It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will happen to the US economy? To the standards of living?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Will it be like 1930s Germany, where you had 30 billion marks equal $1? A TOTAL economy crash?

Would there be mass starvation? Open martial law? TOTAL TYRANNY?

Or a gradual decline, creating a vast underslass, small middle class, and tiny Elite?

My opinion is that starvation/population control will be targeted at 3rd world countries.

And that rising food and gas prices will (slowly) starve the poor?

Or will it be instant crash, rich and poor out hungry on the streets?

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Grow a garden (even in plastic buckets), buy gold (if you have the means), stock up on rice and canned goods (don't forget the MANUAL can opener), and try not to worry too much. Also, if you can, try to get yourself out into the country. Focusing on the worst case scenario is just not healthy.

"It's all in your mind" George Harrison from Yellow Submarine.

G

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gramafaloon
Grow a garden (even in plastic buckets), buy gold (if you have the means), stock up on rice and canned goods (don't forget the MANUAL can opener), and try not to worry too much. Also, if you can, try to get yourself out into the country. Focusing on the worst case scenario is just not healthy.

"It's all in your mind" George Harrison from Yellow Submarine.

G

I can't grow a garden; backyard is filled up with lawn, concrete, and roses.

A lemon tree, grapefruit tree, orange tree, tangerine tree, THAT'S IT!

So, garden sustenance is out of question.

And if economy crashes, food will be gone, who will give up their food for "useless" (at that time) gold?

And where do I STORE the gold?

House is not secure enough; garage even worse.

Storing it in a back is 10 times worse.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by thetruth777

I can't grow a garden; backyard is filled up with lawn, concrete, and roses.

If you have a backyard(albeit paved with whales) you can get a pile of H*me Dep*t (or equivalent) 5 gal plastic buckets and grow yourself piles of tomatoes, peppers, radishes, potato's, and beans. I did this myself in the 'wilds' of providence (RI, where the immigrants((years ago)) paved the livin bejeezus out of every square foot of space) two years ago.

urban container gardens

Thats a good starting point. g**gle your way from there.

We are, by necessity, a bunch of clever monkeys. Consider your obstacles opportunities and take it from there.

Good luck, G.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
First, what's up with the huge gaps between sentences? Really annoying and takes away from any points or questions you might have.

The fact that you have a backyard, says that you have room to grow things.

I think in the short term, the economy is hosed. However, if this is a recession, it is a normal part of the market cycle. Historically, recessions last at most two years. A depression is possible, and could last a decade easy.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

new topics

top topics

join