It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cross around the moon tonight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
can anyone see this? its crazzy looking...

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by leeza

Is this a halo caused by some haze in the atmosphere, or was this only visible in the pictures taken with the camera? Sometimes the camera optics (lenses, diaphragm, shutter) do weird tricks to images.

Please tell us more about the pictures you took: how did you see the phenomenon with your own eyes, what kind of a camera did you use and which settings did you use in the camera?

I can't verify this here in Northern Europe due to some clouds

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Is there a storm coming? I've seen this effect as well just before a front moves through (front of a storm, not the actual storm, but that part that blows really hard before the calm before the storm)... but I have to agree, cameras do some pretty strange things to the moon and other lights on a dark sky. But I bet it was with the naked eye that geared you to take the photo.

EDIT:
I'll look on my way home, as it appears to be cloudless tonight up on the mountain (usually it's cloudy when cool stuff happens in the night sky around here).

[edit on 18-4-2008 by WalkOn]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Lithium
reply to post by leeza

Is this a halo caused by some haze in the atmosphere, or was this only visible in the pictures taken with the camera? Sometimes the camera optics (lenses, diaphragm, shutter) do weird tricks to images.

Please tell us more about the pictures you took: how did you see the phenomenon with your own eyes, what kind of a camera did you use and which settings did you use in the camera?

I saw this with my own eyes, but it wasnt as blurry as it is in the picture,
I dont think there was any haze...I didn't see any

here are my camera settings

Nikon d300
F5.6
400 speed
170mm lens
expose time 0.625

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
leeza,

I can see the exact same thing with the naked eye.
I'm in South Florida if that helps.

I want to say its something I've seen before, but I think I saw it with two
more rays, so instead of four rays appearing to emanate, there was six.

It does look kind of odd, but I'm sure a resident ATS meteorologist
will come forward and explain this as some natural phenomenon.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by WalkOn
EDIT:
I'll look on my way home, as it appears to be cloudless tonight up on the mountain (usually it's cloudy when cool stuff happens in the night sky around here).

Up here on the mountain, 6,000+ feet above sea level, I see no cross, just a slight haze, but then more clouds are being produced up here on the mountain that might be causing the effect of me not seeing that. However I do recall riding in the car as a child looking at all the street lights and stuff and always seeing a cross or a plus over all the lights, so could be just an eye thing, or maybe you are being blessed this evening... either way, always cool to see stuff like that.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
At this point, it's looking more like a plus sign (+), like
it's slowly straightening out to form perpendicular lines.

There's lots of clouds passing over tonight, but I'm
having no problem catching glimpses of this effect.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Have you heard of the things that happen @ 22 degrees (F)? Living here in the north, Winter time gives me many chances to see this phenomonon. Lets say its 22 out side, you look @ a street light, and it looks like a cross, but the top part seems to strtch up into the sky and never end. This could be the answer.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Same thing in Cleveland Ohio. Just had dogs out to do their thing. 10:50pm est. Also saw a white orb straight line tragectory ssw size of a golfball at arms length cooking 45 degrees downward. Couple thousand mph at least. No sound, no report heard.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by leeza

reply to post by leeza

Nikon d300
F5.6
400 speed
170mm lens
expose time 0.625

In your camera settings, you forgot to mention,
"Creation Software; Picasa 3.0"
Can you upload a pic that's not been edited in Picasa ?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Of course there is most likely a real scientific reason for this, but in the old days and even with the Indians they believed these were signs. My husband said its a sign that something bad will happen. Figuring the earth quake happened yesterday and was felt from Illinois to Florida should mean something about old Myths.

Maybe it is a way to tell us more is coming? I do know that a circle or Halo around the moon means a storm is coming but a cross usually means something bad is coming.

Hilda

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by yellowbeard

Originally posted by leeza

reply to post by leeza

Nikon d300
F5.6
400 speed
170mm lens
expose time 0.625

In your camera settings, you forgot to mention,
"Creation Software; Picasa 3.0"
Can you upload a pic that's not been edited in Picasa ?

I didn't edit them at all, I always download them on picassa
to store them.

I just tryed to download them directly to my computer, and they went into windows viewer and i dont know how to find them to download into photobucket.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I think i figured it out

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by leeza

Ah, thank you, that's better, I get just a little suspicious when I see the words "creation software" maybe I've just seen too many U.F.O. hoax photo's. Now all I can say is nice pic.
Sorry for doubting you.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Yes I can confirm that this is ice crystals in the upper atmosphere causing refraction. I've such things myself, aren't they beautiful!!!

Clouded out here in England so who knows whether the effect is visible here, though I think it's probably a local phenomena

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowbeard
reply to post by leeza

Ah, thank you, that's better, I get just a little suspicious when I see the words "creation software" maybe I've just seen too many U.F.O. hoax photo's. Now all I can say is nice pic.
Sorry for doubting you.

No problem, I learned how to get my pictures on my computer
without picassa

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by timelike
Yes I can confirm that this is ice crystals in the upper atmosphere causing refraction. I've such things myself, aren't they beautiful!!!

Clouded out here in England so who knows whether the effect is visible here, though I think it's probably a local phenomena

Yes it was beautiful, i'll be looking again tonight too, to
see if its there again.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I think i solved the mystery. Just look up at the moon and saw the crosses. I was in my screened in porch. when i moved around the porch the cross also moved. I then went outside and looked and the the cross was gone. Went back and looke dthrough the screen and it was there again. My money says that all of you who see these crosses are looking at the moon through your screened enclosure. Am I right?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

You are absolutely correct.

My window has a screen on one side.
I can barely see it without the screen,
and the screen most definitely enhances it.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Lithium

yes i can see cross around the moon. i know that means something can anyone explain? its beautiful im looking at it now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join