It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Devil's Pool

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Have any of you heard of the Devil's Swimming Pool. I saw an article about it on Snopes and thought this was really cool.

Here is the story: Snopes

Its says the swimming pool is at the very top of Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe, and at certain time of the year you can go swimming in safety just a few feet from the tip of the waterfall. It says for first timers that it does not appear to be something there blocking you from falling off the edge. Read this article because for some reason Snopes will not let me copy and paste it and they won't let me use their pictures either even though they are all over the internet. Anyways, Here are some pictures:

I apologize if anyone else has posted this story but I did check.
Anyways this just amazes me. What prevents them from falling? Has anyone of us been there? Please share.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by schism85]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by schism85

Anyways this just amazes me. What prevents them from falling? Has anyone of us been there? Please share.

This quote from the article seems to answer your question.

www.snopes.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

A natural rock wall? Thats odd, how does that stop them? Maybe the current is really slow in some months and its not strong enough to push them over the rock wall. I will look it up later.

By the way how did you get that snippet from snopes, they wouldn't let me use anything from their site.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by schism85]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
You would'nt catch me looking over any ledge like that! :shk:

...and by the videos, the current does'nt look very slow to me!

Knowing my luck, the rock would probably break and I would get swept away!

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

You wouldn't catch me up there either. I would be the first poor sap to fly right off the edge. I am afraid of heights anyway. Even looking at those pictures makes me nervous.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by schism85

Yes, I feel ya!
I tend to get weak in the knees being high up!
I would faint!

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by schism85

That's a screen capture.

[edit on 2008/4/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
That place is incredible. Likely cut out by the flood.

I've been there but I was little and don't remember much detail. What I do remember is the continual mist falling all around the place. It's like a continual rain.

Check out youtube and search for it.

Here's one random video:

[edit]

Google's satellite map gives a good view of the place.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by WiseSheep]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I have to wonder under just what circumstances was this phenomenon first discovered.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Givenmay
...and by the videos, the current does'nt look very slow to me!

I just read this on another site

Amazingly, in the dry season the current slows allowing for swimming in a small "safe pool" found at the edge of the falls.

Here is the link : Coastal Surfing

I can't find much info about it any where, but it seems like when the current is in a dry season, the water isn't so high, and the current is not packing enough punch to toss someone over the edge.

It still leaves the question of how the hell was it discovered in the first place?

new topics

top topics

join