It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher Slanders Pope. He Should Be Fired

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Maher is the man and he should NOT be fired this is free speech and he has every right to say it and if he offends enough people trust me he would be fired like Imus. Imus offended many people in his comments he had the right to say them but he paid.

With that being said I do understand what the op is saying. There is a double standard when it comes to talking crap. You draw pics of muslims they flip...you deny the holocaust they flip, you call basketball players nappy headed hoes they flip, you but on christianity or the pope or catholosm no one cares. There is a double standard but you know what I go back to my original statement its free speech and Bill or anyone else has the right to say it but I promise you it will end when people get pissed enough.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
JUST REMEMBER FOLKS, THE GREATES TRICK THE DEVIL EVER PULLED IS TRICKING YOU INTO THINKING HE DOESNT EXIST. I WOULD SAY TAKE A LOOK AT HOLY SCRIPTURES. DID YOU KNOW JESUS IS THE MOST QUOTES PROFIT IN THE QUARAN? YET WE SAY MOHAMMAD IS A TERRORIST?

Galatians 5
Freedom in Christ
1 So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law.

Isaiah 10

1 Woe to those who make unjust laws,
to those who issue oppressive decrees,

2 to deprive the poor of their rights
and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people,
making widows their prey
and robbing the fatherless.

3 What will you do on the day of reckoning,
when disaster comes from afar?
To whom will you run for help?
Where will you leave your riches?

4 Nothing will remain but to cringe among the captives
or fall among the slain.
Yet for all this, his anger is not turned away,
his hand is still upraised.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grock
There are a few things here that you may not be aware of.

A) The Catholic Church was allied with germany during ww2 and Hitler was given a personal and public blessing by the pope at that time.

B) Jesus was killed for saying that he could take away peoples sins (ie blasphemy) yet the catholic church says that THEY have the power to take away someones sins (The Great Blasphemer in revelations).

I support Bill Mahers assertions, and more catholics should be aware of exactly who/why they are being led by. Possibly Satan himself.

The Catholic Church does not say "they" can take away sins themselves. Another comment bashing the Church by people that do not understand the complexities of the faith. The confessing if sins can be traced back to the apostles, not something made up by Catholic's.

The Pope was forced to join a youth group like EVERY other male his age. He fled the country. He has dedicated his entire life to the Church and education in the faith.

What Maher did was an attack on Christianity, just like the MSM decided to publish all kinds of stories about Cardinals and the abuse scandal the day the Pope Benedict XVI arrived in the US...But, I realize free speech is important.

OP, I am compassionate to your reasons for being upset, but you should try not to let it bother you so much. As long as you are confident in your faith and spread the word to people that want to hear it, that is good enough in my opinion. I am Catholic but you know it is just the world we live in. People are attacking faiths of all denominations on a daily basis, as you can see on many threads here.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

Finally someone gets it.
I guess you're right, it takes a whole butt load of people to get upset before anything will get done, but more importantly it has to do with the power of boycott of the green kind.

Sure it's free speech, but regarding the nappy headed ho's comment made by Imus, I never understood why if it was so offensive, why did they then show at the press conference completely made up and made over.

Btw, I know wat you mean about double standards. That man in your avatar, he lost his job because he was promoting the only American products left that have yet to be outsourced,
...Prostitution and Beer.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
OOPs, double post -

[edit on 18-4-2008 by Alxandro]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Comsence2075

The Pope was forced to join a youth group like EVERY other male his age. He fled the country. He has dedicated his entire life to the Church and education in the faith.

What Maher did was an attack on Christianity...

it was the law to join the hitler youth, but 10-20% disobeyed that law. he didn't though...and he never fled the country.

anyone who attacks christianity is alright by me...it's the moral thing to do.

[edit on 17-4-2008 by Freakaloin]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freakaloin

What Maher did was an attack on Christianity...

it was the law to join the hitler youth, but 10-20% disobeyed that law. he didn't though...and he never fled the country.

anyone who attacks christianity is alright by me...it's the moral thing to do.

[edit on 17-4-2008 by Freakaloin]

Yes he did flee as soon as he could. Do some research. I am sure you know what it was like to be a teenager in Nazi Germany. And ALL GERMAN YOUTH HAD TO JOIN. He got out of the youth group to join the priesthood. Then when he was drafted by the German Army and after training he deserted. He was captured by American soldiers and spent time as a POW.

[edit on 17-4-2008 by Comsence2075]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
HAHA! pretty funny, and never a truer word spoken in jest. Although his comments wouldn't stand up to scrutiny, you have to remember this is ostensibly a comedy show, not a philosophy discussion. The Church deserves all the riducule it gets, as far as I am concerned. I also believe it's adherants are fair game too. Same goes for Islam or any other whack-job religion. The world would be a much better place without you all. Here's to hoping the NWO can fix all this nonsense

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
At the risk of repeating myself.

There will never ever ever be a good excuse to fire someone for exercising his God given rights. Corporations should be in the business of selling a product or providing a service and should conform to the constitution like all citizens should, instead of changing the constitution as they see fit using profits, like the whores they are, as an excuse!

I'm afraid more attention is being payed to whether or not something is PC.

When PC should never have been tolerated by the masses. In addition, the masses should be contemplating, THE WHY, behind the politicians, allowing the corporations to use this obvious infringement on FREE SPEECH against ANYONE.

But I guess, we're too mesmerized with bouncing boobies on tv, and the latest pop song or other popular garbage we as a group bought into, not knowing it is just a pied piper, controlling us and leading us to our doom.

The sad thing is, people have lost sight of what is right and wrong and are caught up in a lie and don't even know it.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Yes he did flee as soon as he could. Do some research. I am sure you know what it was like to be a teenager in Nazi Germany. And ALL GERMAN YOUTH HAD TO JOIN. He got out of the youth group to join the priesthood. Then when he was drafted by the German Army and after training he deserted. He was captured by American soldiers and spent time as a POW.

uh when did he flee the country? he was a hitler youth in 41, he was drafted in anti-aircrafts corps in 1943, either got sick or faked sickness to not fight, when the allies took over he was put into a pow camp until for a few months. did he flee before or after all of this?...

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freakaloin

uh when did he flee the country? he was a hitler youth in 41, he was drafted in anti-aircrafts corps in 1943, either got sick or faked sickness to not fight, when the allies took over he was put into a pow camp until for a few months. did he flee before or after all of this?...

Alright, I am not here to debate the Pope's childhood with you, and I shouldn't have even started because it is off topic. Refusing to fight for the German's at that time was like suicide.

Hey, as much as I defend the Church, I defend our civil liberties JUST as hard. In the end, anybody has a right to voice their opinion on whatever they want. If you want to bash Churche's, good luck to you. I am not going to sink to the level that many Atheist's AND Christians do.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
The lies or rather half truths spewed by Maher should at least be pointed out here.
For anyone to call someone else a Nazi is bad enough but to let the statement go unchallenged is very dangerous because that's when the half truth becomes accepted as the truth.

If he was forced and became a Nazi against his will speaks volumes compared to if he had joined voluntarily, and this is why Maher should be challenged, and this is why it's slanderous.

Another lie is when Maher claims the Pope wrote a letter to aim for the statute of limitations. No such thing.

The issue here is that a big part of me is tired of turning the other cheek, which I why I find myself being more vocal about issues that can affect us all.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
"Maher to apologize."

If anybody is interested and has not seen this yet.

I can't get the link to work but it is on www.drudgereport.com, and links to cns news.

This is basically the article:

"Liberal talk show host Bill Maher, whose controversial comments about the pope drew fire from the Catholic community, is planning to apologize Friday night for falsely accusing Pope Benedict XVI of being a Nazi, the Catholic League announced Thursday.

Catholic League President Bill Donohue received a phone call Thursday from an HBO executive regarding comments Maher made last Friday on HBO's "Real Time With Bill Maher."

As Cybercast News Service previously reported, Donohue said Maher "lied when he said the Pope 'used to be a Nazi.' Like all young men in Germany at the time, he was conscripted into a German Youth organization (from which he fled as soon as he could). Every responsible Jewish leader has acknowledged this reality and has never sought to brand the Pope a Nazi. That job falls to Maher."

Apparently HBO agreed with Donohue's assessment. "Apparently, now Maher does as well. Ergo, the apology," Donohue said."

[edit on 18-4-2008 by Comsence2075]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

I missed your point Alxandro, but I do see where you are comming from now. And thanks for having a noble mindset!
I guess I could agree with you on those points, where when I dont agree with someone and dont say anything at all.. Where will I be when they come after me? You make a good point.
And honestly Bill M. is just a joker. I dont think he is even that funny, and cant stand the man. He is just a leftwing Gatekeeper. Just as bad as those on the right, side to side.. I guess we can learn a thing or two about this. I know I can say at first I didnt get it..
But after seeing that post, and saying that to myself almost all the time I get it.. Thanks for clearing it up for me anyway.
However that doesnt change my feelings about the pope or any of those people.
We all have to stand on some side of the fence. And when the other side is attacked, some of us want to cheer it on.. when infact we should be defending those we dont agree with, as some day they will come after all sides of the fence, and by that time, there will be no one left to speak.

I see what you mean.. And will take that into consideration.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

Zysin, thanks for taking a few steps back, I'm glad you can see more of the entire picture. I appreciate your honesty and sincerity.

Before we can begin to deny ignorance we must first learn to try to think objectively.

As I stated in my initial post, I am not a heavy supporter of the Pope as some of the folks here seem to think, in fact I've posted a few times here that he actually kinda looks like that character from the Underdog cartoon, Simon Barr Sinister. Hope I don't go to hell over that.

I may have been raised Catholic but I disagree with the Vatican on a very many issues. Like many here on ATS I feel Man-made religions have caused much confusion and problems over time and I really dislike the religious fanatics, but I dislike the ir-religious fanatics even more.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by Alxandro]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I dislike this pope immensely...there's just something about him...I could care less about matters of religion- but this pope mind as well be involved with politics the way he's parading around the country now trying to instill "values we've lost"...give me a break...what are you bush?

AND- he has added certain sins that I just find contradict the entire religion belief system...How can the pope add sins? He is just a man...For those who are strong religion believers- good for you...but its just not for me

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Comsence2075

You're right I guess he apologized, though I haven't seen the clip since I don't have HBO.
Maher probably realized this was bad timing to be criticizing the Pope and probably saw another pink slip in the horizon if didn't react.

Chalk this up as a victory for all, even the Pope haters.

[edit on 19-4-2008 by Alxandro]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The more I think about this subject the more the pope seems like the CEO of a corrupt corporation.

Why do these men (popes) not spend more time really working at creating peace on this planet. Giving a speech about peace a time or two during the year isn't much of an effort. What about all the money piled up at his place. Don't hear much about him helping with food in the poor countries. I suppose the MSM hides it if it happens, right.

It is a great business model.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

I am not a heavy supporter of the Pope as some of the folks here seem to think........

Hope I don't go to hell over that..........

I may have been raised Catholic but I disagree with the Vatican on a very many issues...........

Like many here on ATS I feel Man-made religions have caused much confusion and problems over time and I really dislike the religious fanatics, but I dislike the ir-religious fanatics even more.

What are you saying Alxandro you disagree with the catholic church on many issues but you can't stand to see people being critical of the pope.

Sounds like you already know how detrimental to humanity the religous are but your not willing to get on our side because you think you might go to hell?

In all honesty Alxandro if I could make evrything in the world right, there would be no abrahamic religions or the austerity that is buddism(upset alot of people there no doubt)

So why are we fanatical about ridding the world of the yoke that is your precious religions.

We know through experience that the religous will murder the people over something that there is no evidence for, the religous have fear instilled in them and are then told that the priest will make evrything allright if you pay for the upkeep of the church.

I go too far maybe but how far do we have to go before were rid of people who massage their well being with lies when in truth there crippled by their own fear and humanity suffers in the process.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by carslake

What do you mean by "your side"?

Actually the "going to hell" comment was kind of a joke, well in a way.
Whether I do or not all depends on whether God has a sense of humor.
If he does then I guess I'll be ok.

Ghandi: "Oh, I don't reject your Christ. I love your Christ. It's just that so many of you Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Yes, I know a lot of people have been killed throughout history in the name religion, but that is Man, not God, doing the killing. God knew many religions would be created in His/Their name just like he knew Adam would eat from the tree of knowledge but still He/They/It allowed this to unfold.
Some people choose not to believe and that is OK for these people also serve a purpose in our education. Man was given free will to believe and not to believe and those that believe, I admit, do tend to go to extreme. As a result, the non believers tend to give all believers the same label and conveniently choose to blame God for all wrong doing.

Religion is nothing more than a scaffold used while a building is constructed but as dangerous and as faulty this scaffold may be it is still vital to the construction of the building.
Some may think I was angered because ridicule and hatred was directed at the Pope but I was more angered because people do not see the danger of these attacks especially when they offer no alternative plan for salvation whatsoever. Religion may be nothing more than a map and I'm sure you will agree Man needs plenty of direction, and those that claim Man does not need a map are only fooling themselves.

Why do people like ridiculing things that make them uncomfortable?
Why?
Is it because something happened to them during childhood that now they blame God for everything?
Since God is not around let's attack his representative.

Yes, I dislike the religious fanatics, but I dislike the ir-religious fanatics even more.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join