It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.S. Nears The Limit of its Water Supplies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

The U.S. Nears The Limit of its Water Supplies

alternet.org

The writing has been on the wall for some time. The private sector has been showing much interest in water as a source of profit, and water privatization has been an issue in many parts of the country.

The failure in public water systems has indeed been a contributing factor for this interest. In many cities, consumers have been organizing and opposing the privatization of water utilities, because they have been concerned about affordability or deterioration in the quality of service. Environmental organizations and consumer activists have also been concerned about the socio-economic, health and environmental implications of ever increasing bottled water use. But for most of us living in the U.S., water is something we take for granted, available when you turn your tap on -- to brush your teeth, to take a shower, to wash your car, to water your lawn, and if you have your own swimming pool then, to fill that as well.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Brace yourselves---This is the next catastrophe on the horizon.

I have been reporting about this for a while now, and it is inching ever so closer to fruition---The restriction and PRIVATIZATION of WATER REGULATION.

This will be the next profiteering venue that we are going to be raped over--Mark my words. Water will become regulated, and we will be paying OUTRAGIOUS prices to go along with Food, fuel and housing costs. And we will have no choice in the matter when it happens.

It's coming. Be prepared.

Water concerns are not restricted to the southeast region -- similar issues have also been popping up in other parts of the United States. In the Midwest, concerns abound as to whether the newly emerging biofuel industry is putting undue pressure on the region's groundwater resources. The issue came into focus for the first time in the late summer of 2006 in Granite Falls, MN where an ethanol plant in its first year of operation depleted the groundwater so much that it had to begin pumping water from the Minnesota River.

alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Duh!
Since the bottle water craze it has become obvious that water is extremely profitable and something we cannot do without.
Therefore the population will have to pay any price to consume water.
There is no choice, pay the high price or dehydrate.

Sound familiar?
Either buy gas at a astronomically high price or don't work,buy groceries or pay bills.

It was only a matter of time before they thought of it.
Its a simple plan really. Make like there is a water shortage and start charging out the a$$ for water consumption.

Its pretty much 100% profit!

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I live out in the middle of nowhere, and we have our own well so all the water we get is from the well on our land.

Do you guys know if they can somehow start charging us for that water even though it all comes from our well?

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

Indeed---A very familiar pattern. These greed mongers wil figure out a way to hold us financial hostages on ANYTHING...Now it is crossing over into the basic necessities to sustain LIFE. It is sickening to see it all unfold right before our eyes, with calculation and orchestration.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I know that here in Nevada, a huge water pipeline project is planned, some $8 billion, if I remember correctly-- to bring water from the northern rural areas down to Las Vegas. Needless to say, the farmers in the rural areas are not happy about this.

(And as far as bottled water goes, you're probably better off drinking tap water because the chemicals leaching out of the plastic bottles are worse for you. Best thing probably is to filter the tap water.)

www.sciam.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
There's alot more to this than simple conspiracy theories about privatization, guys. While I have no doubt there has been widespread fear mongering regarding water (including fear mongering by environmentalist scare groups to try and get people to stop buying bottled water) for the purpose of future profiteering, there are also some very real situations on the horizon that will be costly both in terms of money & water supply.

The water distribution infrastructure of most of our older US cities has reached the end of its life cycle and desperately needs replaced. We're talking thousands of miles worth of water pipelines under NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago, LA, San Fransisco, Dallas, etc. That's going to be extremely costly, but we've already started seeing huge mains rupturing in some of these cities due purely to the lines being old and worn out. Somebody's gonna have to foot that bill and it's going to end up being a jointly shouldered cost between water use fees and general taxes. Leading into and during these replacements we're also going to see an increase in reports of contaminants in tap water systems, E. Coli, Salmonella, Amoebas, etc. This is thanks to a once closed system suddenly becoming an open system, open to all sorts of bacteria in the ground, as pipes break or as they are cut apart and replaced. I'm sure someone somewhere will fear monger those illnesses into a conspiracy aimed at getting more people to buy bottled water, so when it happens, I called that one.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Yeah, this has been coming "down the pipe" so to speak for some time..

I know in the U.S southeast, they wanna pump water from the cesspool they call the great lakes down to the dryer states..

but this is the thing that could help the U.S... all the infrastructure in the US needs to be fixed.. alot of people with out work right now so this could help to create jobs..

oh.. but wait.. sorry.. your fighting wars in the desert.. no money for fixing your own country... damn.. well, I tried! lol

bit of a side note.. I think I read somewhere that Las vegas will be outta water with in 20 years or something... lake mead is getting close to empty.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Id be much happier if they took the money from the stimulus package and put it toward the water problem. Like fixing pipes and upgrading city water facilities.
It would do much more for me and my children to have good clean water than it would be for me to buy a new DVD player or whatever they want us to buy with the money.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
That's not all, there is some very bad news. There is a bill in the House right now called the "Clean Water Restoration Act". It is anything but that. It has no provisions for clean water, but if passed, it would mean that ALL waters in the U.S. would be confiscated by the govt and given to the corporations to sell back to us. Even if you own your own land with a pond, natural spring or well, yes you will be charged for your OWN water that is on your OWN land. We have a pond and a natural spring that gives us plenty of water.

This bill will be a nightmare if passed. Alot of environmental groups are supporting it, which is weird. It seems like they haven't read the bill yet.
Here's more info, this is a very good site about the issue:

ppjg.wordpress.com...

"In one Canadian town several people became ill and one died from an ecoli contamination in the water supply. This occurred after the supply had been privatized, and the owner of the water supply knew of the contamination. The public was never notified until after people became ill.

In March of 2000 at the Hague, a meeting occurred where water executives stated that as long as water was coming out of the tap the public had no right to any information as to how it got there….. Or its quality."

I have this horrid feeling this bill will pass...

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
This bill will be a nightmare if passed. Alot of environmental groups are supporting it, which is weird. It seems like they haven't read the bill yet.

I don't find that wierd at all. Most of these environmentalist groups are part of the overall problem. They don't want John Q. Public to have any say over their own water, land, air, or even consumer habits. This artificial war against bottled water is a prime example. A large portion of the current energy & food crisis in the world today is directly attributable to them. If it wasn't for our food crops going towards biofeuls, we wouldn't see nearly the hunger problems, price gouging for grains, or water usage for growth of biofeul crops we're seeing right now. Add in all of the insane taxes and fees that are inflating the cost of gas and the cost of transporting & manufacturing goods and it's pretty easy to see they couldn't give a crap about humanity's financial, water, & food woes. Heck, the farce of man driven Global Warming has been advanced in an immeasurably huge way thanks to them. If people actually used their brains and opened their eyes, most environmentalist organizations would be seen for the fear mongers and fear profiteers they are.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I only heard anything in the MSM when they were having issues in GA and FL... then they got some rain and ya' never heard of it again. I'm sure the problem is far from solved. Anyone from that area? (sorry if I missed it above) Star and Flag, DD

I'll give you a shot of Lake Chad in Africa, 1971 and 1987 (I can find a 1997, but it is similar to '87) Fragile Earth pic #8, I believe (Not ATS's FE)

However, I will point out that there are other pics in that set that show areas where there is water, where there previously had not. I'll go along with 'climate change,' but I have a hard time with 'global warming.' And they gave that son-of-a-bitch the NPP? Ridiculous.

[edit on 4/18/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Maybe they realize that since the patents for engines that run on water have been released, they need to start profiting off of water, because soon our cars will run off of it.

LIMIT OF WATER SUPPLIES?? We have the entire ocean to purify.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
The Corporatization of water...I wonder what the name of the giant corp will be who dictates to us how much water we can have, and how much we'll be gouged for it? Any takers?

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

My Texas county is about to have an election about forming a groundwater conservation district for the county. Some say it can help within the state laws to limit water marketers and big cities from taking all our ground water. We will pay a small tax to fund it.

Really bad situation when people want to live in an area with little water and expect to take it from others. It just seems the average person take on life is just disgusting. Some people want everything even at others expense.

[edit on 4/18/2008 by roadgravel]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
TOTAL control is the goal folks, and that means everything down to food, water and even air under the control of the globalists. Of course they will always have some convenient excuse to offer, or some carefully constructed boogie man to show you in order to convince you of the necessity of giving them all power. They’ve got the legally constructed shackles on us now, and so the gloves are coming off. The regulation of private water sources is already beginning.

www.wral.com...

www.iowadnr.com...

Of course you can’t be allowed to collect rainwater either.

takomagardener.typepad.com...

www.newswithviews.com...

www.heraldextra.com...

THIS IS NOT A FALSE ALARM
THIS IS NOT A TEST
Nowhere we can fly away
Nowhere we can rest
The party is disrupted by
An uninvited guest

Now's the time to turn the tide
Now's the time to fight
Let us not go gently