It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher Slanders Pope. He Should Be Fired

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
OP you must have liked the show before he made his comment? otherwise you wouldn't have been watching it? i cant stand the man myself Maher i mean although not to fond of the pope either he is creepy, you have a button where you can change channels thats all you had to do but sounds like you stayed till the end?

As for the truth, he didn't say anything that was not true IMO and im sorry you where offended by that, fact is Maher is not the only one to say these things a lot of folk have, he shouldn't be fired because of his comment he should be fired because he is crap and smarmy, maybe more important things should occupy your time? like the billions who are about to starve to death while the vatican sits on its wealth. All IMHO of course.

As for that picture above, the man is creepy really creepy.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The leader of the Catholic religion has more blood on his hands than Saddam, Hitler, and Bush combined... IMHO

Deal with it...

[edit on 17-4-2008 by coastlinekid]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I'm no fan of Bill Mahr, but what did he say exactly that was a lie?

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
ummm...wheres the lies? I think you are more upset that he is calling out the head of your religion and making fun of him. Poking fun is his job so I doubt he would be fired for that. So that leaves slander. Well he didnt lie.

Pope's Nazi past
As John Paul II's right hand man, in charge of enforcing the conservative papal policy, Cardinal Ratzinger earned an unfortunate nickname from his more progressive peers: the "Panzer Cardinal". Like the tank. Pope Benedict XVI, now 78, had his own brush with warfare as a young boy growing up in Nazi Germany.
# At age, 14 membership in Germany's "Hitler Youth" became mandatory. So Joseph Ratzinger enrolled
# He managed to get out early so he could study for the priesthood.
# Two years later, when he was 16, Ratzinger was drafted again by the German Army.
# Ratzinger worked as a helper in an anti-aircraft briagde.
# In 1945, he was put through basic training and stationed near his hometown in Bavaria.

I dont think I need to go into his other claims about the church and young boys, I think that has been pretty well documented

The following post makes reference to blindly following. You should really think about this, just because you grew up being taught something doesnt make it so. The Pope is a man, no different than you and I, just man, no closer to god than you and I....he just happens to wear a dress and a funny hat. In my book thats not a good enough reason to listen to him.

"I'll call no one father who is no closer than a stranger" --Philip Anselmo

[edit on 17-4-2008 by Ziltoid_the_Omniscient]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
It's a current events show, mixed with satire.
Maher was doing his job.
He says things like this about people all the time.
The Pope is a person.

I don't see a problem with this.
Is there something about Pope that elevates him above the rest of us?

Agreed. Bill Maher is not attacking faith, he is attacking organized Christianity, which is something most of us do on this web site and in our personal lives on a daily basis.

Faith can be beautiful, but it can be ugly too. Blindly following others is ALWAYS wrong.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Maher is a moron ... but he has free speech and can say what he wants.
Unlike IMUS, eh? ... hmmm
And no, I don't like IMUS and supported his being fired.
I'm just making the comparison.
Why fire IMUS and not MAHER for making the same type of smears?

Yes, that's my point exactly.
If a person pokes fun at another person that happens to belong to a certain group, and the other people that also happen to belong to this group take offense when it is apparent this same joke is also directed at them, they in turn have every right to gripe, cry foul demand justice in the court of public opinion.

What gives Maher the immunity not given to Imus and Rhoads/Roades?

For the record, I am not a religious nut. A year or two ago, this incident would not bother me at all and I also would brush it off and say "don't like it, change the channel", but where does it go from there?
You let one thing go today, then another tomorrow and so on,..where will we be next year?

What one generation tolerates, the next will accept without question.

I don't like what some of these Priests' have done to little boys and the Church should do what it has to do to make ammends, but Maher makes jokes about the "molestee".
Where is the outrage over this?
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Bill Maher is not a comedian because a real comedian should not have to rely on any "APPLAUSE" sign to get his audience to react.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Bill Maher is the joke imo, he's not funny without writers. Allthough his comments about the child sexual abuse were exagerated and unfairly aimed at him when John Paul II was the man with all the power, but there is truth in it and they are guilty to a degree. Where I think Maher went over the line was the Nazi comment. The Nazi's were a minority faction that seized control of the German govt, they used manipulation and fear. They tricked and forced their will on their own people. Being forced into a youth brigade at 13 doesn't make him a Nazi, it makes him a victim. The way Maher called him a Nazi was intent on comparring him and his beliefs with the Nazi party, which is slander and clearly shows a lack of sympathy towards unknowingly duped Germans.

To the people that say turn the channel or whatever. Thats not the point, if people have a public outlet and use it to slander and acuse people, groups of people, religions, ect. then they themselves should be monitored. I don't think he should be fired personally but he should not be immune to critisism himself. If he can dish it he can take.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I really can't say much that hasn't been said already in this thread, so I'm gonna quote someone:

"It's funny 'cause it's true! HAHAHA!" ~ Chris Griffin, The Family Guy

Seriously... The Family Guy busts on high figures all the time, in a simular tone and fashion, including the pope. It's kinda amusing that it was brought back to the T.V. by popular demand. Yet we got us here a thread asking that Bill Mahr get canned for HIS comments? If it were to happen, he would've got canned a long time ago for something like "Perpetuating lies about the commander-in-chief and reducing American morale concerning the war in Iraq".

On that note, why not can him on the premise that he's hindering the war efforts by way of demoralization of his followers?

Really wish alot of christians would wake up and realize that they are, and support, the evil that they are warned about in their godly little black book. Satan's biggest lie: claiming to be on the "other side". Seriously, if I were wanting to take down a corporation, the best way would to become high in position of power on the inside... win their trust, then take them down with their consent! WAKE UP! Step outside your little rules and qualms and take a nice long look at your religions and see what they REALLY stand for and represent. Repression of and compliance by human beings, to serve the need of a few. Pray for Bush, pray that our soldiers will kill all the infadels, support the new holy war! Support the Pope... he's the only one wwho 'knows', right? He's so high and mighty! He wears the hat, he must be god's messanger! Anyone else hearing voices are just crazy... they aren't divine enough...

ok, done ranting... and this was originally gonna be a fairly short post, lol.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

wasn't just profiteering. prescott bush was sensured by the senate for aiding and financing the nazis.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
this just proves people don't want the truth if it hurts. They want to be comforted. I'm believing less and less in Christianity's validity so I'm a little biased but his words were blunt and I can see how people were offended. However people are getting offended waaaaay too easily these days. Lighten up people.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Why should Bill be fired?

Is he any different than Jesse Ventura telling it like it is?

Are there not sexual charges against some of the Catholic Church's figures?

Are there not documented records of figures being moved around to other locations instead of getting help for their problem?

I am not even in the Pope's world, why should I be prevented of hearing others speak their opinions about him? because he's The Pope?

A title doesn't make the person.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I don't know what the guy said but good on him !

I hate the pope and the vatican with every atom of my body.

Also, the new pope looks evil as hell. There should be no such thing as the pope, imagine all the money you would get for selling all the things in the vatican. Then imagine using that money to help struggline families worldwide to get out of poverty.

Bunch of money grubbing, blood drinking, child raping poo poo heads!!!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Because there's a large difference between a premium cable station, and public airwaves, with regards to what falls under "The Roolz" and what doesn't.

It's pretty much the same reason that HBO can air Deadwood, with it's use of the F-word in every sentence.

Who died and made you Tipper Gore, anyway?

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Lets see here:

If Mr. Maher said something about African Americans I think this thread would be singing a different tune. When is he going attack Muslims? And that's what he does, attack! He has nothing but an agenda of hatred toward Christians and Catholics but he disguises it as comedy and thinks we are too stupid to notice.

If I were to choose someone to despise in life (which is not my way) Bill Maher would be at the top of the list. He has no respect for anything or anyone that's not a God hating, left winged liberal.

I shouldn't even have wasted time posting about this guy as he's not worth it.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The way I see it in regards to public speak and the media is simple:

It doesn't matter if what a person says is inflammatory, insensitive or hurtful as long as what they are saying is the TRUTH.

You can never fault a man for saying the truth, and in most instances for saying what 99% of eveyone else is thinking, but afraid to say. Just because you wear a pointy hat and a robe doesn't raise you above scrutiny and commentary by the masses. If you intend to elevate yourself and cast yourself as God's #1 homie here on Earth, you had better have a clean house because people are going to be all in your business.

And who is to say that he was "forced" or coerced into joining the Hitler Youth. In all honesty this guy could have been goose stepping everywhere he went, he could have been Joseph Mengele's personal assistant. It's funny, every other confirmed Nazi party member has been hunted doen by Mossad and put to death. This guy admits to being Hitler Youth and ends up with the highest position in the most powerful religion in the world
Don't ask don't tell I guess.

[edit on 4/17/08 by BlackOps719]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Okay short and sweet.. Imus used slander. Napy headed hoes. Thats slander, a lie.
Bill spoke the truth, The pope is a Nazi, he covers up pedophile cases with Vatican blood money and gold, They are a big cult!

Come on, take a good look into the eyes of your "pure" souled Pope.

I wouldnt be shocked if he is standing on a pizza in that pic.
(little Nicky referance)

Edit- Just to add Im no fan of Bill.. I cant stand him.
He is a leftwing gatekeeper.. A joker. A mocker and scoffer..

[edit on 17-4-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

Yes, that's my point exactly.
If a person pokes fun at another person that happens to belong to a certain group, and the other people that also happen to belong to this group take offense when it is apparent this same joke is also directed at them, they in turn have every right to gripe, cry foul demand justice in the court of public opinion.

You can cry all you want but I don't see anything of Maher's remarks as threatening(unless you're catholic!)

What gives Maher the immunity not given to Imus and Rhoads/Roades?

uh... there is a difference between slander and the TRUTH

For the record, I am not a religious nut.

I seriously can't stop laughing

What one generation tolerates, the next will accept without question.

Yes, being a Nazi and covering up(or participating in???) child molestation aren't that bad! We don't want the kids thinking otherwise!

I don't like what some of these Priests' have done to little boys...

Then why would you support someone who covered up these crimes?

Bill Maher is not a comedian because a real comedian should not have to rely on any "APPLAUSE" sign to get his audience to react.

Last I checked it was just a TV show not stand up...

OP's ignorance is asstounding

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I always find it amazing how quickly catholics (&christians) become offended when it comes to an opinion on the pope, then, in the same breath, they will talk about muslims and how terrible their beliefs are.

As a pagan, I find it amazing that people put their hope and faith into a man who has had a corrupt and ugly past. But I feel that way any time people put their faith in man.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
My only gripe is what ever happened to "Sticks and Stones can break my bones but names can never hurt me"?

Things done changed. Back in 1993 an incredibly talented artist summed it up with literal and metaphorical mastery.

Notorious B.I.G. - Things Done Changed

Verse one:

Remember back in the days, when niggaz had waves
Gazelle shades, and corn braids
Pitchin pennies, honies had the high top jellies
Shootin skelly, mother#ers was all friendly
Loungin at the barbeques, drinkin brews
With the neighborhood crews, hangin on the avenues
Turn your pagers, to nineteen ninety three
Niggaz is gettin smoked g, believe me
Talk slick, you get your neck slit quick
Cause real street niggaz aint havin that #
Totin techs for rep, smokin blunts in the project
Hallways, shootin dice all day
Wait for niggaz to step up on some fightin #
We get hype and # and start lifin #
So step away with your fist fight ways
Mother#er this aint back in the days, but you dont hear me though

Verse two:

No more cocoa leave-io, one two three
One two three, all of this to me, is a mystery
I hear you mother#ers talk about it
But I stay seein bodies with the mother#in chalk around it
And Im down with the # too
For the stupid mother#ers wanna try to use kung-fu
Instead of a mac-10 he tried scrappin
Slugs in his back and, thats what the # happens
When you sleep on the street
Little mother#ers with heat, want ta leave a nigga six feet deep
And we comin to the wake
To make sure the cryin and commotion aint a mother#in fake
Back in the days, our parents used to take care of us
Look at em now, they even #in scared of us
Callin the city for help because they cant maintain
Damn, # done changed

Verse three:

If I wasnt in the rap game
Id probably have a key knee deep in the crack game
Because the streets is a short stop
Either youre slingin crack rock or you got a wicked jumpshot
#, its hard being young from the slums
Eatin five cent gums not knowin where your meals comin from
And now the #s gettin crazier and major
Kids younger than me, they got the sky grand pagers
Goin outta town, blowin up
Six months later all the dead bodies showin up
It make me wanna grab the nine and the shottie
But I gotta go identify the body
Damn, what happened to the summertime cookouts?
Everytime I turn around a nigga gettin took out
#, my momma got cancer in her breast
Dont ask me why Im mother#in stressed, things done changed

This song is a masterpiece. It's not just about inner city life and strife. It is also about authority and the world at large. Government and war.

Maybe this post is a little overkill, but given this other thread, maybe not. This thread and that thread are clearly related.

Lyrics source

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Because there's a large difference between a premium cable station, and public airwaves, with regards to what falls under "The Roolz" and what doesn't.

Then how would you explain the suspension of Randi Rhodes from Air America after her anti Clinton rant?

She may be on a few radio affiliates but mainly on satellite.

If and when Maher, or anyone else for that matter, makes it to YouTube, he's fair game.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join