It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Howard Stern's Latest Comments Are Beyond Offensive

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I can't tell you how very ok I am with Stern being taken off by Clear Channel...
Of course (many) guys don't see why - they wouldn't....

[Edited on 26-2-2004 by intelgurl]

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I listen to Stern usually 2-3 times a month, when traveling on company business.

I have never agreed with the way he treats women, however, he does some pretty good interviews with the celebs that are on his show.

Should Howard personally be responsible for what the caller said NO, Clear channel should be taking the heat on this one.

I was listening to Howard on Monday and they were talking about how strict that the FCC is going to be about this kind of thing, Howard was joking that he was going to do something to get kicked off the air, so that he could go ahead and retire... I thought he was kidding...

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Actually, they are on a delay as noted several times but its only used to edit out the 7 words the FCC doesn't allow on air. The comment in question didn't fit into that catagory however, I agree its a stupid, stupid comment made from an individual with undoubtedly a low IQ.

That being said, Clear Channel has every right to take action because they air the show and they call the shots as to what does and doesn't air. This doesn't mean Old Howard doesn't have the right to go right on ahead being offensive and talking to offensive people on the phone. He even has the right to buy his own station and air it himself. Of course, then he would have to deal with the FCC directly.

The rights of free speech only guarantees us the right to make a statement, not the right to be heard.

You can't force people to hear you if they choose not to. That was my argument way back when Algore and the Dixie Chicks were looking into forcing people to buy their CDs when most of the US stopped buying them due to Ms. Maine's statement about the President.

As much as I find Howard's show entertaining and as much as I think that bafoon probably had the right to make such a rediculous statement, I also think the station is responsible to it's advertisers and listeners and has every right to control the content. No one's free speech is being squelched. Mr. Stern has far and away enough financial resources to air his own show.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I like his show on cable(comedy central) but think that its a bit extreme over the public airwaves... I certianly wouldn't be playing him on the radio in front of kids or anything..

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
Actually, they are on a delay as noted several times but its only used to edit out the 7 words the FCC doesn't allow on air.

OH yeah, good point about the delay, Tuesday when I was listening, they were talking about the delay, and the Stern show is on a 1- 1/2 minute delay, not just for the 7 words....

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Seems like Clear Channel Communications is cleaning house ....they dropped 'Bubba the Love Sponge' out of St Pete Florida for a similar reason

www.reuters.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   
So by this standard we should never allow hate speech from the Klan or the Black Panthers? I think both of those groups are offensive so I think they should have their right to speech revoked... unless they talk about God and kittens and candy bars.
Offensive speech by stupid needs severe restricting huh? But the above dudes can incite hate and that seems fine and dandy.

I have an even better idea... if you don't like it... CHANGE THE CHANNEL!!!!!!!!!!

What the dofus said on air is disgusting and offensive but come on, gimmie a break. Thought police anyone?

[Edited on 26-2-2004 by observer]

PS I did not edit Seekerof's comments.. actually I don't know what the hell I did there (i think i hit edit instead of quote). Seekerof, check and make sure I did not goof anything up in your reply!

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
On a side note that has been explored here at ATS before but I feel is relevant to the conversation here.
Clearchannel does have the right to not broadcast Stern if that is their decision. I think we shuld revisit this question though: Are companies, such as Clearchannel, in control of too much market share? Their decision to drop Stern effects many markets since they own, what, like 80% of all radio stations in the country. Is this concentration of media too much? I think yes, if a station in Nashville wants to air Stern they can't because they are owned by CC, or a station in Louisville, can't owned by CC, LA station? Owned by CC. So I think they are within their rights but revoke Sterns show but I think we need to ask if they have to much control over everything we hear.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I don't know why people act so surprised by this. It's not as if this came out of the clear blue by Clear Channel. It's also not as if Stern hasn't been fined and warned by the FCC in the past. The past always predicts the future people.

And yes, Stern is responsible for what his callers say on the air. It's his show, he controls what happens and what is said. Knowing the fact that he is on a 1 1/2 minute delay, makes this all the worse. If he knew this callers comments were going to be offensive, (and I'm sure he did as most callers are screened before they are allowed on the air) the he should not only be dropped by CC, he should be fined by the FCC as well.

Clear Channel made it perfectly clear --- ZERO TOLERANCE! He knew and forged ahead anyway. It was absolutly the correct call by CC.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Let me see, Howy was pulled off how many radio stations? Just 6!? In such, you'd think that there was a witch hunt going on.

The FCC did the right thing. It was Clear Channel that yanked Howy! Clear Channel did this out of fear of the FCC. Btw, Clear Channel simply exercised their 1st Amendment rights by janking Howy, just as Howy exercised his 1st Amendment right by the telling of a lewd joke. I think what is missed here by most, is that Howy got slammed for telling a lewd joke, not for what the caller did, per se'.

Again, Freedom of Speech is free and guarenteed, BUT this does not in NO way imply that there are not also consequences for your speech...or Howy's. He was certainly free to express anything his heart so desired, as anyone can, but be aware that those words come attached with "consequences".....in such, Howy's words were free but also indeed cheap!

Personally, anyone that has to rely on showing, discussing, or joking about genitalia for laughs, needs to hire a talent agent and should be removed from the air.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 26-2-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
It's all a big publicity (sp?) stunt. Alot of celebs pull this crap. They do something stupid and make world headlines. As much as to say, "hey world, look at me, look what I can do". The fine gets paid, the celeb gets headlines in all media outlets (FREE ADVERTISING). No matter how discusting or tastless the deed, they gain popularity and sell what ever it is they are trying to sell. Infact, the more shocking the deed the more attention the person gets.
Sure, sometimes it backfires and they end up in jail or ruined (like the Dixi (Pigs) Chicks). Eminem is a good example of the oppisite tho. The meaner and more offensive he gets the more popular he gets, the more$$$$ he gets. FCC fines are chump change to these people. Call it a small investment. Were the fines for the superbowl stunt even close to the price of a ad spot during the game?

If the caller got through and said Howard Sterns Address and Phone Number or Social Security Number, maybe other personal info, do you not think it would have been "beeped" or cut out? Sure it would!

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
I trust that we can expect such valiant agencies to stand up for the beleagured white anglo-saxon man too when warranted?

HAHAHA....what?

A single tear runs down my cheek. It's soooo miserable being a white anglo-saxon male in America. I'm sure they're in a living hell, being stopped by the police for no reason, followed through stores.... I mean, just 30 years ago there were signs on stores that said "Whites Only". Can you imagine what it was like being forced to go to only a few stores?

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Howard Stern needs to get taken out of the public eye. As long as he baits people with indecent thoughts, they will all follow. If you are against not having lewd acts and immoral talk being curbed or toned down then you really can't complain.

None of us is perfect. He just may be part of a plan for Elections, scapegoat...et cetera.

How many of you do the same thing he does in front of your own children?

He does it for you.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
stern has been offensive to certain people since day 1. why do something bout it now?

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
WEll on all radio shows I know that they can censor the callers.
True it wasn't his fault but he knew where that caller was going.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Personally, if Howard wants to talk the way he does, I say let him... If someone doesn't like it, so effin' what? turn the dial to a different station

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   

He does run with a 7 second delay. He could have blocked it out...

Exactly, and it was obviously HIS (or someone on his staff) decision to let it go...and thus, they must accept the fallout....

Yes, it was indecent, and yes, the FCC did the right thing.... I'm usually all for "people just need to let stuff go, and not be all offended", but this was too derogatory to air.....

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by U.S. Patriot
Howard Stern needs to get taken out of the public eye. As long as he baits people with indecent thoughts, they will all follow. If you are against not having lewd acts and immoral talk being curbed or toned down then you really can't complain.

None of us is perfect. He just may be part of a plan for Elections, scapegoat...et cetera.

How many of you do the same thing he does in front of your own children?

He does it for you.

If you cant contol your kids in the first place of what they listen or see then you should not be a parent. If your gonna go as far as take the man off the air becasue you find him wrong by your own #ing standards then you should ban all those girls who jump around almost naked on MTV. Becasue girls that see that think it is ok to dress like them. you extreamists make me so mad!!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
the FCC needs to get their # straight - how is it not ok for a caller to call in and make a racial reference to black people but completely fine for Dave Chappell to either use the word 'n-word' himself or for him to have other white people use the word.

the FCC, even though we trust their decisions and they are the primary avenue for policing what the people see, they are unfortunately drawing a line which cuts into our right to free speech.

If you dont like it, change the channel! STOP F-ING CALLING THE FCC AND COMPLAINING!

If you are afraid your kids are going to hear it, try growing up in a public school system. You will hear much worse. Parents needs to recognize this fact and inform their children of just why these words are offensive instead of pulling the source off the air.

It is 2004 people. Grow the f up.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   

the FCC needs to get their # straight - how is it not ok for a caller to call in and make a racial reference to black people but completely fine for Dave Chappell to either use the word 'n-word' himself or for him to have other white people use the word.

There is a difference between regular airing, and subscriber based program requirements... Chappelle is subscriber based (as a cable tv channel), thus falling under different rules...whereas any kid with a radio can pick up Howard Stern....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join