It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking down an atheist perspective

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

there could be an all knowing, all powerful, all good, yet incompetent god

Or just one that doesn't always care! Or possibly he is asking for a reason to notice us?

Many look at him as an underachiever. It would appear that way, I agree. I have often said that if he were human he would need to be turned into; "Child Protective Services!"

But it could be that he is looking for those who are actually interested. I have a deep relationship with him, but I certainly had to get out of my way, and formalized belief systems, in order to do so. I have not found him to be romantic and much of what we are taught about him is so romantic.

I see him as a God that is sick of us lemmings and will allow us to suffer any innumerable sufferings unless we personally address him. He has done huge things for me, but don't think that I didn't have to meet him part way, and the journey is not easy! It can be called; survival of the spiritually fittest!

You ask, "Why do you bother?" Because he is the only game in town.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

MemoryShock, I don't know if you're a moderator on this section of the forum, but if you look around, athiests are constantly attacking the Christian faith, maybe you personaly have ot tried to do such, but just because you have'nt does'nt mean others have'nt so you have no argument there. I don't know anyone who starts threads here to try and "witness" to anyone, the threads I start here have to actually do with some sort of conspiracy in religion, but the majority of the athiests here just copy and paste the same old crap from some "top 10 ways to prove Christianity wrong" webpage, stuff that has been debunked over, and oever, and over, and over agian, it gets a little old. So basicly you're inference was wrong, they are attacking Christianity, constantly, it's not just an opinion, it's a fact.

-Jimmy

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Fantastic is a word I would use to describe such a claim..

The most fantastic part is its true.

Your god does not get to take responsibility for my opinion...I cultivated it myself through much thought...prior to even knowing your online personality.

You're right he surely doesn't.

I give people the respect they deserve until they prove otherwise. If I behave in such a fashion that I am more or less living the Golden Rule...then why should it matter when I say that there is no god?

Because there is a God and he that's the thing he hates the most.

I have yet to request, much less demand, proof of god. I do not require it. I require an adherance to respectful discussion...especially if there is an insistence on discussing with people whom disagree with you.

No problem there. You have a perfect right to your opinion. I also have the right to say you are wrong form my experience.

do know...that there is so much more reason to attenuate to what is happening around me and to explore and research the physical world around me as opposed to using my imagination to explain things...that is not to say that I never use my imagination to explain something...but that I make concession for it and acknowledge it when it happens so that I don't confuse myself...

After all your talk of "respectful discussion" this is insulting. Your insinuation being that believers are just "using their imaginations" to explain things.

I live most every day with the assumption that I have the freedom to choose my way. It seems like an elementary concept to me...s

I don't think we are as free as we think we are. Most people are addicted to a number of things and don't even realize it. Modern conveniences mostly...
Take away our electricity for a few weeks and a lot of that freedom evaporates as you are too busy getting something to eat...

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammyand jimmyjackblack

I just starred your posts. They were excellent examples of how to discuss, with civility, against someone who disagrees.

BigWhammy:

You're right. That was a bit insulting of me..wasn't it? I retract the implication and addendum with the caviat that my perspective necessarily defined it as such. I concede that it was not the best expression to utilize as a universal.

You and I are going to have to agree to disagree here. But that doesn't have to be a negative thing...not even a little.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Thankyou MemoryShock. It's good that we can find civility in an arguement( it's pretty hard for me to hold my toungue sometimes
). I starred you as well.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyjackblack

Not that we have any Christians attacking atheists as evil, soulless blights on the face of humanity, or denouncing Islam as a hideous perversion, or calling all Catholics pedophiles and "not true Christians," or declaring that anyone at all who doesn't worship Jesus is in fact worshiping Satan.

We're so lucky that it's only atheists attacking Christians here. It's just like the times when Christians were being fed to lions! Right?

[edit on 24-4-2008 by TheWalkingFox]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join