It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I hope it gets caught by the editors??????/ WOW I said the same thing about the patriot act and it passed with ease. The fact is this is a way to trample peoples rights even more. If you really look at why we fought the revolutionary war besides the taxes part the crap they are trying to ram down our throat is a good reason. "Why should I trade 1 tyrant 3000 miles away for 3000 tyrants 1 mile away an elected legislature can trample a mans rights just like a king can" To me this statement makes so much sense and We are seeing it over and over. JSO I didnt read all of your posts so correct me if Im wrong but it seems to me like you are defending crap like this. The fact is if this passes your real right to speak openly against the government is officially gone and that is a fact.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

Originally posted by mybigunit
JSO I didnt read all of your posts so correct me if Im wrong but it seems to me like you are defending crap like this. The fact is if this passes your real right to speak openly against the government is officially gone and that is a fact.

No, I'm not defending that crap. That's a rookie mistake a lot of people make.

Stick around here awhile and you'll see people jumping to unfounded, hysterical conclusions all the time. The average member here doesn't take the time to research and understand the issues before they declare that we are living under a tyrannical oppresive police state with no other solution than armed revolt. I merely try to inject a bit of reason into the discussion, that's all. For my efforts, I'm called a right-wing neo-con blah blah blah. Rolls off my back like water off a duck.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by mybigunit
JSO I didnt read all of your posts so correct me if Im wrong but it seems to me like you are defending crap like this. The fact is if this passes your real right to speak openly against the government is officially gone and that is a fact.

No, I'm not defending that crap. That's a rookie mistake a lot of people make.

Stick around here awhile and you'll see people jumping to unfounded, hysterical conclusions all the time. The average member here doesn't take the time to research and understand the issues before they declare that we are living under a tyrannical oppresive police state with no other solution than armed revolt. I merely try to inject a bit of reason into the discussion, that's all. For my efforts, I'm called a right-wing neo-con blah blah blah. Rolls off my back like water off a duck.

Oh ok....we may not be in a Russian type state yet but isnt the point to prevent it from getting to that point? I mean I am new here compared to you but I know a lot about history and unlike the congress I actually read the laws that are about to be passed and when you look at the patriot act and this new law thats coming through...team that up with eminent domain and cameras going all over the place I mean Im not to smart but when it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck sometimes it really is a duck...I think you like me sometimes cant fully comprehend how our country got to the state that its in now. Correct me if Im wrong.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Don't say you're not too smart - you're plenty smart enough to know when something doesn't feel right. I'm just saying, don't be an alarmist.

The thing about this bill is the margin of victory it passed by, 404 to 6. That's amazing. I just cannot see that many of our Rep's selling us out.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
the funny thing is that rights are not usually eroded in one big blast

so when people say her we are not communist china, that annoys me ( unless said poster is replying to another who goes over the top infering we are)...because people may want to have a tendency to dismiss this because it may not be so pleasent but rights are always eroded in a PIECE wise step by step way...and this is a big step!

here's the possible deal, The Prison industry/System is the biggest sector of the economy that shows potential for real growth in the next few years.

The banks are hammered, the boomers are nearing retirement, many people are going to be unemployed as the economy goes south, and guess what the prison system serves as an opportunity to provide jobs as well as with the passage of this bill (should they likely make it retroactive) to cherry pick thoughts posted in MESSAGE BOARDS/ INTERNET in severe cases but most likely start with journalists and even popular anti gov't bloggers, and then charge people with crimes, perhaps labeled as terrorists, and possibly stripping them of their right to a fair and speedy trial. The amount of nit picking may depend on the amount of open space they may have in detainment camps. Now i don't know if it will go that far that fast. I mean china has appox 72 dissidents in it's jails and that is for things like "cyber dissidence". So ...in due time?

this is about $$ as well. what a downer

also i almost forgot it is also a vERY effective way to keep population growth down

in 2000 one out of three young black men were either in jail, probation, or parole, and now as the economic tide turns south (wait till petro dollar is cut if you think things are tuff now) they will not discriminate based on color

the "war on drugs" was used to fill the prison system to capacity and the "war on terror" may try to out do that ........this honestly scares me

also another use would be to make those who have been found to be "cyber dissidents" perhaps ineligible for certain benefits or jobs, or should we reach the point in the future where we have micro chips (well dissidents would be turned off) interesting topic , frightening as well

[edit on 24-8-2008 by cpdaman]

[edit on 24-8-2008 by cpdaman]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Congress shall make no Law god damn it!

What the hell is wrong with this country? What have we come to? Too radicalized? I don't think people are radicalized enough. If they were this stupid # wouldn't fly.

We've lost freedom in this country Ladies and Gentlemen. Welcome to our new world order. The Fascist States of America.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Don't say you're not too smart - you're plenty smart enough to know when something doesn't feel right. I'm just saying, don't be an alarmist.

The thing about this bill is the margin of victory it passed by, 404 to 6. That's amazing. I just cannot see that many of our Rep's selling us out.

The USA PATRIOT ACT was passed without being read by anyone but Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich. Both Voted against it. I wonder if those 6 votes against this bill resulted from someone actually reading the laws the pass.

Bunch of treasonous bastards.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
America was once great...
Dict....err President shrub his administration, most of congress and the cabal that control them have run this country into the ground...

Fascist America in 10 easy steps

1. Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy
After we were hit on September 11 2001, we were in a state of national shock. Less than six weeks later, on October 26 2001, the USA Patriot Act was passed by a Congress that had little chance to debate it; many said that they scarcely had time to read it.

2. Create a gulag
Once you have got everyone scared, the next step is to create a prison system outside the rule of law (as Bush put it, he wanted the American detention center at Guantánamo Bay to be situated in legal "outer space") - where torture takes place.

3. Develop a thug caste
The years following 9/11 have proved a bonanza for America's security contractors, with the Bush administration outsourcing areas of work that traditionally fell to the US military. In the process, contracts worth hundreds of millions of dollars have been issued for security work by mercenaries at home and abroad. IE Blackwater google what this crew is up to lately.

4. Set up an internal surveillance system
On July 10, 2008, President Bush signed the unconstitutional FISA Amendments Act of 2008 (FAA), supposedly aimed at “updating” the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). Unfortunately, the law meant to “update” FISA instead gutted the original law by eviscerating the role of the judicial oversight in government surveillance.

5. Harass citizens' groups
The equally secret Counterintelligence Field Activity (Cifa) agency of the Department of Defense has been gathering information about domestic organizations engaged in peaceful political activities: Cifa is supposed to track "potential terrorist threats" as it watches ordinary US citizen activists. A little-noticed new law has redefined activism such as animal rights protests as "terrorism". So the definition of "terrorist" slowly expands to include the opposition.

6. Engage in arbitrary detention and release
In 2004, America's Transportation Security Administration confirmed that it had a list of passengers who were targeted for security searches or worse if they tried to fly.
Anti-war marcher? Potential terrorist. Support the constitution? Potential terrorist. History shows that the categories of "enemy of the people" tend to expand ever deeper into civil life.

7. Target key individuals
Most recently, the administration purged eight US attorneys for what looks like insufficient political loyalty. When Goebbels purged the civil service in April 1933, attorneys were "coordinated" too, a step that eased the way of the increasingly brutal laws to follow.

8. Control the press
Joseph C Wilson accused Bush, in a New York Times op-ed, of leading the country to war on the basis of a false charge that Saddam Hussein had acquired yellowcake uranium in Niger. His wife, Valerie Plame, was outed as a CIA spy - a form of retaliation that ended her career.
Over time in closing societies, real news is supplanted by fake news and false documents. The yellowcake charge, too, was based on forged papers.

9. Dissent equals treason
Cast dissent as "treason" and criticism as "espionage'. Every closing society does this, just as it elaborates laws that increasingly criminalize certain kinds of speech and expand the definition of "spy" and "traitor".
Most Americans do not realize that since September of last year - when Congress wrongly, foolishly, passed the Military Commissions Act of 2006 - the president has the power to call any US citizen an "enemy combatant". He has the power to define what "enemy combatant" means.

10. Suspend the rule of law
The John Warner Defense Authorization Act of 2007 Critics see this as a clear violation of the Posse Comitatus Act

De Facto Fascism Indeed... Your opinion may vary...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
You know the saying....people that would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither. That was how Ben Franklin saw the problem.

Did you know that around 42 to 43 thousand people die in car accidents in the US each year?? That is each and every year.

Well the total deaths on 9/11 was approx 3,000.

Don't get me wrong it was the worst crime of mass murder committed in US history.

But are you ready to give up your rights because of this tragedy??

You are wrong.. The worst massacres in US history is that what the US military perpetrated against the native Americans... Not to mention other native groups around the world.

And if you want to think about it.. The Nuclear bombings of 2 Japanese citys.

1 murder is a tragedy.. thousands are a statistic...

When as a species are we going to figure out that all death is meaningless and its never worth anything to kill anyone?

[edit on 24-8-2008 by wolfmanjack]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join