It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.4 Magnitude Earthquake hits West Salem, IL

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I am in Kansas, KC Metro area really, and I heard the quake in the midwest this morning. My bedroom door shakes if there is a cross breeze or someone opens the front door to the house. I was awoken this morning by my door shaking and I got pissed off!!!! My first thought was, who the frick has their window open at this temperatute to allow a cross breeze and my door to shake!! I was yelling at my family memebers for being careless about leaving windows open and waking me earlier than need be. But to my surprise my house was sealed shut, so I decided to get over it and deal with the fact that I am up earlier than need be. It wasn't until two hours later that I heard about the quake on the news and that people in my area reported feeling it. So I am assuming that my door shaking and me being woken up early was in fact the quake that I felt. I do find it very odd to feel a small quake some 500 miles away.

I am a little worried since it's so close to the New Madrid fault. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a quake near a larger fault line cause some concern? If the New Madrid goes even a little over the 5.4 this one was then I can expect heavy damage in my area of the country.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I live in Greene County Indiana, about 50 miles from the epicenter and I was awake when the quake started shaking. I should have logged on ATS and reported it, I'm a dumbass. It was reported here that the quake hit Mt. Carmel, IL. I wasn't sure if it was a quake or a low flying jet strafing the house, they do all the time. Anyway, it knocked stuff down in my closet and my dishes settled a bit in the sink but it wasn't too impressive. What I was thinking was, I wonder if there will be larger ones soon and how does this fit in with the agenda of the Illuminati and the NWO? It might interfere with their plans if they can't control the outcome?

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I felt in up in Joliet IL, scary. Feels like the earth is trying to shake us off.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I woke up this morning to my burglar alarm going off, and the doors shaking as if someone were trying to get in. It sure woke me up in a hurry!

I grabbed my shotgun, did a quick check of the house, but found no one. This is the first I've heard of a quake. I must confess I don't read the local paper, or watch the local news. That certainly puts my mind at ease. I've been thinking we had a prowler! :O:

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I live in central Illinois and it woke my wife and I up. We have train tracks not too far behind our house and my first thought is that a train had derailed. But the sound was a bit louder and the movement was side to side rather than a "bouncing/rumbling" that we get when a train goes by.

I didn't hear twisting or grinding metal and my wife wanted to know what the heck was going on. We both came to the realization that it was an earthquake. Jumped on the USGS site and filled out the "Did you feel it?" report. When I refreshed the home page, I was in shock.

Just don't get these here very often.

Felt the 4.6 while at work.

Guess I'm just wondering now if this is a precursor to a bigger quake or are we good for another 40+ years.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
did anyone else besides me hear it, did you hear the roar?

[edit on 033030p://bFriday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by indierockalien

I live in La Grange Illinois about twenty minutes from downtown. What kind of danger am I in? I have never heard of an earthquake ever taking place in Illinois. I thought earth quakes only happned on the west side of the country. Wtf?? I have never even thought of the possiblities of an earthquake hitting so close to home.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Take a look at this website.

It sure looks like it was bigger than 5.4.

www.iris.washington.edu...

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I live in Missouri and was sitting on my porch this morning talking on my cell phone and felt it. I don't know how far away I am from Salem Il. But I even heard the boom that some witnesses have heard. I never knew earthquakes were followed by a boom. That or the sound got here faster than the tremor did.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

We heard a large boom like a mortar shell going off, but we're used to that living upside of Fort Knox.

[edit on 4/18/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
Here in SW michigan I think I was in the shower the dog was acting wierd all night though. Another guy at work said his dogs were acting wierd all night too. Mine was panting and pacing the house from about 1AM on.

mikell

I'm in S.E. MI as well. All throughout last evening all of the dogs in the neighborhood would all start barking for 10-20 min bursts. I said to my friend "I'll bet there's going to be some kind of 'natural disaster' tonight". I should have bet money but I suppose it really wasn't a "disaster" huh?

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by indierockalien
Earth Changes, anyone?

Im sorry...but I must disagree! I first thought 'Oh crap....we're all doomed," but then I started some research. In my mothers lifetime (42 years) there have been at least three in the wonderful midwest. The crust is older here, so it tends to carry the shock a little, and makes a tiny tremor into something notably larger.

No end of the world occurance here...move along...nothing to see here

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I'm in Bloomington and didn't even notice it or anything else that came latter. However, it has been fun telling people that earthquakes cause thunderstorms and having a few believe me.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
When I get *Concerned about The New Madrid Fault going into a twist&shout;
My MAIN CONCERN Is *THE PADUCAH,Kentuckt,Gaseous Diffusion PLant*
"Nuclear"...
My hometown is 35 miles from Paducah, Kentucky(extreme Western KY*The Lakes+BARKLEY +Kentucky DAMs Are There DAMMING UP THE Tennessee & The Cuberland Rivers, Then You Have Downriver Near THE "NUCLEAR Facility", A DAM WHERE THE OHIO Meets The Cumberland, THEN The Big Old Mississippi! I WONDER IF
**FEMA**"Has A BIG PLAN TO SAVE US ALL< WHEN/IF *THE NEW MADRID Goes TREMBLING HARD(I PRAY 2 MY GOD IT DOESN'T)!
LAST TIME IT SHOOK HARD< "REELFOOT LAKE"(BIG Lake!),
IN TENNESEE WAS FORMED!

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by indierockalien

1:19PM, PST, May 21, 1984, I was taking a shower on the second floor of government housing in the USAF, Milpitas, CA., 2 blocks from the Calaveras Fault- when a 6.6 hit! The whole place was twisting and hopping at once as car alarms sounded aaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllll the way down the Calaveras Blvd. So this little 5.4 was nothing to me here in Des Moines, IA.

I actually worked through it at the store. But the New Madrid Fault, woooooooooo boy that baby stretches from just Northwest of Chicago to New Orleans. When it cut loose in 1758, records show it rang bells in Boston and the local indians said the Mississippi river FLOWED BACKWARD for a few seconds!

So we'd better pray that New Madrid is letting off some steam under its tributary faults or we're in for a good one next time. Rock and Roll!

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

When I went through mine in 1984 I heard a noise. At first I thought it was another dump truck of concrete slabs leaving the construction site near me, but then the rumbling ceased and the earth started shaking. The roar and subsequent "boom" that may have been heard was just the strata of metamorphic rock grinding against each other and settling to a halt.

What I'd like to know is if there were any UFO reports or what geologists call Quake Lights the night before?

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   

I'm about 30 miles north of Louisville, KY and I heard the roar about the same time the quake happened, during the first one anyway. I didn't feel the others today. I was awake feeding my four month old when it hit here and my dog went nuts. It woke my husband up, but our five-year-old slept through it.

The only other time I've felt a quake here was in late 2001 or early 2002, but it was nothing compared to todays quake.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I'm in St. Louis. We sit on bedrock here and the effects are dramatic. It woke me and I could hear my washer and dryer shifting and shaking. I did not here the boom, probably because of the distance.

My dog and cat had been acting nervous and neither ate their meals, last night or this morning. My dog Gypsy is still nervously pacing and refuses to go out doors.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Arlington Heights, I didn't even know it. Slept right thru.

Although a friend told me that his dog started wigging out and making strange sounds about 30 seconds before the quake. He was in Shaumburg.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Really didn't feel it in Cleveland. Thought I heard Metro lifeflight go over around 0537 though. Jet propelled sykorski, it always rattles stuff. Others in area reported feeling it, bed shaking etc. Really didn't personally.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join