It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher Slanders Pope. He Should Be Fired

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Though I am not a practicing Catholic I just want to say this guy should not be allowed to get away for saying the things he said about the Pope on his Friday HBO show.
I know some of you will come to his defense and talk about Bill's freedom of speech and all but this guy went overboard.

Bill Maher is an lying idiot.
He claims the Pope was a Nazi and goes on with more slanderous and offensive lies.

Other people get fired all the time for making offensive comments that are downright hurtful, and so should this guy.

Bill Maher Slanders Pope Benedict XVI

Whenever a cult leader sets himself up as God’s infallible wingman, here on Earth, lock away the kids. Which is why I’d like to tip off law enforcement to an even larger child-abusing religious cult. Its leader also has a compound, and this guy not only operates outside the bounds of the law, but he used to be a Nazi and he wears funny hats. That’s right, the Pope is coming to America this week and ladies, he’s single!

If you have a few hundred followers, and you let some of them molest children, they call you a cult leader. If have a billion, they call you “Pope.” It’s like, if you can’t pay your mortgage, you’re a deadbeat. But if you can’t pay a million mortgages, you’re BearStearn and we bail you out. And that is who the Catholic Church is: the BearStearns of organized pedophilia. Too big, too fat. When the current pope was in his previous Vatican job as John Paul’s Dick Cheney, he wrote a letter instructing every Catholic bishop to keep the sex abuse of minors secret until the Statute of Limitations ran out. And that’s the Church’s attitude: “We’re here, we’re queer, get used to it…”

'Nazi' Pope Runs 'Child-Abusing Cult,' Says HBO's Maher

Catholic League President Bill Donohue responded that Maher "lied when he said the Pope 'used to be a Nazi.' Like all young men in Germany at the time, he was conscripted into a German Youth organization (from which he fled as soon as he could). Every responsible Jewish leader has acknowledged this reality and has never sought to brand the Pope a Nazi. That job falls to Maher."
This guy hould removedto say things about the Catholic Church on his Friday HBO show.

Maher's comments about the Pope were vicious and false, said Donohue, as Pope Benedict XVI was never involved in the sex scandal cover-up.

I would be saying the same thing if he had said the same about any other denomination, imagine if he had said this about Islam.

I doubt he'll lose his job over this but I think the Italian Mob should rough him up a bit anyway.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Well, Randi Rhodes was fired for saying less offensive (and true!
) things about Billary, so you may have a point.

However, the Pope was in the Hitler youth, as many young men were bullied into it and joined just to avoid being singled out for harassment. Tough times call for tough decisions.

God Bless the Pope!

[edit on 16/4/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Sometimes even ignorance can't be excused.This guy is pushing the limits.
He's a whack job,we get what we pay for.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by daddyroo45

Are you talking about Maher or the Pope? I think that it is free speech and he does bring up valid points, even though it is not the most polite way of bringing it up.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Alexandro, even the Pope himself says in his official biography that he was in the Hitler Youth. Why are you against someone just simply telling the truth?

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Although Maher couldn't have said it more blunt, there is truth in his statements. The stigma concerning Catholic priests and their conduct will not subside until their actions change for the better, and since the Pope is in charge of the church, I agree that he should be held responsible for the actions of his followers.

I grew up Catholic, and though I respect the teachings of the church, I've moved further and further away from it. Bill Maher isn't showing any respect to the Pope, but his analogies are very concrete. We need people like Maher to keep the first amendment sacred, even though we may not agree with him.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
There are a few things here that you may not be aware of.

A) The Catholic Church was allied with germany during ww2 and Hitler was given a personal and public blessing by the pope at that time.

B) Jesus was killed for saying that he could take away peoples sins (ie blasphemy) yet the catholic church says that THEY have the power to take away someones sins (The Great Blasphemer in revelations).

I support Bill Mahers assertions, and more catholics should be aware of exactly who/why they are being led by. Possibly Satan himself.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
It's a current events show, mixed with satire.
Maher was doing his job.
He says things like this about people all the time.
The Pope is a person.

I don't see a problem with this.
Is there something about Pope that elevates him above the rest of us?

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by forestlady

Exactly, and ever since the Vatican II there has been a downhill slide in Popes.

I have absolutely no problem with what Maher said, and in reality its a shame that he didn't bring in the idea of a Hitler Youth member hanging out in the US with the grandbaby of a WWII profiteer.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
To be honest, I thought his comments were a little refreshing. I can't begin to describe how tired I am of "political correctness". People don't get points they should be getting because it's so difficult to get through all the sugar coating these days. As was mentioned previously, he didn't say anything that is not true, so what if he doesn't care if the Pope's feelings get hurt.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Bill Maher is a comedian that just happens to mix a lot of politics into his routine. You seem to be trying to hold him to the standards expected of a news show...but it's a comedy show. Personally, I think he's a nutjob...but I have no issues with him doing his job regardless of what he says.

Is there some kind of law that prevents people from publically making fun of the pope? The pope sucks! Should I be watching my door for the pope police to come get me now?

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
My only gripe is what ever happened to "Sticks and Stones can break my bones but names can never hurt me"? I mean are we in the age where if someone says something about you or even someone you know/like/admire/look up to, etc...that person should be fired from their job, looked down on etc?

Where I come from is this...let people like Bill, Imus, and whoever the hell wants to open their mouths and spew stuff like this, do it. Usually the person saying all the stuff makes themselves look more like an ass then anything. Life is way to short to sit and get worked up, angry, or offended over someone saying something. In my line of work I get called pig, nazi, a-hole, etc....and I HAVE to except it. Do I ever let it bother me..NOPE...why..because consider the source of the verbal attack!!! See my point? If this was the pope's brother, family member, friend saying this..then HE has the right to get upset and deal with it if he chooses...no need getting yourself worked up. If people want to pay or sit and watch Bill spout his view...then more power to them..the rest of us will just turn the channel and view whatever it is WE wanna hear!

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Bill was already fired from ABC for speaking about what was on his mind. If you don't like what he has to say you can ignore him or watch something else. He is a comedian/commentator, that's his job, that's what he does and obviously he is good at it. As for the catholic pope, I don't care for him or any religious figurehead that goes on and on about how you need to live your life, etc. Life is a sales pitch and we are all suckers.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
This is nothing more than a deliberate attack on Christianity!
i'm sick of political correctness too but if can't beat them, join them.
Why was it so simple to fire someone like Don Imus for making those stupid comments yet people keep quiet over this.
People get fired for making unintentional mistakes, Maher case was not a mistake.

As much as he hates God, don't be surprised if ends up pissing his life away, drugged up and overdosed in a lonely apartment someday.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Well, if you want to get technical, the miter does give him about three feet of practical height over the rest of us.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I dont think its that bad. Catholicism supresses men from haivng sex. And perversions occur. What about the victims? If you were sexually assualted by a preist, which apparently happens due to th emillions paid out every year, you would like some Pope jokes. If you dont laugh, you cry, Bill Marh is ok in this instance.

SOrry so sloppy, Im tired/..

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Oh come now.
You of all people should know that if Maher had said anything like this about Islam, your panties would be in a wad.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I'm sure that the Pope doesn't care what anybody else says about him, particularly some minor political comedian in America. There are people out there who are trying to literally kill the guy every day. A few stray comments don't mean anything to him.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

He's said such things about Islam, many, many times. I'm going to go on a limb and presume you've never actually watched Real Time, because that goober's always blowing his nose on the Koran or something.

So let's see, you've managed to scream for censorship on religious basis, evidenced false outrage ("This guy on a show I never watch said something I dislike!") and managed to try to attempt a false hypothetical in an attempt to deflect from the fact that you are so far running a 0-3 record against logic.

Change the channel. Real Time is on for an hour on HBO. It's listed in your TV guide listings. It can easily be avoided by those among our number, such as yourself, who can only tolerate hte smell of their own pile.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
What Bill Maher said was true. If the Pope was a CEO of a company
and just transferred criminal pervs rather than firing them that CEO
would have been locked up. It's a disgrace!

The Pope is part of the 4th Reich. That's why they are having the big mass
at Saint Patrick's Cathedral on Hitler's Birthday.

Ever read about the Medici Popes? The mass murderers that were Popes
during the Renaissance? Around 1580-1620. And what about the Popes
who supported the Nazis in WWII?

If the Pope wanted to fulfill the mission of Jesus he could tell all
Christian soldiers to never ever drop bombs on a city or on innocent
people or be excommunicated. I think killing innocent women and
children is a little more of a mortal sin then divorce.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join