It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Earth Gives Off Mysterious Low Hum

page: 1
2
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Earth gives off a relentless hum of countless notes completely imperceptible to the human ear, like a giant, exceptionally quiet symphony, but the origin of this sound remains a mystery. Now unexpected powerful tunes have been discovered in this hum. These new findings could shed light on the source of this enigma.




www.foxnews.com...

What could be the source of these hums? This is very interesting. To be honest I've never heard of this.




posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Master_Wii
 



Investigators suspect this murmur could originate from the churning ocean, or perhaps the roiling atmosphere.


I think that is the best explanation.

Also it's worth mentioning that these sounds can only be detected as vibrations through very sensitive seismographs.

If there is any semblance of a tune to be found then it would be by chance.

From chaos comes order, the most fundamental rule of nature.


All the best,

NeoN HaZe



posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Might be the Schumann (earth noise) resonance which currently is up from the normal 7 Hz to the now 7.8 Hz frequency. Supposedly anything above 8 Hz will be a problem. What kind of problem is not clear, but I do know our alpha brain waves maybe affected and cause some neural disturbance.



posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I would tell you all that it is the gravity that is given to us by the Sun. The path of gravity that the Earth follows around the Sun is changing. The Sun is changing it. This is making Earth a bit more powerful in the frequency range, it is also changing our weather. Earth is not the only planet in the solar system that is effected. All planets that use the Sun's gravity are changing.



posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Master_Wii
 



Perhaps the same cause that makes the aurora borealis "hum"...?
(Electricity-related phenomena?)

But I wouldn't bet on Fox News to be familiar with natural phenomena.



posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
The sun doesn't "give" gravity to the Earth. The Sun and Earth both have their own gravity fields. I do agree that maybe gravity could play a part in the cause of this sound though.



posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrayFox
The sun doesn't "give" gravity to the Earth. The Sun and Earth both have their own gravity fields. I do agree that maybe gravity could play a part in the cause of this sound though.
Which begs this question. Can we alter the earth's gravity if we alter this "hum"?



posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I wouldn't think so, since gravity is more or less a product of mass and not frequency vibration. String theory and extra dimensions notwithstanding.



posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by WorldShadow
Supposedly anything above 8 Hz will be a problem. What kind of problem is not clear


'Supposedly' according to who? Can you link your sources?



posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Could it be the 'Hollow Earth' dwellers choir practice? Or maybe Steven Fosset trying to contact us from his location in the 'other frequency' as has been suggested by others.....

Forgive me. I'm in a silly mood today.



Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic– Review This Link.


[edit on 21-4-2008 by Jbird]



posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Have you googled it ?. If not, I did some time ago and no longer remember the link but there is alot of information explaining it.



posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by WorldShadow
Have you googled it ?.


Nay, I figured you'd have a link



but there is alot of information explaining it.


There is?



posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
No, he spent some time Googleing it, so it must be true.

Obviously.


Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 21-4-2008 by Jbird]



posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I heard once that the type of music aliens listen to is the music made by solar systems and galaxies... thought it was worth mentioning



posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Originally posted by WorldShadow
Have you googled it ?.


Nay, I figured you'd have a link



but there is alot of information explaining it.


There is?


Yes, I suggest you do a search either on your favorite search platform or google. That is, if you are genuinely interested in obtaining the knowledge.


Originally posted by Johnmike
No, he spent some time Googleing it, so it must be true.

Obviously.


Is that a diminutive form of sarcasm?



posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by WorldShadow
 


I was interested in obtaining the information, which is why I asked for a link


You say there is alot of information on it. If you cared to share knowledge with your fellow ATSers wouldn't you take the initiative to locate some of that "alot of information" if you genuinely cared about others learning what you learned?

Anyways, you are defensive and my intent was not to attack. I was just interested in learning more. It's more "deny ignorance" if you provide the info in the thread for more to see then me (one man) googling it



posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by WorldShadow
 


I was interested in obtaining the information, which is why I asked for a link


You say there is alot of information on it. If you cared to share knowledge with your fellow ATSers wouldn't you take the initiative to locate some of that "alot of information" if you genuinely cared about others learning what you learned?

Anyways, you are defensive and my intent was not to attack. I was just interested in learning more. It's more "deny ignorance" if you provide the info in the thread for more to see then me (one man) googling it


perhaps than, you missed my previous response to your link inquiry. Here it is again.


Have you googled it ?. If not, I did some time ago and no longer remember the link but there is alot of information explaining it.


Did you see that part where I mention I no longer remember the link. All I can suggest other than have me hunt down a link I forgot but vaguely remember enough to create a comment from is to pick up on the opinion and do some self sluething for the information. Thats what I do when I read an interesting opinion or comment.

Not only does ATS deny ignorance, we also promote research into ideas presented that spark the mind to look further into its own desire to know by using the technology at ones fingers.

Google results for schumann resonance

Best regards,



posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by WorldShadow
 


I was merely thrown off by the fact that you said there was "alot of information" on it, but then you told me to search engine it. I was curious as to why you wouldn't yourself, and provide the info for all of us to see. But anyways, thanks for the....search engine



posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
OK, I know it's Monday
, so here ya go guys


en.wikipedia.org...
Schumann resonances (SR) are a set of spectrum peaks in the extremely low frequency (ELF) portion of the Earth's electromagnetic field spectrum. Schumann resonances are global electromagnetic resonances, excited by lightning discharges in the cavity formed by the Earth surface and the ionosphere.

This global electromagnetic resonance phenomenon is named after physicist Winfried Otto Schumann who predicted it mathematically in 1952. Schumann resonance occurs because the space between the surface of the Earth and the conductive ionosphere acts as a waveguide. The limited dimensions of the Earth cause this waveguide to act as a resonant cavity for electromagnetic waves in the ELF band. The cavity is naturally excited by energy from lightning strikes. Schumann resonance modes are observed in the power spectra of the natural electromagnetic background noise, as separate peaks at extremely low frequencies (ELF) around 7.8, 14.3, 20.8, 27.3 and 33.8 Hz.


More facts, figures, equations ...www.iihr.uiowa.edu...



posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by WorldShadow
Might be the Schumann (earth noise) resonance which currently is up from the normal 7 Hz to the now 7.8 Hz frequency. Supposedly anything above 8 Hz will be a problem. What kind of problem is not clear, but I do know our alpha brain waves maybe affected and cause some neural disturbance.


The human hearing ranges from 20 Hz to 20KHz

although the range is known to decrease with age...

as for the effects of sounds just outside that range... I'm not too sure, but i'm sure someone on here will know



new topics

top topics



 
2
<<   2 >>

log in

join