It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinions please.......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Ok I have said this before I think but I have scoliosis and its a 40 degree curve in my spine. I am sick and tired of going to school because the chairs are so uncomfortable and I cant concentrate. I dont feel like I am getting anything by going to school so I am thinking about home school but I dont know if my mom will let me. What do you think should I stay at school or do homeschool? I mean I am in so much back pain I cant take it any longer. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Take an online virtual academy homeschooling. Just a suggestion.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
i'm sure you go to a doctor, have him convince your mother that it would be more beneficial for you to be homeschooled.

nothing wrong with homeschooling, you still have do the work, you're just going to be doing it in more comfortable position.

good luck

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
homeschooling will probably take up less than a third of the time than school. i liked it much better than public school. or you could complain alot that your handicap(not meaning to offend you) is not being accomidated, and get all the teachers and principals and such to kiss your @ss

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I was home-educated for two years, I belonged to the E.O (Education Otherwise) www.EducationOtherwise.co.uk has alot of info that might help. You only need to do three hours a day at home! And you could always get your work from school and follow their curriculum, or you could concentrate on any sort of subject you want to follow! (you'd probably want to stick with the basic subjects stil lthough if you decide to do other things). Just show your mum that website, and have a chat with her about how you would find it alot more practical!
If it turns out you stay at school, you should speak to your teacher/headmaster/school nurse and tell them that you're needs are not being catered for, and that legally they have to accomidate for you!

Hope this helps, good luck!

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
My ex had scoliosis and was given a back brace which she wore for a few years. When she stopped growing it seemed to ease. She ended up having to go to school and just live through it, because we had no home schools in the UK then. She had some concentration problems but ended up having a shot into her spine which took the pain away for about 5 years.

I would talk with the doc and ask his opinion.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 03:29 AM
link   
IndridCold, I was curious to know how old you are so I looked at your profile. According to that you are almost 26 years old.
I will assume that is a mistake.

You may want to try making the seat you using at school more comfortable. Obus forme has some good products. Something like one of these might be good for you. www.obusforme.com...

I think home schooling takes quite a commitment from the parents. If your parents are willing to make the commitment then I don't think you should be homeschooled. Uncomfortable chairs is not a good reason to be homeschooled. There are remedies.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
HERE'S MY ADVICE:

Superman's... Lie on your tummy raise your hand and opposite leg of hand at the same time, do 8-12 reps of each side.
Do this 3-4 times a week, this will strengthen your lower and upper back.

Note: When I moved to the states from canada I had to finish my year at college doing online.
It really is awesome, I learn at my own pace, and actually get more into my work online, then in the classroom cuz i'm such a social butterfly I tend to get goofy and not pay attention in class.

Online, I focus 100% it's amazing. To each his own though, everyone is diff when it comes to learning.

But sitting down will not help your back you need excercise as well. Try the superman's, and get a back support.
See a chiropracter and a pedorthist.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
No lol I am not 22 years old I am 17 usually I dont take time when signing up for something. Also I have to get surgery april 19th my curve is 50 degrees. Sucks :-(

new topics

top topics

join