It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nurse sacked after smacking son

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Nurse sacked after smacking son

news.bbc.co.uk

A former school nurse is to take legal action after she was sacked for smacking her 10-year-old son at home.

Susan Pope, from Malvern in Worcestershire, was arrested and her children taken from her after her eldest son reported her to police.

"The nanny state has come down on us with a sledgehammer to crack a nut and criminalised us for something that is not a criminal offence."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
One more reason why I do not intend on returning to the UK.

These small incidences are being turned into major problems and used as a fear campaign to control the masses.
There is a big difference between living a life with choices and living a life where you have to be careful what you do and say and where you go or who you talk to.

Some call this the Nanny state, others call it a police state. Either way.
The amount of people that are becoming "wardens" of the NWO is beyond belief. How are these people trained? Who trains them? Can all those involved really be part of the police state with the belief that it's the right thing to do and how do they sleep soundly at night??

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

I have no pity for this woman.

Smacking your kid for swearing at you is physical abuse in my opinion, and she got what she deserved.

If she was a nurse at the school my children attended, I'd want to see her sacked, too.

There is no reason, ever to physically smack your kids. Ever!

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
If I had cussed at my mom she would have slapped the B-Jesus out of me. Kids need spankings. When that right is taken from parents all is lost.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

So this lady deserved to lose her job and be locked up for 32 hours for chastising her own child?
She didn't assault her kid, she gave him a smack which I think he deserved. There are gangs of out of control kids running the streets, doing drugs and mugging old ladies because they have no fear or respect for authority. There is no punishment.
The older generations will remember getting caned at school for bad behaviour, or getting 'a clip round the ear' by the local Bobby if you got caught doing something you shouldn't. Most often the fear of these things was enough to make you behave yourself. In my opinion its the lack of discipline that has made a generation of yobs in the uk. Had a few more of them had a smack the streets would be a safer place.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

What utter rubbish.

Let me give you an example to put it into perspective.

My daughter is 4, coming on 5. Everyone says she is well mannered, respectful and well behaved. I spank her when she misbehaves, but quite often now the mere threat of a smacked bottom is enough to curb bad behaviour.

My partner has a 4 year old son, nearly 5. She doesn't believe in spanking and uses the "naughty corner". He is badly behaved, has no respect for her or her property, is foul mouthed and, to be blunt, quite a horrible little bugger sometimes. This complete lack of respect for her or anyone else is down solely to him not being disciplined properly.

I was disciplined when I was younger and I respected my parents and authority. Although my generation (1990's) of "youths" were disruptive at times, we were only messing around and it wouldn't ever cross our minds to go rob, steal and assault random people like kids do today.

The current state of affairs in this country with the Youth are a direct consequence of this Governments attitude towards child rearing, the family and law and order, plus the complete absenteeism of any ability to effectively discipline children.

CX

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I have to agree with stumason on this one.

I smack my two daughers once in a blue moon, but even the hint of it will make them think twice about there behaviour. They are good kids, well behaved and well mannered. They know if they behave in a manner that is well out of order, it will not be tolerated.

I'd rather i gave them a smack once in a blue moon and they realise the error of thier ways, than go out into public and act in a way thats going to get them beaten up or veiwed like every other chav we have in Britain these days!

I live in a village where there are lot kids of rich parents, and they seem to be the worst half the time. Every day down at the school i see parents not bothering to discipline thier kids other than a "Oh don't do that darling", when thier kid has just hit or bitten someone. Sorry but my kids are not going to behavce like that in public.

My kids are happy children and caring, respectfull children too. They get praise from people wherever they go about how well mannered they are. They have not suffered from a smack now and again and they know this.

A smack does'nt mean an abuseive beating.

I feel sorry for this nurse, and i think she will get a lot of support during this.

Last year i was in a supermarket and my two kids were argueing. All of a sudden the eldest rammed the trolley into the back of the little one. before she'd even finished what she was doing she had smacked backside and her feet did'nt touch the floor before she was outside getting a rollicking from me.

When i went back inside the shop, i got an applause from two members of staff and an elderly woman who all said it was a shame more parents did'nt do it, maybe our country would'nt be the way it is.

I know people disagree passionately about this one, but i'm afraid i'm sticking to my guns on this one.

CX.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
I have to agree with stumason on this one.

Seems most parents think like ourselves, so quite where the Government gets it's ideas from is a mystery. It seems these days that the Government thinks it is there to tell us what to do, not run our country for us like they should be doing.

Originally posted by CX
A smack does'nt mean an abuseive beating.

Indeed. A smack on the arse is enough to stop bad behaviour, but is never going to physically harm the child.

Originally posted by CX
I feel sorry for this nurse, and i think she will get a lot of support during this.

Yup. I think she'll definitely win her unfair dismissal case, especially seeing as no charges where brought. Then thats even more tax-payers money wasted paying compo that wasn't really needed.

Originally posted by CX
Last year i was in a supermarket and my two kids were argueing. All of a sudden the eldest rammed the trolley into the back of the little one. before she'd even finished what she was doing she had smacked backside and her feet did'nt touch the floor before she was outside getting a rollicking from me.

When i went back inside the shop, i got an applause from two members of staff and an elderly woman who all said it was a shame more parents did'nt do it, maybe our country would'nt be the way it is.

On the flip side, for balance sake, I had a situation once in Clarks whilst fitting shoes for my girl (who was three, nearly four at the time) where she absolutely kicked off for no reason.

I took her outside the shop, gave her a smack on the bottom and a stern talking too, but when i came back inside, all the mum's and staff were looking at me like I had just split my gilrs head open with an axe and ate the contents!

All the while, the other children of these mothers where playing up constantly with the usual "Stop it please, Chantel-Louise, don't kick that little boys head in..." nonsense whilst mine is suddenly doing as she is told and stopped with the tantrum!!

CX

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I was brought up with a good hiding when i was naughty, but the only thing i don't ever do with my kids, unlike what used to happen to me, is hit them with something.

I used to get not just a slap with the hand, but a wooden spoon from the kitchen draw, a belt and worst of all for me was a piece of plastic toy car race track about a metre long. That damn hurt and i used to freak at the thought of getting that round my ass! In a lot of ways that left resentment even as an adult.

Like i said though, at the most...and i can't remember the last time i had to do it, just a smack on the backside or legs is enough for mine.

Not once have they ever said i was horrible for doing it, and i would listen and understand if they wanted to say that.

CX.

new topics

top topics

join