It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12,000 Year Old Temple Found in Turkey

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I dont beleive in the 2012 thing or that we are in a time loop, too much like a Dr Who script !!!
However i will stick my neck out and say this. Mankind has been around for much much longer than we give ourselves credit for. i think finds like this illustrate we were much more advanced than we give ourselves credit for as well. I think in the past mankind reached a level of development perhaps not unlike where we are now and destroyed themselves in conflict or nuclear war or something like that. When you look at our world today are we not heading in the same direction? We have terrorists, wars etc. one day it will all boil over and i am sorry to say we will nuke ourselves. The survivours if there are any, and they will be few in number will find a world without resources and will revert back to stonge age living conditions. It will take a few thousand years for civilisation to reassert itself. Perhaps our past is evidence of such an event in the very distant past.....

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Scott, thanks for posting. This has really provided me a great start to the day, but as usual, I'm wondering why-oh-why I didn't study to become an archaeologist. I'd love to be there at the forefront of this dig. A more important quest can hardly be imagined - to me at least.

One of the most exciting things about this is that it very well should encourage more orthadox-inclined Ancient Historians to rethink Giza, and furthermore, it should send a clear message to the world's archaeologists that there is much left to be discovered in the most unassuming of places. I think we're in for lots of discoveries akin to this in the coming years.

Also, I'd love to see all the members who've posted in this thread involve themselves in the rest of the Scott Creighton forum. Lots of info and conjecture that lends itself well to discoveries like this.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Cythraul

Hello Cythraul,

Nice to see your post and thank you for the vote of confidence re my ATS forum.

Absolutely agree with your comments. The most important thing I consider that this discovery demonstrates is that complex human societies (i.e. civilisation) categorically does not hinge upon that society relying on farming/agriculture for its subsistence/development. The whole arguement that such societies could have arisen and existed only with the arrival of agricultural farming has been comprehensively blown apart with this discovery. Or, perhaps we will find out in the future that this society were indeed farmers thus pushing back farming/agriculture even further back into remote antiquty.

Exciting times.

Best

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
Incredible find. I find this quote really interesting. What could the sphinx actually be. Either the ancient eqyptians had some connection with this ancient civilisaion or the sphinx actually existed ...
[edit on 18-4-2008 by fiftyfifty]

I think its more like the dragon phenomenon. Dragons are found in almost every culture, even though many never met. I could just be some form of natural fear or belief in all humans
Great find, star and a flag

[edit on 19-4-2008 by Damien_Hell]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
As has been pointed out, a great deal of time, organization and manpower/womanpower would have been required to design, quarry and construct this temple site. The people doing this work; especially the "site boss", labourers and artisans would have had to spend a lot of time on-site. They themselves would not likely have been participants in the hunter-gatherer lifestyle as well; at least not while they were doing this work.
Thats a lot of bellies to feed. What would the logistics of feeding this group have been?
Were the actual hunter gatherers continually resupplying the workforce from the game and edible wild fruit and vegetables available around the area?
Was there indeed enough surplus wild stuff around to feed such a group? I had the impression hunter gatherer groups are usually not large congregations, and need to keep moving due to depletion of local resources and the need to find fresh sources for their sustenance.
Would not some sort of domesticated source of grain have been needed to maintain such a "permanent" population, as this site required, or was the area really that abundant/ bountiful at that time?
Were the suppliers, preparers and transporters of the food paid, or did they just "support the cause?"
I am leaning towards a scenario where, like most things in life, there wasn't a hard demarcation point between when farming was or was not done. My hunch is that some sort of gradual process took place whereby even if large fields weren't tilled and seeded, selective productive wild areas were nurtured and taken care of in some way to enhance/ensure the availability and supply.
The society that enabled this architectural feat had to be quite sophisticated, relying on a high degree of specializations in skills, and structured so that the various specializations supported the larger community. Besides experts in hunting and gathering, there had to be experts in "cultivating", in baking/cooking, in transportation; etc. etc.
A sense of co-operating for the common good and/or strong leadership as well as, obviously, faith in some larger power had to be a part of the mix.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
bldgblog.blogspot.com...

An older version of this beautiful underground city in turkey.

All of this stuns me when you look at the sheer hard work and effort put in - and 12,000 years old ? wow, makes 2500 years look positively fresh!

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   

and demonstrates conclusively that complex societies existed in our most remote past.

I really don't think the article says anything of the sort.

Yes the temple is old and yes it is a fasinating find but why is it so surprising? They have "cities" that old in the region, why shouldn't there be temples?

The cave paintings and venuses found from 25, to 35,000 years ago shows that man was entertaining some pretty complex ideas then... the only difference between the cave painting sites and a temple, is that the cave was already there and men built the temple but the underlying ideas expressed in both are the same... ie a specifically sacred site.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty

"Look at this", he says, pointing at a photo of an exquisitely carved sculpture showing an animal, half-human, half-lion. "It’s a sphinx, thousands of years before Egypt. Southeastern Turkey, northern Syria - this region saw the wedding night of our civilization."

Incredible find. I find this quote really interesting. What could the sphinx actually be. Either the ancient eqyptians had some connection with this ancient civilisaion or the sphinx actually existed ...

[edit on 18-4-2008 by fiftyfifty]

I also find this quote the most interesting revelation. To me it demonstrates that men envisioned hybrids of himself and animals
from his beginnings. There by gaining the attributes of the creatures
he is cross breded with. Like the lion man of X-men! Isn't mythology
full of such creatures? Aren't scientist trying to combine the DNA of different animals today and would love to with men, if allowed.
The some what defensive posts by some. Equating this discovery as further proof of evolution and the sanctity of science; I find very amusing. A little insecure in your beliefs, "it does reveal".
Most Christians aren't dogmatic about the age of the Earth. For centuries there has been the figurative interpretation and the simplistic, direct interpretation of the 6 days of Genesis.

[edit on 19-4-2008 by Howie47]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
The cave paintings and venuses found from 25, to 35,000 years ago shows that man was entertaining some pretty complex ideas then.

We've found cave paintings ALOT older then that, we have been painting on cave walls since our early Homos (don't even make the joke)

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Damn I want some good pictures of this. Sounds interesting considering the fact everyone was taught that humans were nomadic during that time period. But yeh... Some humans were brighter than others.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This is fantastic.

Ever since I was about 7 I remember "Knowing" that man has been here much longer than the official histories state and that there have been several civilizations prior to our present one.

This is great because it's further evidence that pushes back to that 12,000 year mark along with the hundreds of miles of prehistoric flora and fauna carnage in Alaska, the tale of Atlantis, the Pie Reis map showing Antarctica and submerged "structures" around the globe.

Funny, in one article I Googled, Schmidt talks about showing a tablet with a Sphinx-like figure that "Pre-dates Egypt". Love it because it places the Sphinx to this pre-cataclysm period as well (something else I had intuited).

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned 2012 and a time-loop. Don't believe in any time loop but there may very well be something Cyclical (probably something which is orbiting us) heading back our way. The Mayans certainly felt it important to record thomething cyclical.

[edit on 19-4-2008 by Star Ranger]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Star Ranger

Hello Star Ranger,

Many thanks for your post. You write:

:Star Ranger: ...but there may very well be something Cyclical ...

SC: You may be interested in my work here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Best wishes,

Scott Creighton

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It's all fun and games until the Predator ship arrives and the alien face huggers are brought out of stasis.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Basicly to me this means that Egypt and Sumeria were not the beginning of civilization. I have always thought that the Pyramids, but as tombs for the heads of state, are not exactly a higher marker for an advanced civilization, and in fact only represents a civilization with far too developed or a hierarchy and status quo. Other civilizations obviously pre-dated Egypt by several thousands of years, just because they didn't create huge stone monuments for their rulers does not prove that they were less civilized, or lacking in technology.

I found this link to a blog with some excellent sources and details of ancient history.

realtimearchaeology.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I would highly recommend a superb documentary by researcher Graham Hancock. It's clearly shows that most of the ruins on this planet date back to at least 10,500 years.

SNIP......

Quest for the lost civilization, is a stunning documentary by Graham Hancock.

This documentary is a breathtaking odyssey, stretching from the pyramids of ancient Egypt to South American ruins.

From Easter Island to Angkor Wat, Graham Hancock puts forward compelling evidence to suggest that cultures we term ancient were in fact the heirs to an older lost civilization.

Here's the YT links.

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six
Part Seven
Part Eight
Part Nine
Part Ten
Part Eleven
Part Twelve
Part Thirteen
Part Fourteen

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
bugsmasher,

If your sister is a christian, and thinks God put the dinosaurs here to "Confuse us," please tell me what bible she is reading. Mine says that God is not the author of confusion."
All this stuff about the Bible saying the earth is only 6,000 years old is the result of Bishop Usher calculating the date of creation based on the generations listed in the old testament. In order to do that he had to make a lot of baseless assumptions, including the average age of each generation, whether each generation was actually mentioned, etc.
The problem I have with people like your sister (and my mother) is they refuse to keep an open mind. Anything that might cause them to question their faith is wrong.
The fact that this temple was found, and moves civilization back even further convinces me that we probably had help.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by agent_01

Graham Hancock is nothing more than a current day Erich Von Danikien and is just rehashing his old stories.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
What is most interesting about the site, to me, is that they have not uncovered all of it yet. The (very) preliminarily WAGs is that that a substantial percentage remains uncovered.

I guess, to me I am surprised that this isn't a more widely known site. It continually shows up as as surprise & "news" to people very educated in the beginings of civilization - on both sides. That isn't a knock on anyone here - I just wonder why it isn't more known.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
This is pretty far off topic, but I have an archaeological question.

Does anyone remember hearing about the discovery of a pyramid that was supposedly larger and older than the Great Pyramid? In Europe?

I think it was only a few months ago, then I never heard anything else about it.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY
This is a great find! Now maybe the folks that buy the 6,000 year old earth belief will take a second look.

Every year new amazing finds like this show that "real science" is the way to go and teach !

Terrific!

im interested in what methods they used to date this site.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join