It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burckle Crater Impact - Origin of Mesopotamian/other regional floods?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by legionromanes

would you also say that Gilgamesh was 2/3 god and that he defeated the bull of heaven and found a flower that bestows imortality ?

No, but then again we're talking about the flood, not Gilgamesh.

The earliest accounts of Gilgamesh date to 2300bce.

By whose reconning. These are the ones I've run across over time.

Akkadian: Epic of Gilgamesh , no later than 2000 BC (www.sacred-texts.com...

Assyrian: Epic of Atrahasis - written during the reign of king Ammi-saduqa of Babylonia (1647-1626 BCE). www.livius.org...

Eridu Genesis (Ziusudra)- 18th century BC, published 1914 by Arno Poebel
en.wikipedia.org...

Not that big a gap.

they would have been entirely wiped out by the impact within 30 minutes of hearing the splash

No they wouldn't. Burckle's Crater is over 3700 miles away. It would have taken around 5 to 6 hours for any sound to be heard. Knowing that tsunami's don't travel at the speed of sound, it would have been at least a few hours later before any tsunami hit.

Also, the western coast of India, southern coast of Pakistan and Iran would have made a good barrier for whatever hit. All it would have to do is back up the waters in the Persian Gulf. That would have an effect on the Gulf, Tigris and Euphrates rivers.

Just wondering. A 600 foot tall tsunami at point of impact. Would it be anywhere near that tall after traveling 3700+ miles?

thats exactly what I'm saying. the earliest accounts say nothing of a huge flood.

You are right. They merely say a flood, to destroy all of mankind. So are you saying they thought all of mankind lived in Mesopotamia?

you realise of course that this information you've posted is the opinion of the holocene impact working group.

Yes, and it is my opinion that this makes more sense than alot of other theories being presented, i.e. Global Flood, Black Sea Basin Flood, etc.

cormac

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by cormac mac airt

I just found this thread,

cool stuff

A couple of observations about the burckle event,
Its likely very few people survived in the areas hit by the tsunami, and hence there would have been no one left to tell tales.
The splash by such an object would be tremendous its very possible it was still a couple hundred feet tall when it hit the nearby mainlands.
And there would have been several one after another.
The impact would have also thrown billions of tons of water high into the atmosphere where it would take days if not weeks to all rain out, thus the tales about it rainig forty day and such. The people lived to tell about it.

Imagine the devastation of a 3-400 foot tall wave, inlight of what we learned after how many peole died in the 2004 tsunami, which was a baby compared to what would have been thrown up by burckle.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
There were probably numerous eye witnesses of the Burckle ocean impact. Most of them didn't live to tell about it. I find it suprising that only one Sumerian version was found. Only one person explaining an event doesn't paint a full picture. A crime scene needs multiple witnesses to make a good case. I bet at least one individual saw the comet before the tsunami hit land.

Some 19th century writer figured out the Nochian deluge was caused by a comet. The main character in the novel says.

"Soon after midnight I was awaken by a sound in the air, like a shriek or wail passing over the valley. Afterward came short sudden gusts, succeeded by hollow intervals of intense calm. Beneath, a sullen far off roar caused the earth to tremble. As faint dawn glimmered in the east a heavy blast swirled down from the north which shook our building. In a few moments came a hot wind from the opposite direction. The air was filled with dust and at the same time an unusual dampness and a saline odor. Entirely across the entrance of the valley, crowding the very mountain tops, appeared a mighty wall, tottering, crashing, falling, pressed forward by some invisible power. Upon its awful front, in confusion which dazed the sight, were borne trees and timber, fragments of buildings, earth, rocks and mutilated bodies of animals and creatures of the sea; but most dreadful of all were the the ghastly corpses of dead men and women."

Seola, 1878, Mrs. J.G. Smith

[edit on 16-10-2009 by lostinspace]

<< 1   >>

join