It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inmate files restraining order against GTA (Grand Theft Auto) Video Game

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Inmate files restraining order against GTA (Grand Theft Auto) Video Game

www.computerandvideogames.com

On April 9, inmate Jonathan Lee Riches, 31, filed a request for a temporary restraining order in a US District Court against Grand Theft Auto publisher Take-Two, developer Rockstar, FCI Williamsburg and "Grand Theft Auto" itself, claiming that the defendants "put me in prison."

Riches, who's incarcerated for wire fraud, wrote in his filing that he seeks a temporary restraining order against the "newest Grand Theft Auto games."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   

This isn't the first time that Riches has filed a lawsuit from prison. Riches sued suspended NFL quarterback Michael Vick last year for "$63,000,000,000 billion dollars," alleging Vick had ties to Al Qaeda. He didn't win. He's also unsuccessfully sued Martha Stuart, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick, President George W. Bush, Steve Jobs and Britney Spears, according to cited entries on Wikipedia.

Wow... Just WOW. This guy is totally BS. Wait.. I shouldn't say that he might sue me too...

However, in a way I do want a restraining order on Grand Theft Auto because it promotes drug abuse, violence, and sex through graphics. I've seen little 10 year olds playing this game and speaking "dirty" every 2 seconds or so. Riches might have a chance in my oppinion.

www.computerandvideogames.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/19/2008 by die_another_day]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

The game is rated MA. There's a Playboy game out there too, does that promote living a lavish lifestyle surrounded by superficial women? It's up to the child's parents to police the games that are played. I don't have a problem limiting what my kids are playing, or understanding that what they are playing is just a game. Nor do I have a problem limiting the hours they are playing the games.

If anything, maybe Riches ought to be sued for wasting taxpayers money by committing a crime and needing to be incarcerated.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Yes, because it's the video game's fault the kids are playing it. The video game talks to children and tells them to put it in and start playing.

Stop blaming the god damn video games. Blame the moronic parents who can't control their children or say "no."

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Mekanic

Agreed, it is obvious the man is not of sound mind.

Riches continued, .... I face imminent danger from violent inmates who played Grand Theft Auto who will knock me out and take my gold Jesus cross."

errrrrr, ok ?

[edit on 19-4-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
reply to post by Mekanic

Riches continued, .... I face imminent danger from violent inmates who played Grand Theft Auto who will knock me out and take my gold Jesus cross."

errrrrr, ok ?

I'm not so sure that he isn't the sane one and everyone else is insane. I think Joseph Heller would have been proud of this guy.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
reply to post by Mekanic

errrrrr, ok ?

Yea, I think that about explains everything.

[edit on 19-4-2008 by Mekanic]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Aww i have to be the one with the "crazy Christian" comment? Sheesh whats this board coming to ..
J/K btw.

Just thought the gold cross thing was funny . Are they allowed to even have them ?

I dont mind it being hard to obtain the game. And rating restrictions ect. But this is just weird. But ya gotta figure if you sue enough people . And since the burden of proof can be shifted . He's bound to win one some day . Well maybe after a few hundred tries ..

[edit on 19-4-2008 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I think there needs to be a law on mass sueing like that....people like that are part of the problem for the high insurance prices these days. Also the people who file false police reports to get people in trouble IE the Duke rape case. Peaople who cry wolf like that really screws up society.

SR

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
What are prisoners doing allowed to play on consoles anyway is the question one has to ask do you people have real prisons or holiday camps???

SR

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Double post.

[edit on 19-4-2008 by SR]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I am totally against all this 'blame the games/movies crap', I'm sorry if I offended anyone but this is perpetuating the bad cycle of not taking responsibility for ones own actions.

In the UK about 10 years ago an 8 year old boy(not sure about ages, it was 10 years ago, but these are thereabouts) was killed by 2 12 year olds. I'm not gonna go into details as it was pretty horrific, but the 2 12 year olds blamed the power rangers. This is basically my point, you can blame winnie the poo for being fat or you can blame Scooby doo for being a stoner, but the fact is at some point in your life, you made a conscious decision, you chose to do this. I happen to love GTA and yet I'm still to steal a car and go on a rampage, or murder anyone. I say stop blaming everything on anything and accept the fact that your decisions are your own responsibility.

Thanks. EMM

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
That's right, a person trespass against the law is someone else's fault.

Why is this man not working hard enough each day, in punishment for his crime, so that he is too tired and in need of rest and self reflection and therefore has no time and desire to write letters such as these.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectroMagnetic Multivers

Agreed, every time something happens, the first to get blamed is TV, movies, or video games. Parents need to start taking responsibility for their kids. If the parents do their jobs and teach their kids right from wrong, the kids will turn out better. I let my kids watch violence and play violent games, but we discuss the reality and the fiction involved.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

I think the solution to the problem of too many lawsuits is to have losers of a lawsuit pay the winner's legal fees. Many countries have this rule, but the US for the most part does not have this rule.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Can anyone obtain a restraining order against anything?

Doesn't it take a judge to issue a restraining order? If that is the case, shouldn't the judge deny the restraining order petition?

And what happens when someone sues somebody else, what happens when he looses, doesn't he have to pay any compensation? Or anybody can sue anybody without being punished in the case of fraudulent (or just stupid) cases?

And I think it's time people stop accusing inanimate objects of being responsible for their actions, my keyboard is not responsible for what I write.

He really has too much time on his hands, maybe someone can get a restraining order to keep him from getting restraining orders and suing people.

d11_m_na_c05
Just an off-topic question: is that photo from Portugal? It looks like a street in some small southern Portuguese village.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Yes, ridiculous. To echo some thoughts... it comes down to personal responsibility...
Be responsible for yourself!

I don't play anymore, but had played the game "Driver" when it first came out. My driving habits and thoughts while I actually drove my real car changed dramatically... feeling like I was slightly "in" the game.

But, guess what? I took responsibility and I quit playing... haven't played anything other than some golf on the computer since then, and very little at that.

And someone noted the "MA" rating. That doesn't matter. (Most) Parents don't care... stores will sell to minors... and parents don't monitor and teach their own kids anymore. They willfully have surrendered that to others. And if I had that feeling after playing "Driver"... I can just imagine what is in some of these kids minds after playing some of these REALLY warped/demented "games."

Games my @ss... it's another tool in the brainwashing/desensitization of these kids... and alot of those "kids" they started with, are now in their 20's. It's only gonna get worse if parents don't wake up. Unfortunately, the ones having most of the kids are the poor, uneducated ones (all races) who also never learned the concept of personal responsibility themselves... and certainly can't pass it on to the kids they are to be responsible for.

This is also another fine example of our judicial/legal system in need of DIRE reform.

[edit on 4/19/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I might be mistaken, but the requirments for a temporary restraining order are

1. That you will likely win on the merits of your case. This means not only will you likely win when your case comes to trial, but that you have a case to begin with.

2. Irreparable harm will result if the court does not issue a temporary restraining order.

In this guy's case, it is doubtful that he even has a case to begin with, let alone a likelihood of winning. He also cannot show irreparable harm to himself if the videogame makers are not restrained because he is already in prison. Taking the games off the store shelves at this moment will not undo his situation.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I agree with the proposal of something against myriad lawsuits.

Now to move on:

I personally hate games such as these, it's completely vile. Rated MA... So what? I see more underage children play it than adults. Why do people even make games like GTA?

I was being told to play GTA becasue it was the "trend"... Sounds like drugs right? Is it COOL to kill civilians, do drugs, and cause chaos?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

Well to be honest...in the video game world...yes.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join