It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS-Powered Search is Back (and the posts button too)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
As promised, once the database server upgrade and transition was complete, we've returned two important aspects of site functionality that had become problematic.

ATS-Powered Search

Nearly three years ago, we initiated core changes in our database schema to accommodate boolean searches of posts and threads. The boolean method provided exceptionally granular search capabilities, but over time, the massive size of our content database ended up being an overall performance issue, both for accommodating boolean capabilities, and in the search performance as well.

The new ATS Search linked in the menu bar is a completely re-written search routine that comes very close to the granularity of boolean as well as delivering a retooled search result that more closely matches the "ATS experience."

Our new search pages provides a collection of search tools:

1) Google: a more detailed form for using Google to run more complex searches on all of ATS than what would be possible with the small form at the top right of every page.

2) Search Topics: a form for searching only the text of thread topics within all forums, select forums, and by author name.

3) Search Posts: a form for locating specific text and phrases within the content of posts in specific forums, by specific members, within specific time frames.

4) Search Tags: a brand new method for searching thread tags, focusing on searching for single-words within the site-wide tag cloud. (this one is still in-progress as more functionality is planned in the near future)

All Posts By Member

The same attributes designed to accommodate boolean search was also slowing down delivery of results from the [POSTS] button that displays all posts by any given member... and as a result, high-volume use of this function would result in site-wide slow-downs.

After the upgrade to our new server and roll-back of the boolean accommodations (with a few other special ingredients), this function no longer impacts overall site performance, and has been returned. You can easily find all posts from a member by the link just below each of their posts, or the link on their profile page.

If you encounter any issues you may feel are bugs or needed improvements in the ATS-Powered searches, please use this thread to bring them up.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Thank you

Hopefully this will assist with multiple threads about the same topic.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Thanks, I can find myself again.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

The ATS-powered search features are working very well. I appreciate you & your staff. Thanks for developing & implementing so many great features for all of the members of this website to use, ATS staffers.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Only a one word post ....

YIPPEEE!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
i am as guilty as anyone for giving you stick over the post function. but i have to say damn good work man.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Wow thank you Bill. That new search button looks amazing. I'm not sure I've ever had the pleasure of using it, but now I will be. Thanks again!

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Thank you! I haven't been posting much lately, but am still reading and learning and the re-introduction of the more robust search methods is very welcome.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
the new search is great... thanks.

four questions:

1) does ats log search requests?

2) is there any way to increase the max posts displayed above 250? Is there any way to access our older posts? it would be great if when you clicked on post you brought up the most recent hundred; but could also scroll back through multiple pages of 100 to view all posts to day one.

3) is there any way to download all posts from a user?

4) what about a hard copy? I brought this up in another thread... but it would be really cool if for 19.95 you could by a hard copy of someone's collective posts. Perhaps more for multiple volumes. Good revenue potential, and it could be automated through a publisher.

Sri Oracle

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Great news!

Thanks and congratulations to all involved in the upgrade and deployment of these immensely vital features.

Well done!

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Awesome...

Definitely glad the Post feature is back...

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Great job Skeptic Overlord!

Thanks for the new search utility!
It will certainly come in handy!

[edit on 17-4-2008 by Palasheea]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
A big improvement, and it really works great, good work ATS.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Thank you so much for returning the post button! I love all of you madly

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Very nice work indeed.

I do like it.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Excellent!

Now I can trip back in time! And not be wasting my time, back tripping!

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Sorry, but I'm not sure where to ask this: Where can I find out what the different points (ATS, BTS, PTS) are and how the points are awarded? Thanks.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Hello Alkhemist, and welcome to Above Top Secret- your new favorite
website!

I wondered the same thing as you, about the point system, perhaps i can
answer your question.

The point system is a cool feature, and i still don't fully understand every
detail, but i believe the administrators and moderators use it to both
reward members for good, civil participation in the threads; and as a way
to de-merit, and warn members about breaking decorum, without having
to ban them.

If you use the 'search link' in SkepticOverlord's post, type in: Point System

You'll be referred to previous threads that discuss and explain it...

I just tried it, before responding to you, and got back 4 threads! (wouldn't
want to do all your work for you, in "denying ignorance", as is the motto
of ATS)!

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Been busy, but wanted to express my thanks for the "posts" button. Very well appreciated.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by FRIGHTENER

Thank you so much, Frightener! That was a BIG help. This site is so HUGE, so I'm still trying to find my way around. I'm learning, though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join