It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ontario to pass legislation restricting bans on clotheslines.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   

About time. If I want to dry my knickers in the sunlight, then I darn well should be able to. The only places this legislation does NOT come into effect is apartment buildings.

Premier Dalton McGuinty is to announce today that clotheslines can no longer be banned in subdivisions or almost anywhere else in the province.

In a bid to curb the use of energy-sucking dryers, the new regulation will overrule neighbourhood covenants – part of the mortgage agreement between many developers and homebuyers – that outlaw clotheslines because they're considered unsightly.

-snip-
Dryers account for 5 to 6 per cent of Ontario's household electricity demand. An average machine consumes about 900 kilowatt-hours of energy each year and results in the discharge of up to 840 kilograms of air pollution and greenhouse gases. Each dryer adds about $90 a year to a household's electricity bill.

www.thestar.com...

Nothing smells better than clothes dried outside.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I wish this would carry over to the East coast.

Not sure if it is banned or not here, but I know most, if not all the condo boards frown upon this. I live in a townhouse with my own backyard, plenty of room for hanging clothes out to dry.

Every time the dryers going I sigh.

I remember when I was younger, a dryer was a luxury not a necessity like it is today.

Ahh the good ol' days.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I'm downtown; population 100,000... my clothes... down to the skivvies, hang on a cotton line outside.

2008 they say; well time is an illusion.
Am, was, ever shall be a caveman at heart.

These are the good ol' days

Sri Oracle

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Many condominiums are located very close to highways (mine being one of them).

What happens if an accident is caused by someone's sexy lingerie on the 401?
Talk about stopping traffic.....

OT: I bet you that will be 'breaking news' on Toronto MSM.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Thank for bringing this issue back out..

I live in Ontario and never heard of the ban.

I had tried to start this subject by it drew little interest.

abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
hurray - we'll take the victory!
I agree with the saving energy issue, but, I find the gall of tenant associations and the like that try and legislate against clothes lines to be appalling in the nth degree - ditto for ruling the type of grass, the kind of flowers or the colour of paint you use on your own house.
I never understood the mindset of people who would be willing submit to such brain-f***ing in the first place.
I recently moved back into the central part of town from out in the country and the little old house I bought has a clothsline that hadn't been used in years.
Now it is!
I am the only one in my neighbourhood for blocks around that does tho.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by quintar
What happens if an accident is caused by someone's sexy lingerie on the 401?

I'd be more concerned about high winds blowing those sexy knickers off those lakeshore condo balconies along the Gardiner Expressway and winding up covering a windshield. There's some knickers that could sail a 20 foot boat.

The 401 is just too fast, imo, with everybody going 130 kph.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I wasn't aware that clotheslines were banned! How daft.

I've always dried my washing on a line. Good tip: hanging out shirts or trousers dripping wet on a windy day is the best way to get them dry with no creases. Saves ironing!

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Sigh........

I actually live in a city where it is banned. You can get a away with it if you spend thousands of dollars to fence your yard so it is shielded from view.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I've been offline for a few days and when I saw your thread...I had to respond!

First off...It pissed me off to no end to hear that the 'elite' finally succumbed to the reality of the common ordinary joe. Why should that piss me off? Many reasons. Read on.

1. Air-drying clothes is NOT CRYING SHAME.
2. Air-drying clothes is better on the enviroment than dryers.
3. Air-drying clothes 'smell better' IMHO...and others.
4. To air one's 'underwear' on the clothes line....gee...what a concept...shows we're ALL EQUAL.

Alot of people have called me 'eccentric' in the last while. I don't mind. In fact, I take it as a compliament! It pays to have different attitudes!

I'm advocating on $aving money. Nothing wrong with that in the least!

Ok...here's a 'for example':

Lets say...thst the average 'joe' washes his clothes, and let's go one further, by saying this individual lives in an apartment.

Look at these figures (on average):

1 load = $1.75 (to wash)
1 load to dry (apartment dryers) = $1.25-$1.50 and up

What if that 'common ordinary joe' decided to put a bit of 'fleecy' or fabric softener in with the wash, and decided to put his clothes out to dry, on his balcony or in his apartment? Gee...what if?

He probably would save a freakin bundle, on his/her next laundry bill...wouldn't he?

Imagine that the average family has LOADS of freakin laundry to do....imagine....in the next light...that this same family decides to 'air-out their laundry' beside your home...

on a CLOTHES LINE

Gee...how novel, can one get...HOH BOY....

Welllllllllll...alot of people decoded somewhere down the line, that it was unexeptable to do these things. For whatever reasons.
Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

Somewhere...along the lines, it was unacceptable to 'display' ones garments out to the world.

Who bloody freakin cares?

Convience VS Clotheslines

Why should it matter folks? Seriously?

I personnally think that it is more financially feasible in many respects, to air out our laundry than use up 'the electrical dryers' - better to use the air that nature gives us...in the Spring, Summer and Autumn.

Cold weathers....that's different.

Pride goeth before a fall.

Anyone think these same things too?

~Ducky~

new topics

top topics

join