It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Money Hungry Snakes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Why do most ufo researchers have books and stuff for sale ?

I don't see why people should pay to hear a man/woman spout some crap like a Rod Serling rip-off. I really don't like knowing some people may follow these "researchers" as they do convention tours and stuff. Paying to hear the same crap over and over again, essentially becoming clay pots filled with cash that listen and believe every word that their messiah says.

Psychics. Why do people still claim to be psychic ? I mean, they claim but never produce any evidence (only illusions are brought to the table) that can be tested rigorously, to substantiate their claim. I had a psychic visit my house ( mums idea) in the hopes of hearing from a deceased brother. He claimed I was being followed by a young girl (my guess is he saw a picture of one of my cousins or something and tried to guess).

I know people need money to live, and I also know most people are greedy and would probably kill someone they don't know or will ever meet if they were told they would gain a large sum of money for doing so (Twilight Zone Epiode

I guess I've just answered my own question. But I need to post some more so I can make an avatar lol. Please reply with thoughts/opinions on the things mentioned (and ones I've missed).

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by trilateral

Are you telling me if you put many hours of research and writing into a book you wouldn't want to be compensated in any way?

Last time I checked we live in a money driven society.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
well books do cost money to produce, most people cant afford to have said books published and hand them out for free, if you dont like it dont buy the books, and it works like CD's the author only gets a small percent of the books sell price, and the rest goes to publishing firms, the place that made the book, lawyers and what not, not to mention people who were extensiviley written about in the book usually get a cut.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I'm working on a book right now, taking a break to post here.

If you have anything very complex to share with your audience, a simple 3 hour seminar will simply not fill in the gaps. And unlike the vast majority of authors, I'm fairly painstaking with my sources, so that someone else can recreate my journey; and if I did make mistakes, they can salvage the remainder of my work and build something of integrity out of the remnants, thus contributuing to real information about my topic.

I am taking forever with this book because I want it to be one the purchaser will read over and over, not once and then take it to the used bookstore for a dime. I hope my book will be worth more than the cover price a decade from now.

But then, I'm not writing about UFO (though it is about the paranormal), and I'm not on the lecture cicuit, either.

edit for spelling; pesky gremlins in computer messing with me again.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by trilateral

I don't see why people should pay to hear a man/woman spout some crap like a Rod Serling rip-off. I really don't like knowing some people may follow these "researchers" as they do convention tours and stuff. Paying to hear the same crap over and over again, essentially becoming clay pots filled with cash that listen and believe every word that their messiah says.

if you had some valuable, hard core research you wanted to get out there i'd then suggest you try the following:
fly to another capital city at your own expense.
pay your own meals, accomodation + travel costs.
spend several $k on a convention centre so you can give away all the tickets free.
after the convention centre head back to teh airport by cab at your own expense, and repeat the above in another city.

how long do you think it'd be before you asked for a hand out or some payment for a book or video?

Originally posted by trilateralPsychics. Why do people still claim to be psychic ? I mean, they claim but never produce any evidence (only illusions are brought to the table) that can be tested rigorously, to substantiate their claim. I had a psychic visit my house ( mums idea) in the hopes of hearing from a deceased brother. He claimed I was being followed by a young girl (my guess is he saw a picture of one of my cousins or something and tried to guess).

i beleive psychics are real, but the true ones are few and far between and theres a layer of sharks swimming above them at the surface, waiting to snap at anyone who dare dip their toe in the world of paid psychics.

shows like "sensing murder" here in australia have pretty much proven that its true but various psychics have varying degree's of accuracy.

new topics

top topics

join