It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local Icon - Seeker Observation Plane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Introducing my own home town's Seabird Seeker.

This little gem of a craft is stable, and a joy to fly (I've flown it!).

Hervey Bay based Seabird Aviation Pty Ltd has formed a joint venture in the kingdom of Jordan to produce up to 120 Seeker non-military surveillance aircraft over the next three years.

This is a big boost for the little company. The deal netting them around $30 million Aus.

About the plane -

Engine - Textron Lycoming 0-360-B2C

Fuel - 80/87 Octain Aviation Fuel - But can run on unleaded or super automotive petrol

Prop - Seabird 2 blade Fixed push prop

Max RPM - between 2200 and 2300 RPM

Speed - Max - 133 Knots Cruise 105 Knots

Maximum Weight - 897 kg

Max Altitude 15,000 Feet

Fits pilot and passenger.

the Seeker is definitely different from every angle. It is still different when you strap it on - there isn't anything to aim it by. Taxiing makes one aware of just how close to the nose you can see the ground - and since it is very easy to taxi, you have ample time to reflect on such things. Run-up is normal for a fixed-pitch propeller.

Line it up and open the throttle, and there is a slight difference - you don't lift the tail on take-off, like most tailwheel aircraft; the best technique in the Seeker is to leave it neutral and let it fly itself off. It definitely does the thing better if you let it get on with the job and don't interfere other than to keep it straight.

Once airborne, the only differences are the visibility and the smoothness - you really notice the lack of slipstream buffet around the canopy.

The field of view - ha, the field of view - the Seeker spoils one for any other aeroplane. If you have flown helicopters such as a Robinson R22, you will know what to expect. Unless you have, there is no way to describe the effect of all that scenery.

Of course, that's what it's all about - observation. Helicopters (most of them) are as good - if you can afford them - but they shake.

The Seeker gives a remarkably smooth ride; one is seated forward of the Centre of Gravity, so the heave of the aeroplane in turbulence is offset (so far as the occupants are concerned) by the accompanying pitch, with the result that the effects of turbulence are greatly reduced, by comparison with an aeroplane of conventional layout.

It's a real beaut to mess around with and I am sure our defence force will be interested in these babies as observation aircraft.

What do you guys think.

Chris

[Edited on 26-2-2004 by OzChris]

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   
For an observation platform, its pretty swift and not a bad altitude obtainable either, OzChris.

Btw....I knew I should have trademarked my name.

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
That's cool. Nice ariplane

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I have just now found out that this little baby was included in one of the latest Flight Simulators available for the pc.

GO THE SEABIRD SEEKER.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Man, I would love to have one of those little dolls! What's the $$ for one?

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Price for the Seeker fly away from Hervey Bay is $206,000 AU.... Not bad really...

I thought it was more than that..... Rich man's toy I think.

top topics

join