It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Website of exiled Tibetan government hacked: Report

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Website of exiled Tibetan government hacked: Report

www.phayul.com

New Delhi - The official website of the Tibetan government-in-exile in India crashed Friday, Tibetan officials said.

The website, www.tibet.net, offered "page can not be displayed" or if surfed from within the United states takes one to pages of web hosting service providers like bluehost.com that says "There is no website configured at this address. You are seeing this page because there is nothing configured for the site you have requested."

The hacked website, built eight years ago is the online platform of the exile Tibetan government's press releases, and official news reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
ia.rediff.com

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Additional snippet of an article from: ia.rediff.com...

The development comes amid media reports that some computer servers of the Ministry of External Affairs were attacked, apparently by Chinese hackers.

The website carried anti-Chinese statements since March 10, when Beijing [Images] ordered a crackdown on the worst riots since 1989, which erupted in the Tibetan capital Lhasa, a popular Tibetan website, Phayul.com said.

The Dalai Lama's official website -- www.dalailama.com -- is safe, it said.

However, Kalsang Rinchen, a former editor of the website, told Phayul that he did not see any anti-China statements on the website. There were appeals to stop killings in Tibet and allow free access to media.

Rinchen said the site strictly operated within the exile government's policy of 'middle way' approach of seeking dialogue with China.

The Chinese government has done worse things than hacking the exiled Tibetan government's website. The have done the following to the Tibetans & foreigners:
1. Tortured.
2. Kidnapped.
3. Raped.
4. Forcefully sterilized the majority of the Tibetan women they've kidnapped, and even cut off mens' testicles.
5. Murdered over a million of them.

The Chinese government wouldn't hesitate to hack that website, since they've been doing more intrusive things than that, very often. They even monitor Tibetan women's menstrual cycles.

Undercover in Tibet (www.channel4.com)

Tibet, the 'great game' and the CIA (www.atimes.com)

www.phayul.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-4-2008 by ChadAndrewATS]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ChadAndrewATS

China has a nice reputation going when it comes to hacking. www.usatoday.com... It only shows the world that what they want they take and what they do not want the world knowing they silence. The genocide in Tibet and East Turkestan is because they want. The hacking of American secrets is because they do not have the expertise and they simply steal it. I think China is bitting off a little more than they are able to chew. Now china has decided to boycott France. I say they should boycott America, the U.K and Germany.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Witness2008, I know what you mean. The Chinese government seems to have made more enemies than ever before by continuing to torture, steal, & threaten their captives & peaceful protesters.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ChadAndrewATS

Starred and flagged. I am pleased that the members here stay on this subject.

I think China is finally beginning to feel the heat. My fear is that they will retreat behind that wall again and no news or progress will happen. I am hoping that the light that now shines on tibet will be bright enough to shed some on East Turkestan (xinjiang). That country is more hidden than even Tibet with the same systematic genocide happening.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Why automatically blame such a thing on Chinese hackers?

Do any of you know how blatently easy it is to "hack" something? (the correct term is cracking in this context) One little programming mistake, a number too big squeezed into an array too small without proper bounds checking, and if someone finds out about it... boom, you're software is done. This is just one of MANY almost too simple ways someone is able to gain administrator access on a server. This is stuff I knew when I was thirteen years old, tens years later i'm sure there is plenty more kids using cyberspace as their graffiti walls.

To say an attack originated from somewhere is almost impossible to figure out. It is standard practice to route attacks though VPNs, proxies, other cracked servers, into more cracked servers, through more proxies, until you decide you've put enough buffer to be sure that you wont be traced, and guess what, whatever the last server you came from is going to show up as who cracked it. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.. servers are notorious for being unsecure.

In conclusion, this could just as well been a bored kid in his moms basement in South Dakota playing around with a new security hole he may have found. Its too easy to point the finger when it comes to hacking and such, and most of the time the finger is pointed at the wrong person.

[edit on 19-4-2008 by deadline527]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

I appreciate your kindness. I'm glad when people stay on certain topics, whenever it's necessary too. Thanks for sharing what you know about the Chinese government's orchestration of the genocide in Turkestan & Tibet. Chinese protesters & freedom-fighters in general should keep a close eye on the armed Chinese Soldiers seen with Senior Army Officers in Zimbabwe too.

reply to post by deadline527

Why should we blame or suspect that anyone beside the Globalists (including the Chinese government) would hack the Tibet government's website?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Starred and Flagged! Great thread Chad!

China's Human rights abuse record is something that would have made the neanderthals cringe. It is amazing that these types of grotesqueries are still taking place in the 21st century...WTF is wrong with humanity?

[edit on 19-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChadAndrewATS
Why should we blame or suspect that anyone beside the Globalists (including the Chinese government) would hack the Tibet government's website?

Because anyone with a background in network security could tell you that even a child could crack government boxes if he had the right tools. While this would be considered a "script kiddie", it is still extremely viable. One program executed remotely could give you root access on a server, and you wouldn't even have to telnet or ssh into the box.. If someone wanted it to make it look like China did it, that would be an extremely easy task.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChadAndrewATS
The Chinese government has done worse things than hacking the exiled Tibetan government's website. The have done the following to the Tibetans & foreigners:
1. Tortured.
2. Kidnapped.
3. Raped.
4. Forcefully sterilized the majority of the Tibetan women they've kidnapped, and even cut off mens' testicles.
5. Murdered over a million of them.

Here's a documentary about an undercover British Tibetan in Tibet. He interviews many Tibetans living under harsh Chinese rule.

Google Video Link

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
This is not surprising at all that china would direct their hackers to take this site down. When I ran a website at WPAFB, Oh. we used to get thousands of attacks that we could trace back to China. Most were pathetic script kiddies, but many were from state sponsored schools and Govt. locations. I was always amazed at how they constantly fell for honeypots on my webserver.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Thanks Dimensional. I appreciate your kindness. I know what you mean about those wicked governments, who murder their own people just so they can have more control. They're totally blood-thirsty maniacs. They've lost common sense & they've lost the support of millions of foreigners because they're torture-victims have stood up against them, and exposed those criminal-governments' via the internet & some corporate-media outlets.

reply to post by Hyzera

I appreciate you. Thanks for sharing that video with me & others. I'll watch it, again.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I posted this thread about yesterday's Chinese DDOS yesterday:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

All that came of it was knocking CNN out for a day or so across Asia and Australia, first by CNN's own hand, then briefly at the target of 9:00 pm Beijing time. Apparently the DDOS was called off due to too much publicity.

www.thedarkvisitor.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The tibetan exiles are racist and warmongering slavetraders who have no right to exist since ethnic tibetans only total around 20% of Tibetans nowadays. It is very good news to hear that their hatepreaching website has crashed.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
It's so funny and at the same time sad to see how (mainly western) pro-Tibetan supporters keep on patting each other backs and create whatever news and try to spread an anti-China propaganda on ATS and internet, disregarding and without any real supportive evidence and proof to back up outcry claims. (I am referring to at least the second post and the conversation following up that).

If you want to keep on topic, simply check the ATS threads first and post it in one of many existing threads. Or are the sources and evidence already provided on table is too hard to bare to support your meaningful course in bashing China?

Regarding this specific (or recent CNN) website hacking, I would not be surprised if one of the 1/4 of the World population got a bit too angry because of the recent anti-China hatred spreading in the Western world, that one of a Chinese nerdie hacker simply hacked it to feel good of doing something for his country. If he Chinese government wanted to hack and take out the Tibetan website, you can almost be guaranteed that the website would not have ran for more than 8 years without problems.

As for spying on internet with hackers, well that is a widespread known common international practice by any self-respecting countries. Same as all the junk satellites sent to outer space to "monitor" the world, or having a spy plane flying over the world to gather information. If you nly want to point fingers at China, then it means you lack a total sense of reality and your worldview is already too clouded with anti-China sentiments.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by IchiNiSan

sooo....if I dont believe China does good deeds only, I lack a complete sense of reality?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
So how much does the ministry of propaganda pay you to post on western websites in order to try and make china look better?

So are you really in china? If so I am surprised you can get to this website given how many websites china blocks because they don't put china up as the greatest in the world. I look forward to the olympics so that china's horrid abuses can be even more transparent to the world.

FREE TIBET from cruel chinese oppression!!

Independence for Taiwan, the true govt. of China.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
reply to post by IchiNiSan

sooo....if I dont believe China does good deeds only, I lack a complete sense of reality?

No, but don't simply cry out baseless claims, or simply repeating the accusations of what you have heard somewhere. I am not even going to argue about certain outcry claims when it is already widely discussed in other threads.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by US Monitor

another prejudiced biased viewed member of ATS. you can come to China by yourself, log on internet from ANY PC and try if you can log on ATS.

read my signature if you care.

Ps. Do you even know that Taiwan just elected a new president, and that the upcoming new Vice-President had met Hu Jintao? Ignorant

[edit on 20/4/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by IchiNiSan
No, but don't simply cry out baseless claims, or simply repeating the accusations of what you have heard somewhere. I am not even going to argue about certain outcry claims when it is already widely discussed in other threads.

Im not. I like both China and Tibet and want them to find a resolution quickly...one that benefits both sides.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join