It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Quietly Repeals Martial Law Provision

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This is all over the internet, but every single reference that I can find regarding this issue is from a single author: James Bovard.

Bovard was one of the loudest critics of the martial law provision, so I guess it's only fitting that he'd be the one making this announcement.

So, we had a couple of years of gloom and doom predictions regarding this provision and now that it is repealed, even though I'm pretty sure that the Commander-in-Chief has always had the authority to declare martial law under the right circumstances.

So, now that this scourge of democracy has been wiped from the books, where's the positive response, even though nothing ever came fo the provsion, anyway.

Is everyone here so depressed and pessimistic that there is no such thing as good news?

Google Search: James Bovard

[edit on 2008/4/22 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Have you read the rest of the thread?? You make it sound like this removes the Bushwhacker's ability to declare Martial Law. It does not.

To quote Maxmars ealier:

Unfortunately this particular repeal, while an excellent development from a public perspective, does not really make it impossible for the 'dirty deed' to be done. It will just make it necessary to be more 'blatant'. In effect, it just took away the 'congressional camouflage' of martial law. To which I think many a junior legislator is letting forth a sigh of relief. But that's just my opinion.

The bleeding "Patriot" Act, along with many other documents (and many "secret" so we don't even know about them!) spell out that it would not take much of a disaster or "terrorist" attack for us to be summarily Bushwhacked.

This is a publicity stunt, and it seems it is for people who will point at it and say, "Look! We are no longer threatened with this! Rejoice!"

[shrug]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
ok, but isnt any step, no matter how small, forward still a step forward?

the journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step, no one said it had to be a big one.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

Well, I think we might all be guilty of it to some extent.

I had a very unsettling supernatural experience years ago. I don't know what scares me more, the fact that it happened, or the fact that I somehhow forgot about for about a year until the memory re-surfaced when I went walking in the same place it had happened.

Here is the story of that event...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

But still, this stuff with secret societies and elite agendas and such is not really so far out there. Is this people's "fear sensors" shutting them down, or something more deliberately induced?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Damocles

Not this time, because they will only use this to dicredit anyone else who tries to stick up for our rights. It'll only be the wacky tin-foil hat conspiracy nuts that will have any of this figured out, while everyone else thinks it's all been taken care of and that anyone who thinks otherwise is paranoid.

[edit on 4/22/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I said it before and I'll say it again - when the lights come on they scatter and run under the fridge.

Our legislators are 'suddenly' becoming aware that their 'constituents' are watching them, and they are not as stupid as they were told by the PTB. It's damage control time. The parties themselves must do all in their power to claim to have 'no connection' to the power struggle of, and distance themselves from, the corporate junta's machinations.

Unfortunately this particular repeal, while an excellent development from a public perspective, does not really make it impossible for the 'dirty deed' to be done. It will just make it necessary to be more 'blatant'. In effect, it just took away the 'congressional camouflage' of martial law. To which I think many a junior legislator is letting forth a sigh of relief. But that's just my opinion.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by Maxmars]

Indeed.Americans are paying attention and politicians know now that you are watching as well as others from around the globe.This is the positive side to all the tech we have at our disposal.There is still some honest folk working for america.This one is pleased!

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

eh, they gave us and "inch" now we just need to figure out how to take that "mile"

call me an idealist but ive not lost ALL faith yet.

emphasis on "yet"

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Sorry I'm late answering you. I guess what I'm trying to say is these "checkpoints" have been going on for years and although I have little faith in our police, Memphis is extremely dangerous and at this point I trust the police more than my neighbors. Random checks may be a witch hunt in many places but here it is welcome by most of the innocent if it will get even a few of the rapists and murders off our streets.

I did see traffic checkpoints. Sadly Memphis is so racially motivated that anyone stopped that was not white and had nothing to hide immediately screams racial profiling, martial law, witch hunt, etc. not noticing all the different skin colors that were being stopped as well.

I did not hear of any raids on innocent businesses but I will look further.

I'm willing to sacrifice some of my "rights as an innocent citizen" and hope they don't arrest me for no reason at one of these checkpoints if the kids here could walk across the street without fear of being shot and killed by a stray bullet.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by Bachrk]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bachrk
reply to post by Amaterasu

Sorry I'm late answering you. I guess what I'm trying to say is these "checkpoints" have been going on for years and although I have little faith in our police, Memphis is extremely dangerous and at this point I trust the police more than my neighbors. Random checks may be a witch hunt in many places but here it is welcome by most of the innocent if it will get even a few of the rapists and murders off our streets.

There is a big difference between local police running a drunk driving checkpoint and a combined fed/state/local police operation that invades business among other things with no warrant and no probable cause.

I did see traffic checkpoints. Sadly Memphis is so racially motivated that anyone stopped that was not white and had nothing to hide immediately screams racial profiling, martial law, witch hunt, etc. not noticing all the different skin colors that were being stopped as well.

I did not hear of any raids on innocent businesses but I will look further.

I'm willing to sacrifice some of my "rights as an innocent citizen" and hope they don't arrest me for no reason at one of these checkpoints if the kids here could walk across the street without fear of being shot and killed by a stray bullet.

Did you really say that?!? Oh, sir. Therein lies the problem in a nutshell. They have pushed, and we gave a little freedom. They pushed some more. And more freedom was given. Now... There's scant freedom left unless your choice is to conform.

You know how to get rid of the problem? Legalize drugs. That alone would rid us of most of our crime, right there.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join