It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Felon; Forgiven Patron or Second Class Citizen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I will start this out by stating that I have a drug related felony on my record. It was a possession charge from when I was picked up at around the age of 19. I was convicted at age 20, and am now age 27. I have not done any drugs or done anything to get me into trouble since. I was not really a "troubled" youth, just made some bad decisions.

7 years later, a completely different person now, and yet I still have that stain on my record haunt me. Trying to get an apartment is a frustrating event. Financial aid for school or scholarships usually become a waste of paper. Sometimes I feel as though I am a second class citizen. Filling out job applications can also be embarresing, especially when you have to explain why you were convicted.

Now, the reason I am posting this is two fold. One, I would like to find out what other people think of someone with a felony? Do you have any prejudice, or do you think less of a person with that type of record? Do you feel that the punishment fits the crime? Should a person be judged by that single event for so long after it happens?

Secondly, do you feel as though there is a government or political conspiracy to weed out citizens that commit crimes? Is there an elitist agenda that only wants the "cream of the crop" to succeed?

I will end this by stating that I realize that some people are going to immediately want to say "Don't wanna do the time, do not do the crime" or "You should have thought about that before you did it". To those people, I will say that those are fair things to say. You are right. The simple truth is that even though those things are correct, they do not change the fact that it cannot be changed now.

I hold a full time job, am in school for a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, and am just a normal tax-paying American.

Thanks for your time.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Good post.

You were young when you were convicted, I don't think you should be labeled with that your entire life and many employers can make their own decision as to hire you or not, where others are mandated not to hire any felons. Another bad thing is you can't ever own a gun to defend yourself and maybe not ever vote.

It seems that you can contact your local governer and request it to be expunged after ten years. At least I was told that. It is worth looking into.

Don't let that hold you back, you can still have a bright future.

Yes, of course our system is set up for many to fail.

People make mistakes and people learn from them, it is life.

I believe that the forces for good know your heart and if you have a good heart don't worry, you will be fine. It will make things harder for you, sure, but you will find a way to succeed if you just keep pushing on.

Just keep your credit clean because a felony and bad credit together can really sink a ship real quick.

I wish you well, I understand the delimma.

new topics

join