It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Tibet? Hell, free America!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by emeessa

I'm from the UK, and we have members from all over europe, canada and australia and new zealand, but a large proportion of members are from the US.

A lot of the US members dislike what their government does, but of course some support the government as well in their wars and what I see as restrictive laws which are dangerous to the freedom and liberties of people.

If you spend time on here, you'll see many opposing points of view on many different issues, and the site motto is "Deny Ignorance"

There are forums for many topics both on ATS and it's sister site BTS.

If you'd like some site info, you can find it here and here - just click on the blue words.

I have enjoyed reading your posts, as you have provided a great point of view and a different perspective.

I really hope you enjoy it here and I hope to read more of your excellent posts.

There are lots of things to learn and people to learn from - if you ever have any questions, just ask, and members will always be happy to help out.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

China shoots Tibetins just trying to go on pilgrimages .. they shoot them for being political dissidents and so forth..

America injects serial killers, rapist, murderers... the scum of the scum, the worst of the worst, and you honestly have the nerve to say THAT is the same thing?

Please....

You are relating innocent people being murdered to killers being put down for the sake of society. Do you enjoy having your tax dollars spent to pay for a child rapist to live in a cage for the rest of his life?

I don't think we kill enough, I think we should drag half the prison population and put a bullet in the back of their head. Maybe we could reallocate some of the funds wasted on these poor excuses for civilized men and put it towards education or health care.

and we top it off by imprisoning tens of thousands more merely for growing or selling a bit of marijuana or Ecstasy or meth

Right about the weed, its a none-serious drug that is widely used and does not have many proven side effects, imo, no worse then drinking or smoking.. HOWEVER, Meth, E, Coke, so on.. lets just legalize it all, and allow it to be sold in shops. Then we would be a truly free and well functioning society..

Now go slam a few beers and a fistful of Xanax and forget about it.

And a sentence like this imo, of course, proves the childishness about the situation.

We still have a hateful fundamentalist religious right that, despite nicely fracturing itself over the fact that certain chunks of it aren't hateful enough toward women and gays and sex and non-Christian beliefs, still freaks out when kids play dress up, still is horrified by the notion of a black or female president, still honestly believes homosexuality is an abomination and Jesus spoke perfect English and stem cells have feelings and cavemen rode dinosaurs and the vagina is Satan's playground. Which, of course, it totally is. But in a good way.

That was funny. Not being a member of the Religious right, I cannot defend them in sense that "I don't think that way!" but being of the more conservative line.. the only thing I see from a statement like this is lets declare national Atheism as a religion, ban all forms of religion, and let us let a government or a panel of bleeding heart liberals tell us what best for us, what is most progressive for us.

*sigh* ..

One group feels their rights are censored by another, so the only way to not be censored is to censor the group you feel is censoring. Boy, that makes sense. But as long as they sit on a high pedestal in their self righteous glory, hey, all the better for the bleeding heart liberal.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

You are misrepresenting the facts again rockpuck - I NEVER SAID ANYTHING OF THE SORT AND YOU KNOW IT.

If you'd like a discussion then great - but I will no longer allow you to misrepresent me and bully me like you tried to do when I was a new member.

I thought we'd got past this sort of thing, but obviously not.

T&C

1). Posting: You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.

[edit on 18/4/2008 by budski]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

The view allways change according to where one's at..
I bet there's a diff in how you and I thinks as the UK and Sweden also have a diff "twist" on things. (Hah, might say this too; Sorry for my bad english..)

But something that the grassroot populations tend to forget the world over is that the easiest way to rule is to keep the people scared in some way, putting their focus on something going on in the "Wild wide world where all people are villains". For us it's the US that's the "Big scary boy on the school"... not Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Israel vs Palestina, Russia, Chinia or.. How is it in the UK? Your country is more involved with the US than mine, who's painted out as being the villain in the world for you?

Unfortunatly we changed from red to blue this last election (left = red, right = blue) and even tho (as far as I know) our "bad blue" are more like others "bad red" we've had quite some bad changes as coming to peoples lives. And no matter how lil my country are, nor how much we try to keep our head officially out of things (which we.. inofficially Ofcourse have a tendency to be in the middle of things Anyway - but don't tell the swedes that) the "big boy" countries such as UK and US do affect us a lot more than the "grassroots", such as my self, would appreciate.

(I got stuck.. sorry.. if I go to much OT kick me)

(Edit reason; i can't eat and allmost spell at the same time)

[edit on 18-4-2008 by emeessa]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

You are misrepresenting the facts again rockpuck - I NEVER SAID ANYTHING OF THE SORT AND YOU KNOW IT.

What? .. How did I misrepresent the facts.. you where relating Tibet to the US judicial system and the American's preference to execute the most heinous crimes..

If you'd like a discussion then great - but I will no longer allow you to misrepresent me and bully me like you tried to do when I was a new member.

.....What? .. The only argument I can even remember having with you was over a Catholic thread?

Sorry if you see my post above as "bullying" .. I just re-read it and I for the life of me cannot see where I was threatening in any way..

I thought we'd got past this sort of thing, but obviously not.

You mean you thought that I would not post my own thoughts in regards to yours when they disagree with you?

To tell you the truth Budski, I am seriously disappointed..

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by emeessa

Welcome to ATS. It is always good to have the point of view from someone on the outside looking in. I agree that this is a country taken over by bible thumpers, but alas a free society encourages such things, we have always had ebbs and waves here and eventually the religious fervor will die down.

After sveven years of Bush a large part of the population has finally averted their attention from there own pockets and bank accounts and back on to the social dangers we face. I see some real change coming...but as I said earlier I think it will get worse before it gets better.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

China shoots Tibetins just trying to go on pilgrimages .. they shoot them for being political dissidents and so forth..

America injects serial killers, rapist, murderers... the scum of the scum, the worst of the worst, and you honestly have the nerve to say THAT is the same thing?

Please....

You posted this yes?

Show me where I said they were the same.

I posted an article - the article made comparisons, I did not.

If you don't like the article and what it says, write to the guy who wrote it and tell him off about it, or take issue with the article in context.

But please don't say or imply that I said something I didn't.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by d11_m_na_c05

Errmm...how so? Most cheap manufactured products are now made in China - yeah, we knew that. But how does this relate to the public's personal politcal beliefs in any credible way? Many people have no choice but to buy cheap chinese products. And let's face it - giving all our cash to a repressive regime like China is NOT smart. Not in the long run. The only ones who benefit are the chinese government and the corrupt companies who are quite happy to use cheap, slave labor in China to maximise profits...

Yep, the future sure looks rosey..

J.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

The title of your thread "Free Tibet? Hell, Free America!!"

Then the comparisons in the article.. while I do not say YOU wrote the article, you DO support what the article says, as do many others on this thread which I don't find surprising at all.

Well anyways, so sorry I did not jump on the bandwagon and scream "Ohhh my rights! my rights! they are taking my rights away! even though I have had no personal effect on my life what so ever they are taking my rights away I just know it!!"

through differing ideologies political ghost are created to aim disgruntled feelings against, I guess anyways.

I will just smile and nod at your next thread Budski, unless I happen to agree with you. don't want your panties in bunch now..

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

It would be a mistake to think I agree with every aspect of an article I post - the headline remained the same as it's against the T&C to alter a headline.

I agree with some of it, but not all of it.

Perhaps in future, you could just ask instead of jumping to a conclusion - it would save us both some time and trouble

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by emeessa

I know from working with scandinavians that the view "over there" is very different.

Some would say more enlightened, tolerant or liberal - but I don't have enough experience to know for sure

You're very right about control through fear - it shifts the focus away from the real issues.

Another great post.
thanks again for your input.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Or instead of accusing me of breaking the T&C for assuming you support at least the majority of the article and accuse me of bullying you, you could just politely say "oh look, this is what I agree with, this is what I don't".

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

Thank you

Religion is a powerfull tool for the ones in charge.. (Hence the; God Bless our troops?) and rulers/high society have used it for as long as mankind have existed to manipulate the people.

And yes.. I agree on the theory you have that'll get worser before it gets better, the question is how much damadgecontroll there'll be.

My thoughts about the USpolitics over all is mainly; Withdraw the soldiers and make sure the US Works before putting money to issues in other countries. It'll be very interesting to see how the election goes and what the new president will do..

Keeping "grassroots" down for too long, they'll grow wild sooner or later. And for a country such as US with a violent history I am not sure that I would want to see an eventual "caos" in it.

Let's hope for a change to the better, and a wellfunctioning damadgecontrol over there.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

My thoughts about the USpolitics over all is mainly; Withdraw the soldiers and make sure the US Works before putting money to issues in other countries

A lot of people here agree.

Why do we have troops in 160 countries around the world, and no air defense worth mentioning here in the US on 9/11?

Because our military is no longer in the business of protecting the US. It's in the business of building and maintaining an Empire.

This is something we need to change, and a lot of people are waking up to that fact.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

We're odd ducks over here.. or atleast so say my friends from UK, US and Canada
I guess I better belive them.

I'd say we're the sneaky - and keeping our heads down as much as possible.. both in a cultural way of speaking and in politics.

Something swedes overall don't like is when people tell us where to go, and what to do. Both as a country and as individuals. Might be a reason why so many of us are sceptics when it comes to UN, EU, US and UK.. If people have issues - let them solve it and we can help picking up the pieces afterwards.

"We" don't like the though that someone in case of a meltdown here would Burst in to save the day.. But there's a differance between how Danish people, Norweigan people and Swedish people think too

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

That's good to hear.. and about time
My canadian friends are thinking down that road too, but as for the few friends I have in the US.. they're still a little bit blind. Hopefully they'll join the wakeupclub soon.

Seems like US is slowly moving into the right direction, or atleast it's people.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by emeessa

When the supreme court justices were being appointed then confirmed the religious right came out in full force and about half of the country saw just how dangerous their influence had become. We have a tendency to eventually balance things out over here.

Grass roots are what makes the real change in this country...safety and health issues in all things (Ralph Nader) the 9-11 truth (Jersey Girls...Loose Change) Tibet.. all grass roots movements. Our Founding Fathers were a bunch of rebels fed up with the satis quo.

Unless the Bush administration is able to suspend the upcoming elections or influence (cheat to get McCain in) our troops will be heading home soon.
Americans can be a violent bunch, but what you usually see is the crime that a bad economy brings on when people are angry and have little to fear and no other place to turn, poverty is a big contributor. If we were to see marshall law implemeted in the U.S... well that would be a problem.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

Wether one choose to see the US as founded by rebels or not is an action based on what historical point of view one is teached.. and I have to admit that I don't realy feel that way about your country.. but that's nothing that I'll drag up here at the moment
cuz we'll go on for ages about that.

The way I see it, a country with that much private firearms is not a country with people that "can be a violent bunch" for me that points at the country having a very more liberal culture when it comes to fast ways of killing someone.

Poverty is a main issue all around the world, and something to strive to get rid of. One of the basic human rights (least for me) is to be able to put food in the table, pay the bills and preferably have enough money to buy clothes. As a person it's allways easy to say "Get a job", but in the areas where education is poor, and where it's lacking job opportunities it's hard.. and crimes are a "quick fix" that's at time appeal to frustrated and tied down people.. And thats a trouble area for any nation, we all have them as some degree.

Hopefully the grassroots will move openly and strong IF there's a risk that the election will be manipulated.

Who ever end up president over the US it's hopefully the grassroots putting him/her/it there and it'll have one big task infront of it.

And everything in the world strifes after balance.. it's the way one choose, as a nation or a person, to get there thats the interesting and somewhat scary part about it.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by IAF101

The reason they are clamoring to get into this country is so they can replace us. One day illegal immigrants will take the jobs and homes of every natural born American and we will have nothing unless we stop them now.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by emeessa

I'm not sure where exactly you are located. Holland? You don't have to answer that. If I could I would live in Holland, but for now I am trying to make a living and trying to affect some change in the twighlight zone that my country has become.

The hand gun issue has always been a tough one for me. Before having become a victim of crime I would have said no guns anywhere. Since the weapon of choice for my attacker was not a gun but a knife, I began to rethink.

I appreciate your observations, I like what you have to say.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join