It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living For The Now Defeats The Purpose Of Living

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
its as if we're all fortune tellers predicting that this is the final moment.....

why is everyone living for the now? and living for the moment? when you close your eyes, the world is still there, its not a dream. there will ALWAYS be another moment, whether you are there or not, so why are we living like there wont be?

shouldnt we be living for the next moment? or better yet, living for no moment at all, because life is a series of moments. existence is the space in between. and living is trying your hardest to make those spaces smaller.

in my eyes, living for the now is choosing life for now. but without thinking about any other moment, life escapes you. like when you jump off of something really big and its adrenaline and crazy and wonderful, but then its over and youre empty.

i know this is confusing and im begining to question why i am posting this. wait, no, i remember.

i want to know what you think.

live for this moment?
live for the next moments?
or live without moments at all?

*sorry, i put this in predictions because its about the future, i didnt quite know where else it would fit

[Edited on 2-25-04 by Scat]

[Edited on 2-3-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I live to gain knowledge, and move on to a higher existance. Most people live to please self, and I'm trying to break that cycle with myself and get out of this trap.

Basically I'm attempting to deny ignorance. That wraps it up nicely

[Edited on 25-2-2004 by lilblam]

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I live for the here and now and hope to be around when the next moment comes.

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
GOOD!
deny ignorance...now where have i heard that before?........

CULT!

hahahaha i kid, i kid

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
live for all three. you can live in the moment, just dont get lost in it. the future always awaits you and theres nothing you can do about it, just make sure that while living in the now you think about the then. although im stumped with how to live with the third because moments pass by all the time even now typing im having a "moment".
you can live for yourself just dont become selfish.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
the third is a more abstract thought.

instead of the quote "life is a series of moments", destroy the series, tear down the walls and bars, stopping points, point A to point B structure of LIFE. to me, life shouldnt be a series of moments. it shouldnt be just one big moment. moments start, moments stop. point A, point B. i save that for road trips, not for life.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
If you live for the future the moment has already been taken care of. The present is already handled by your foresight.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I agree, I try to keep an optomistic approch but sometimes I get tired confuesed with depression

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
^ Same here. I sometimes think too hard, and don't enjoy myself. I live for the moment, and the future, but I tend to dwell on the past too often. I sometimes focus too hard on the distant future too, and worry. Is this normal for someone just coming out of high school? Anyone have any advice for me?

[Edited on 2-25-2004 by TheAgentNineteen]

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scat
GOOD!
deny ignorance...now where have i heard that before?........

CULT!

hahahaha i kid, i kid

For me to poop on!

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
screw fortune tellers they predict they get cash after they say a whole bunch of crap about the world blowin up...its never going to go away unless our atmosphere says FU to the world and moves to some other planet...

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
What you stated when making this thread is very much the truth, too bad you do not understand what you said.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
were you talking to me or the guy who started this??

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scat
i want to know what you think.

live for this moment?
live for the next moments?
or live without moments at all?

*sorry, i put this in predictions because its about the future, i didnt quite know where else it would fit

[Edited on 2-25-04 by Scat]
I think it's best that we live in the moment, not off in some dream world, but meeting the present moment with all you've got, in the best possible way.

The next moment is only a dream. This is where imagination comes in. What do you hope to accomplish for the future? Would you like the world to be a better place because you have existed? The present is a gift, the future is made with our imagination, and the past is something to learn from, but, the moment is where it happens.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Scat i understand where your coming from i used to be like you in that respect but im changing and its the best why not live in the now why look for another time for happyness live in the now and the happyness from inside will flow all over you. Im not saying we shudent plan for the future i do it all the time but when i can i just live in the now thinking of nothing else just enjoying the gifts im given at the now.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Does it really matter how you live? As long as you aren't causing others problems, who cares?

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
But if you live a certain way you help become more wise to help more people.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
You should live for a purpose. Any purpose you decide is the one you should follow, although you should be sure you're following right before you follow it. If an afterlife is real, you'll be in trouble if you choose the wrong one. The "moment" itself has no real cause.

[Edited on 15-3-2004 by AttackHippo]

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Living for the now means to be happy and content with what you have. If you live for the future you will never be satisfied because �now� is never good enough. Living for the future means your mind is focused on the �what will be� rather �than what is�. You can live your life and not live.

Many of us are living in the future. Living in the future means:

Worrying about anything past today

Thinking about their old age

Worrying about how to get all the resources, money, food, work to finance the next year, next decade, the life of children when they are grown up in years from NOW, .........

The political future of the own country

The economical future of the own country

The economical future of the own business or employer

And more such thoughts

All this and more may keep your mind busy and away from learning Today�s lessons.

Doing today's work with all your concentration, with all your Love and all devotion needed and deserved by your surrounding environment.

Learning today, ALL the spiritual lessons God offered YOU TODAY, today really means TODAY - just look at a calendar, at your wrist watch and see what day we have TODAY. Today we all may have met people that had something for us to learn. Something for us to do to further proceed on our spiritual path of Love toward our final destination of our soul.

What if all you had left in your life was today?

All of you should be HERE - NOW

[Edited on 15-3-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
For all of the people that are preaching about living for today, what are you supose to eat tomorrow if you spend all your money today? Where are you supose to live if you give your house to a homeless person because you are out partying today? What are you going to do for money if today you tell your boss to screw himself and get fired because it is what you felt like you had to do in order to 'live for the day'?

Living for the day is a great concept, but it is simply detatching one's self from the responsibilities of tomorrow. It is glutonous and selfish.

TODAY, I was too busy 'living' in order to feed my baby or take care of an ill family member. TODAY, I didn't feel like paying my bills so tomorrow I will be evicted from my home. TODAY, on and on and on....

To some degree it is escapism; a way to get out of the resonsibilities that we take upon ourselves because, good or bad, those are the things that we feel we have to do in order to give our lives meaning and purpose.

Yes, all we are sure that we really have is this exact moment and we should be conciously aware of that in order to enjoy it, but not to plan for tomorrow is ignorant and irresponcible.

I can only assume that the individuals making these claims have very little or no experience taking care of themselves let alone taking care of others.

This is my honest opinion.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join