It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran the most powerful (nation) , says Ahmadinejad

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

The Great depression was one problem, yes you over-came it but through a hell of a lot of hardship

Todays economy is much worse, and its much more inter-twined with global economies.
Also, OIL is pegged to the US economy, something that wasnt the case during the GREAT Depression.
Likewise, the US wasnt a world superpower during the great depression.

The US wasnt involved in a WAR during the great depression...

today is not like any situation the US has had to endure before, problem is todays government arent taking the appropriate steps to STOP the rott, because they benefit from it.

Yes, America JOINING the war effectivley contributed to the defeat of Nazi Germany, but I still say Russia did MORE to defeat them.
This isnt taking any credit away from the US, you guys built the bomb, took on Japan after all other nations were militarily/economicalyl depleted.

It was just a pointed note to say you cant state America is the reason Germany was defeated.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Wow, I'll bet had you lived in the ww2 generation you would have been afraid of the nazi's too. Amazing how after a few generations people forget. Iran is no different from pre war germany.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

It's all about strategy, heart and the will

That is correct, but not in the correct sense.

We lost in Vietnam because we were fighting vietnamese in their OWN lands, with no REAL reason.
We are losing in Iraq because we are killing Iraqi's in their own homes, all for corporate oil and regional control.
We will not defeat Iran becasue we are again fighting for oil and regional control,they will be fighting the aggressive occupying nation.

As my sig says, tribalism is the worst enemy. Todays fighting men ( not the seasoned leaders ) but the teen who signed up on the streets cares only for his ipod, his macca's and his pay cheque.

saving future generations and families doesnt compute as much, where as the Iraqi/iranian fighting because his land has been invaded and his people killed has more will to fight and die for what IS right, and what isnt.

The USA may win the battle of guns vs guns, tanks vs tanks, but once they have toppled the iranian leadership what then? what will syria and lebanon do to israel? what will iranian men and women do to any western citizen, or retaliate against iraq?
How much money will need to be poured into the Iran conquest, as well as the Iraqi conquest, into the Israeli defense/retaliation, into saudi and chinese banks etc etc

You may win the battle, but you will be defeated in the end.

Your economy cant handle it, your people wont stand for it and the world wont allow it.

[edit on 17-4-2008 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

The great depression was pretty bad. If the US economy crashes, the whole world is in for a ride, not just the US.

And the US will bounce back. It may take 10 years.

I'm not concerned about the US, I'm concerned about the people that have to endure hardship during the bad years (if they come).

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Its a differing of opinion. Russia certainly deserves credit, but had the US not entered the war, we could all be arguing over rather we would be speaking English or Russian right now (meaning we would be speaking German right now).
The Russian cold also played a significant factor in Russias defeat of the Nazis.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by West Coast]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by West Coast

Yes it did. The Nazi's made a major error in moving in to those Russian winters like that.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I agree, I think we all will take hardship no matter what our situation,

10yrs? possible, I think though, the US needs a major overhaul of its economic system, its governmental system, medical system, foreign relations system if it were to recover.

They need to change our 1920's build economy, to match one for the 21st century.
They need to focus on ensuring the medical service remains intact and long term.
They need to understand different nations have different desires, and Israel cannot be given the benefit of the doubt EVERY time.

Unfortunately, this means MAJOR revoution and change, something the current leadership and shadow government will not allow.

Blood will need to be spilt, in order to save the United States of America the world used to trust and follow.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Amen, you talk it straight and with truth...

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Who in the world (aside from Ahmadinejad) said anything about Iran being the most powerful nation?

I don't think anyone is saying that. If any of you read the article you would understand the context in which this speech was given. Apparently, most of you did not.

I am not a huge fan of this man either, but he's no crazier that George Bush.

And to deny the strength of Iran's military is to deny reality. They may not be as powerful as the US, but they have 2 of the most populated countries in the world as their allies, as well as Russia.

We cannot win a war against Iran because we will not only be fighting Iran.

If it was solely the Iranian military versus the US military, sure we'd win. But the odds are much higher now that our military is collapsing in Iraq and Afghanistan.

[edit on 4/18/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Here we go again with we will not win. We may not win but I'm not gonna sit here and say we are gonna lose just because someone says we will! We were winning in Vietnam but the impatience of the flower children and the hippies that try to run our nation today didn't have the gonads to finish it. Look at North Korea today because of it. I as an American will never say lose before the fight.
It's absurd and down right ignorant to say we can't win or we will lose! It's just like telling the Iranians that they can't win. It comes down to the finish not speculation.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

I agree, but only because Americans are not passionate about winning.

If Iran instigated something that caused an uproar in men ages 18-35, Iran would be in trouble.

That's for sure.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
That is a totally incorrect statement. The U.S. military defeated the iraqi military like a hot knife going through butter. Making U.S. soldiers play policemen after the war was won is another matter, and quite foolish IMO.

The US military is bogged down in Iraq, whether by the standing Iraqi military or "insurgents." I stand by my statement.

What did you think our troops were going to do after they invaded?

Something similar happened in viet nam, where the U.S. military won all the battles but politicians were still able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

No no no. We lost Vietnam as well. The politicians don't lose battles. Sorry.

You're whole premise about iran being able to give the U.S. a good fight in a land war has been debunked here and everywhere else many times over.

Where has my "premise" been debunked 'here and everywhere else many time over?' Show me.

If you are finally convinced, then everyone will know that if there ever was a war between the U.S. and iran, there would not be an invasion of iran by large U.S. combat formations. Again
what would happen is that most of iran's combat assets would be destroyed in place and from long range in a very short period of time - maybe even a few days.

How are you going to destroy entrenched bunkers scattered across a million square mile country? Its just not going to happen.

IRAN IS NOT IRAQ.

The next likely thing to happen would be that iran's current theocratic government would fall as people realized that the organizations used to keep them in fear no longer existed.

That'll happen as soon as the US theocratic government falls. It ain't happening anytime soon.

[edit on 4/18/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

Whats more absurd,

Going into a fight half defeated from other fights, undermanned, underfunded and war-weary against a nation whom doesnt deserve a fight and has been preparing?

Or stopping the fight before it happens, recouping, regrouping, re arming and looking for peace?

Your right, we should just go in guns blazing and hope for the best, even though we dont know what the best is.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by danx

Intended for the money???? Wheres the oil and money? Explain that one!

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Dude, the dems pulled the plug on vietnam...pull the america hating head out of the sand.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
dang,
3 pages of decent debate and someone ruins it all with the ol
'' american hater '' label.

how dissapointing.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by Agit8dChop]

link   

Originally posted by budski
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Of course it will.

Thanks so much for you valuable insights and excellent information.

I'll be sure to refer to your posts when I need a valuable source of input.

Ufoorbhunter: Which sources do you check for these valuable pieces of information? Also it would be nice if you could provide more insight and details to your interesting theories?

link   

Originally posted by Sublime620

I agree, but only because Americans are not passionate about winning.

Its not that we're not passionate about winning, its that this isn't a fight worth fighting. We don't need to attack Iran as they do not pose any threat to the US.

They're not even a threat to Israel...

All Ahmadinejad is doing is blowing smoke to make his country look stronger. He doesn't want to be invaded as much as the next guy.

If Iran instigated something that caused an uproar in men ages 18-35, Iran would be in trouble.

Iran isn't that stupid, so its not going to happen. Unless the neo-cons decide to pull a false-flag attack before they leave office and blame Iran, we won't be going to war.

We won't see another large influx of volunteers as there isn't anything worth fighting for at the present moment. I don't see an invasion of Iran as a worthwhile fight either.

We're not invading Nazi Germany to free oppressed peoples. We invaded Iraq to supposedly free the Iraqi people, but they seem to be worse off now than they ever were under Saddam.

If we were to invade Iran, we would not be freeing an oppressed people either, we'd be invading to secure a cheap oil supply and protect Israel's interests.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Your right, we should just go in guns blazing and hope for the best, even though we dont know what the best is.

I'd like to know who said that
I'm not right on that , because I didn't say it! Look! I love this world and wish for peace, but I'm not gonna sit here and listen to you say America can't win. It doesn't matter if you said Iraq can't win or I ran can't win or whoever. It's ignorant to call a fight before the fight.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

Spot on,
America has an unbelievable fighting force if the right incident occured, if your people genuinley believed their lives and nation were at stake, you'd pummel Iran,

but sadly thast not the case, and people know it.

But, on your good point, look at it in the opposite tone,

Imagine the trouble the US would be in, if they instigated something in Iran which turned their 15-50 age base profoundly patriotic?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join