It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jehovah's Witnesses?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

But you posted a website that talks about JWs. Why not post what the JWs have to say about it instead? Being a former JW, don't you know that not everything you read about them is true?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Trams

Here is why they believe Gods Name is Jehovah, because it is found in ancient texts in the Hebrew Bible. Hebrews recognize the name, but don't use it. It can be found in many Hebrew Verses. Yahweh, in Hebrew.

I am sorry to inform you but this statement is not entirely true. I understand that you are just trying to stand up for what you were told is truth but the name Jehovah is an incorrect pronunciation of the "Holy" tetragram YHWH. When I began college I was still under the spell of the Governing body but I wanted to take a class about the Old Testament, basically to test what I had been taught. I told my teacher that being raised a JW I had been taught that the name Jehovah was God's name and that JW's were the only correct religion because they were the only religion that used the "Holy" name. I asked what he thought about this. He told me that the word Jehovah was an incorrect transliteration that had been created by someone in the 13th century, that the word Yahweh was a lot closer to the correct pronunciation, but that this still wasn't correct because no one really knows how YHWH would have been pronounced because ancient Hebrew contains no vowels. I tend to believe what this guy says by the way because he actually wrote the text book we were using and is some famous Old Testament scholar. I will find his name for you if you would like (I am too lazy to get it unless you really want it), I am sure if you emailed him with any questions he would answer.

Here are some interesting sites for you to take a look at. I dont necessarily agree with them but they make you think.www.freeminds.org...
and www.towerwatch.com...'s_witnesses_and_the_name_jehovah/jehovah's_witnesses_and_the_name_jehovah.htm

As to the questions you posed about the authenticity of my previous claims, I suggest for your own good you begin using the mind that was given to you by God to question the Watchtower Society's claims instead of just believing everything you are told by them.
Since you are on the internet (against the JW's counsel!) there is a wealth of information at your fingertips that will at least make you take a step back and re-evaluate what you have been told.
I am not trying to attack you, but I understand where you are coming from. The first step to awakening to the deceit is trying to defend what you have been taught is truth. Change occurs when you can no longer defend the lies, in good conscience.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I do particularly agree with their teaching that the United Nations will ultimately serve as the planetary government. The New World Order is very real, and the Witnesses know that the United Nations will help institute one world religion. I completely agree with this, as it's supported by the scriptures. They know this thing is coming.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I don't know much of what the religion itself is all about, but here there was a case once on a Jehovah's Kingdom Hall for child abuse and molestation. Apparently the church tells the members they cannot go for outside help ( police, 911, social services, ect) they must allow the church to decide punishment. There was a kid who claimed another member had abused and molested him, but the church felt they didn't need to report it, so it was much later that it was exposed and the proof or DNA was long gone, but he was able to expose this rule of the churchs'.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

No source? That is quite an accusation to make with no proof to back it up.
Have they been taking lessons from catholics?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
All religions are cults. Some are just more widely excepted and followed, but at their inception would have also been considered 'cults'.

Incidentally, my aunt is a Jehovah's Witness and she is a freako. Never was before... never have spoken with her about the subject, but I know she has no communication with my mom (her sister) and it stems from her belonging to JW. She also has nothing to do with her mother, who is in an old folks home and has Alzheimers.

[edit on 20-4-2008 by Rex Mundi]

[edit on 20-4-2008 by Rex Mundi]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Only once have I been approached by a Jehova witness, well, she rang the doorbell.

She came up with a man, I thought she was frikking hot.

They didn't even try to convert me or w/e, they just asked me political stuff, and what I thought would happen in the future.

I only realized they were Jehovah's when they gave me a few of those little magazines in which god was mentioned.

But the content of those magazines wasn't very religious either, just how religion ''helped'' them.
(Them being people in the magazine that had various problems.)

[edit on 20/4/08 by -0mega-]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
blindtheory,
Thanks for the information. Sorry if I made it seem like I believed that stuff. I was just simply stating that they get the name from ancient texts. Frankly, I'm probably not going to worship anyone or any religion in the future. Religion is a load of bananas. I don't need his name, the links were enough thank you. Translations get mixed up all the time!

JediK,
What? How do you know all of this stuff! Any links for more information? Would be interesting. If you could.

space cadet,
Well that really sucks if its true. Are you sure this was an accurate story? I know how they like to keep some stuff secret, and in the "community".

Rex Mundi,
Well theres another very interesting point. All religions are a little wacko. But thats why you should stay away from them!

-0mega-,
Ya some of the women are pretty hot.

But seriously, it was a nice experience right?

Thanks for sharing everyone. I pretty much got All that I needed now.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer

Here is a pretty damn good source for you. The woman who created this website use to work at Bethel (main headquarters for JW's), and left when she realized how extensive the child molestation coverups are in that religion. Read through her site, you may be shocked.
Silent Lambs

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

reply to post by Stormdancer777

But you posted a website that talks about JWs. Why not post what the JWs have to say about it instead? Being a former JW, don't you know that not everything you read about them is true?

Because people like you to back what you have to say up with some facts,

Just like you didn't know they had predicted the end of the world numerous times,

so I backed it up with documentation.

and i try to use reliable sources.

There was no secret in the JW's writings about the failed prediction in the 70's, that part bothered me, the failed predictions.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Now Blue, you just criticize me for using sources
, lol

I am not anti Witness and I do agree they brought many interesting things into light I might not have ever known, I just wish they would have kept investigating like their founder.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by blindtheory

Here is a pretty damn good source for you. The woman who created this website use to work at Bethel (main headquarters for JW's), and left when she realized how extensive the child molestation coverups are in that religion. Read through her site, you may be shocked.
Silent Lambs

I had no idea.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Trams

How do I know all this stuff? I was raised that way, so I've come to know most of the information over the years...interesting stuff too.

For instance, they say that this New World Order thing has been in the works for years - and we already know that. The big secret they say is that the UN eventually wants to abolish all forms of religion and replace it with one world religion. I can kinda see that...the first thing anyone thinks of now about Islam is...TERRORIST! These people in control of everything think that religion is the cause of all problems - wars, etc. Get rid of it completely to solve the problem.

They also say that we haven't seen anything yet in terms of how bad things are going to get. I mean, it's supposed to get horrible before the "end" happens. After the "end," the beliefs get somewhat confusing and "out there." But...I think they're on the right track so far.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JediK

Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe that the UN will bring in one world religion.
They believe that the Nations of the world along with the UN will completely destroy All religion.

They believe that all false religion is pictured by the harlot that rides on the back of the Wild Beast , which represents the combined Kings of the world, that is the nations. They believe that God will put the thought in their heart to destroy religion who they will see as an impediment to global peace.

After this happens they believe that the one true religion will remain standing since it alone has Gods backing. Obviously they believe that theirs is the one true religion. And then when the nations turn their attention to them, God will act and bring about Armageddon.

Let me qualify that by saying that that is the official view. Some individuals are prone to speculate and come up with persona; views that may differ slightly, however I have never met one who still has a good standing in their religion whose view differs significantly.

[edit on 20-4-2008 by Sparky63]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Some of these nutty accusations thrown around here are completely unfounded.
Especially the post regarding rooms reserved for beating their kids....complete nonsense.

Most Kingdom Halls have a separate room used as a library. They often have extra chairs in them for overflow seating, or for mothers to use who have noisy or unruly kids.

People should keep in mind that not all those who attend their meetings are Jehovah's Witnesses. Some bring little kids who have never had to sit quietly for any length of time. These people come from all different backgrounds. Individual preferences regarding discipline are left up to the parents. Some spank their kids...some do not.

That is no different from any other religion.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by hildar

"One of my friends went to that church and she had children by her husband and by another man, since her husband couldnt make children any more the church made another one of the men live with them to produce more children. To me that is a cult."

Edit: Censor circumvention removed.

[edit on 21-4-2008 by intrepid]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Trams

my dad is a jehovas witness im not or that religious, they are no cult.
hes a good guy.

all they do is dont believe in celebrating christmas, birthdays or easter because we dont really know when jesus was born, they do celebrate wedding anniversaries.
they dont give blood or take blood because gave us what we have got pretty much like " you get what your given", they keep cards in their wallets that say they wont take it.
they have bible studies, readings, just like a normal church. you can leave the church when ever you want and nothing will happen to you. theres alot of good people there, some are very good friends. all they want to do is "save" people from Armageddon because there is a limited amount of space in paradise, you can leave the church when ever you want and nothing will happen to you.
all they are is people with a belief if anyone on here is saying anything else they dont know what they are talking about.

ive seen some replys from people who say they use to be witnesses just ask them, theres no secret, no cult no nothing. Just a belief.

[edit on 21-4-2008 by onesockon]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by onesockon
reply to post by hildar

"One of my friends went to that church and she had children by her husband and by another man, since her husband couldnt make children any more the church made another one of the men live with them to produce more children. To me that is a cult."

Edit: Censor circumvention removed.

[edit on 21-4-2008 by intrepid]

Hildars quote is utter nonsense. The JW's have no compelling desire for families to produce children, nor would they ever encourage someone to commit adultery. That goes against everything they stand for.

Christians must stick to their marriage mates in faithfulness, in love, so remaining in it associated with God.

This does not permit a man to commit adultery or have sex relations with any other woman. He should be satisfied with and draw delight from sexual relations with only his wife; as it is written: “Drink water from your own cistern, running water from your own well. Why should your springs be scattered abroad, your streams of water in the streets? Let them be for yourself alone, and not for strangers along with you. Let your fountain be blessed to you, and get your enjoyment from the wife of your youth. A lovely hind, a graceful doe—let her breasts intoxicate you always, with her love be continually ravished. Why, my son, should you be ravished with the wife of another, and embrace the bosom of an adulteress?” (Prov. 5:15-20, AT)
Committing adultery makes the guilty one subject to disfellowshipping...
Watchtower 1956 10/1 page 585.

Or this more recent exerpt from their publications:

*** w06 11/15 pp. 22-23 pars. 11-12 Keep Yourself in God’s Love! ***

11 Love for fellow humans will deter you from engaging in sexual misconduct. (Matthew 22:39) Such love will impel you to safeguard your heart so that it does not entice you to steal the affections of another person’s marriage mate. Doing so could lead to the sin of adultery. (Proverbs 4:23; Jeremiah 4:14; 17:9, 10) Be like upright Job, who did not allow himself to be attentive to any woman other than his wife.—Job 31:1.

12 Respect for the sanctity of marriage can help you to avoid serious sin. God purposed that honorable marriage and sexual relations should be the means of propagating life. (Genesis 1:26-28) Remember that the sex organs have to do with life, which is sacred. Fornicators and adulterers disobey God, degrade the sexual act, lack respect for the sanctity of marriage, and sin against their own body. (1 Corinthians 6:18) But love of God and neighbor coupled with godly obedience will keep a person from engaging in conduct that could result in his being disfellowshipped from the Christian congregation.

I'm sure Hildar knows this to be true, if not I hope he, or she, has enough character to admit they are mistaken.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
"He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes" (Proverbs 13:24) and "Withhold not correction from a child: for if thou strike him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and deliver his soul from hell." (Proverbs 23:13-14)

Yes we were told to spank the kids, not beat them, I don't know why people are denying this happens at kingdom Halls,

Some of them need a good spanking.

[edit on 113030p://bMonday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by onesockon

they dont give blood or take blood because gave us what we have got pretty much like " you get what your given", they keep cards in their wallets that say they wont take it.

Yes I had one of those cards,

I think you answer about not recieving blood transfusions is off the mark
www.towerwatch.com...

29You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things. Farewell.

I believe these were dietary laws, however, I did need a blood transfusion after major surgery and I refused it because of the things the JW's taught me about how tainted the blood supply was, I do think it is a good idea for people to have blood transfusions if it is life or death, but in some cause like mine ,my blood count really wasn't that dangerously low.

[edit on 113030p://bMonday2008 by Stormdancer777]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join