the bullet would kill the first 2 or 3, and then they would fall like dominoes. The other one he said was the Human Firecracker... they would dig a hole and put a mortar in the bottom and make the VC stand on the mortar, then bury his feet. They would cover him in gasoline, "Light the fuse" and run... as soon as the VC got his feet to move enough (the guy was on fire) the mortar would go off. I've heard all SORTS of stories. It's sick, and it's a product of military training, attitude, and the stress of war itself. It isn't confined to just a couple people or units... it is pretty commonplace and widespread.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I served in Iraq in the Army for a year during 2004-05. What was quoted as terrorizing people at 3 am was pretty accurate. We did it mostly to bring in 'high value targets' - people who intel said were insurgents. I think the distress caused to the women and children in those situation made more future enemies than what we managed to detain.

The other things, destroying artifacts and public records, throwing waste at children. The Army culture is different and those things would result in disciplinary action or psych evaluations.

Experiencing horrors first hand will make a young man go heartless, and dehumanize others. It's a survival mechanism to cope with the events he's been through. These guys apparently had no adult supervision, small unit leaders with a little more maturity, to keep them on track. Now they are suffering the after effects of what they've done.

War sucks, yeah, can't argue with that. This kind of story makes the news, but the other 99% of U.S. forces do their jobs with dignity. Flame me if you want, you can call me another brain washed soldier, but if you haven't been there you have no clue whats going on.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by smokingmonkey

lol, must've dropped our posts in at the same time... Thanks for the post, it is exactly what I was saying.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

How many deaths does it take to corrode the center of your morals?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I am strongly pacifist by nature, and this is the reason why. Whenever you go to war, there is no if, and, or or's about it. It is hell. Not only for the soldier, but for the people in the war zone, and the family of both outside of the war zone. The best way to stop this war is to stop the funding. Yes, it means that bush will probably keep fighting for a couple months with no supplies, but realise this the war would end. And while it would be devastating to troop moral to loose funding, realise that this is why the congress control the budget, not the executive. If a group of politicians with a set of balls would actually filibuster the next round of funding, that would get the point across.

How can 80% of america say we are on the wrong track, and congress act so irresponsibly as to say, well we can't. This in my opinion is BS. they have the right and the obligation to get this country on coarse, that includes withdrawing american troops out of IRAQ. Closing american bases that are in unwanted parts of the world. Cutting the defense budget. etc....

Camain

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Me too, DD. Winter Soldier, Vietnam was brutal; have yet to see the
Iraq/Afghanistan version, but it sounds the same.

I'll come with you, to examine those heads...just one question: Do we
bring pharmacy for them; or our splitting mauls?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Thanks for sharing that story with all of us. I appreciate your effort & success in exposing those scum-bags, who make America look as bad as those diplomats, who steal millions of Americans' votes, and pretend to represent us on Capital Hill.

This video shows the mean-spirited type of soldier we've all become used to seeing. He told a story about common war-atrocities he was proud to be involved in:

Army Soldier testifies to Rape & Torture

In the following video, you may watch Samuel Provance being interviewed by Amy Goodman. Samuel Provance was punished for telling the truth about what was going on at the Abu Ghraib Torture-Facility/prison:

Samuel Provance Speaks Out on Torture and Cover-Up 2008 (Part 1)
Samuel Provance Speaks Out on Torture and Cover-Up 2008 (Part 2)
Samuel Provance Speaks Out on Torture and Cover-Up 2008 (Part 3)
Samuel Provance Speaks Out on Torture and Cover-Up 2008 (Part 4)

[edit on 20-4-2008 by ChadAndrewATS]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
it seems some people here think we are mindless robots. they fear we will turn the country into a police state. we have families too and there are ten times as many good events as there are bad taking place in Iraq and Afghanistan. It is your right to be opposed to war. However it is better to die on your back than live on your knees to a world that shows apathy to terrorists.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by nonwo1

Not totally true nonwo1---We are mostly opposed to POLICIES and our gov holding the world (including our soldiers hostage)...Stories like these are extremely heartbreaking, no matter WHICH side of the coin it's coming from. I think everyone just wants our guys to come home, and to stop this endless bloodletting.

And I have seen soldiers on this very site say that they would step up and fight alongside the populace if martial law was imposed, so I'm confident that we will be united for the best cause in the end.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This reminds me of Abu Gharab Prison where the soldiers were taking orders to do different types of torture from a "higher" authority. Soldiers should know that they are sworn to oath to protect the people of the United States, not to be the pawn piece of these elitist that profit from this war.

The White House and every type of money hungry parasite that has strings to control our country should be cleaned out. This whole system needs to be redone. Maybe we shouldn't have a president at all.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This crap has to stop. It is the way these Army recruits are basically brainwashed (much the same way the "terrorists" are) to become animalistic, and drop all sense of humanity so they may carry out their orders no matter how horrible the outcome.

It is that they have come what they feared might be wantingf to kill them, and they cannot see this until it is too late. They in essence have become terrorists that commit these atrocities.

I call for anyone in any army in any world to quit, get out, and don't look back. Why waste your life, and potentially someone elses? What do you think will become of your own mind/s when you wake up from your brainwashing only after crimes like these were commited? Do you really think you'll be able to live with yourself once knowing you have been conned by an institution that merely sees you as a number?

Not just for your self, but for your loved ones. Just get out, and live, and love life, and NEVER regret that.

watchZEITGEISTnow

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
if this country or world came under attack would you want to be a sheep guarded by sheep or a sheep guarded by a wolf to fight off the other wolves? its not brainwashing. you have to understand that if you dont have a combat mindset when you fight you will die. disolving all the nations militaries will not change anything except our level of defence. a major part of this site deals with possible alien threat to our world. if it is to be we need to be ready. as far as war crimes are concerned, there is an underlying problem with the individual. the military preaches values and honor above all else. if the individual has none to begin with then they will exoress none in the face of judgement. try studying the history of each of the branches of service before making snap decisions. irrational decisions and poor judgement put any mission in danger. even a mission to change the world to your own views. which is what a one government world would do.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nonwo1

I would call it brainwashing. My dad was in the Air Force, uncle in the Marines, and my step dad was in the Army. All three of them have said that when they were in bootcamp they completely stripped them of their personality and everything that they were, and taught them how to kill.

That to me sounds alot like brainwashing.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Hardly all soldiers are like that and that's stereotyping my friend.

I am a soldier in the US Army and I would never do what they did.

I know a few here that would but that is a different story.

Why the hell are they blaiming Iraqi's for 9/11 anyway? because they are semitic Muslims? idiots...(guys on the Abu Ghraib video)

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

If your dad was in the Air Force and "taught how to kill" in bootcamp, it was a different boot camp than I went to. Unless you count 15 minutes (total) of shooting a paper target.

However, I do agree that bootcamp is brainwashing. It has to be - there is no other way to form a distinct fighting force that responds near unquestioningly to commands as they filter in from the top. Unfortunately, when combined with the brutal nature of humanity and the psychology of war (and displacement, an under-examined factor that most GIs experience), it means # like this happens. And there is no excuse for it.

My real hope, though, is that when the chips fall, the other 80-99% of us former, current, and would-be veterans (the true modern minutemen, as it were), would step up and defend the country - and not in the sense of borders, but in the sense of ideals; such that defending our country is akin to defending the basic freedoms of any common man.

Still - it's depressing. Thus the name.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
its funny how most of the people that say the military is jacked up are the ones who recieve their info. from other parties. your family is right they strip you down to get rid of any part of you that thinks team work is not the way and they teach you how to kill. we dont use squirt guns and this isnt the boy scouts. once again if you cant defend yourself do you want someone who is just as weak to do it for you or someone who can pull the trigger or go hand to hand. one more time, study the history of each brance of service. i personally like this site because conspiraciesa interest me but i would rather be able to take action instead of whining and predicting. on that note good job predicting the cali. earthquake. is the government hiding the fact that half the west coast is now underwater?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
or did the greys make us shift to an alternate timeline in which the quake never happened.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I'm former Air Force and I have a son currently serving in the Marine Corps and I am repulsed by anyone who needlessly take a life.

That being said, if what is being talked about here is for real, then the proper military authorities should investigate and prosecute these men and their superiors. I have no doubt that many horrific incidents have occured since we entered into this war. But, ultimately these men are responsible for their actions and their superior officers are responsible for them.

There are rules, even in war.

[edit on 20-4-2008 by sharkman]

new topics

top topics

join