It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS.MIX: Above Politics Show 12

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Above Politics Show 12

Martin and Justin pull a few strings to get ATS Member Infinite (a.k.a. Daniel) on his mobile phone. He's located somewhere in Canterbury, England. Daniel spills the beans on British Republicanism, which means he's not in favor of keeping the Monarchy. Daniel makes his predictions for the U.S. Presidential race. Martin and Daniel debate the merits PM Gordon Brown, and the timing of his visit to America. Justin asks about the difference between chips, crisps, cakes and biscuits. ATS Member Xpert11 wins this week's trivia challenge as Daniel dishes dirt on U.K. politics. Another scoop for you, on The Above Politics Show!

These are some of the topics touched on in today's show

Author: Infinite
Title: Bank of England to take on banks' loans to help mortgage market
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Title: Fears emerge over Russia's oil output

Title: Silvio Berlusconi ahead in Italian exit polls

PLEASE POST YOUR COMMENTS ON THIS SHOW THREAD ONLY!

length: 38:14
file: atsmix_2902.mp3
size: 13447k
feed: atsmix

To DOWNLOAD This Program, Put Your Mouse Cursor Over the BLUE SHOW FILE NAME, Then RIGHT CLICK. Slide The Cursor Down To SAVE TARGET AS And Then CLICK .... Now Just Decide WHERE You Want To Download The File To And CLICK SAVE. You Might Also Consider SUBSCRIBING To The Shows Through iTunes Where They Are Downloaded To Your computer Automatically.

[edit on 4/17/2008 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Another interesting member interview.

I tell you one thing the Queen should be eternally grateful that the UK has struck with FPP. Under Proportional Representation 25% support for the UK becoming a Republic would mostly likely mean bye bye to the monarchy .

Anyway the monarchy needs to hang around for a while yet NZ isnt ready for another set of political reforms yet . But that is my self centred(SP?) view on the matter.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Thank you again for the opportunity for the interview, as viewers can notice, I was extremely nervous at the start so my apologies for sounding like Gordon Brown

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Thank you for your question btw

It started a very interesting debate

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I can certainly understand peoples desire for a change in government . Labour and Helen Clark will seeking a fourth term in this year election . National still holds a lead in the polls but a few more slip ups or blunders from the inexperienced John Key could prove to be the difference .

Infinite in the UK are the elections becoming more in the mould of the US presidential style ?

It is still very much a battle between Clark and Key despite our political system and as you said representatives rather then leaders or prime minsters are elected.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Yes it is. I believe the "presidental" style operated under Thatcher, as the Monarchy became less important, some Prime Ministers (mainly Blair and Thatcher) acted like a President than a Prime Minister.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Interesting I will have to consider your reply when I give thought to the matter of NZ elections becoming more presidential.

The UK could always elect the monarchy that way we would both be happy.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
The UK could always elect the monarchy that way we would both be happy.

Believe it or not, the Fabian Society came up with that idea in early 2001.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Isn't electing the monarchy the same as electing a president as head of State? I am one of the 75% (according to infinite figures) that either support the current way or have not expressed a view. Why the need to make all these changes. What difference would I see if there was a president? As you stated in the show, infinte, the monarchy has not refused to sign an act into law since Queen Anne.

In the US, President Bush has refused to sign acts into law?? And one would suspect that if the Queen was not happy to sign an act, she would make the PM aware as they meet weekly. We have second chamber to act as a review process for the Commons.

Other than huge expense, what do we gain by changing?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I believe the strange offer Justin mentioned was Bush offering to cook a meal for Gordon and Sarah Brown. Now that is unusual... I'd be sorely tempted to take him up on it, just to watch the President of the United States and the First Lady in the kitchen!

Infinite, you raise some good points about the Euro. I'm not convinced that the UK needs to be a republic, and Martin is right: Britain doesn't do revolutions very well.

If an Act of Parliament was passed that abolished the monarchy and the monarch refused to sign it then it's almost certain he or she would be removed anyway... there's always the possibility of the government throwing it open to a referendum, stipulating that the result is binding. It just demonstrates that the monarch's power is strictly limited, I think, and I don't see the point in changing system. We've got bigger problems to deal with.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ste2652
I believe the strange offer Justin mentioned was Bush offering to cook a meal for Gordon and Sarah Brown. Now that is unusual... I'd be sorely tempted to take him up on it, just to watch the President of the United States and the First Lady in the kitchen!

WE HAVE A WINNER! Ste2652 is on the mark! During his recent press conference with PM Brown, bush said, "We'll cook you a meal."

Dave will deliver those points, just as soon as he can.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ste2652
Infinite, you raise some good points about the Euro.

Thank you

When I come to power, you can be my Minister for Europe

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I'm not sure whether that's a good or a bad thing

MI6 do eavesdrop on European meetings, and they bugged the French Embassy when de Gaulle was considering British membership to the EEC. The UK and the EU haven't always been the best of friends.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
So, we're power brokers now, are we? Very good.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I just wanted to take a moment to respond to some u2u traffic, and I'd like to do it right here out in the open. Martin and I don't yet know what the future holds for the Above Politics section, but we are hopeful. As you can see, The Amigos are tweaking the web site. I'm sure that's keeping them busy. When we do know more, we'll pass it on.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Who is the next member guest ?
Dave could you hurry up the production of points owed to me from AP Show 11 ?
If things go to slowly production could move to China.

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Sorry guys..... points should now be up to date for everyone.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I will personally ask Dave and the others to make sure that the ATS applause points remain "American made." They ARE made from the very best materials, by the best professionals in the business.

new topics

top topics

join