It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN tells China it didn't mean to cause offence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

BEIJING (Reuters) - U.S. television news network CNN said it did not mean to cause offence when one of its commentators said the Chinese were "goons" and that their products were "junk".

Jack Cafferty made the comments earlier this month on CNN's political program, The Situation Room, prompting an angry demand from China for an apology.

"It was not Mr. Cafferty's nor CNN's intent to cause offence to the Chinese people, and (CNN) would apologize to anyone who has interpreted the comments in this way," CNN said in a statement.

CNN said Cafferty was offering his "strongly held" opinion of the Chinese government, not China's people, adding that he clarified the point on Monday.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu condemned the "evil attack" by CNN on the Chinese people.

www.reuters.com...

Why do anyone care what China thinks. Without our tax dollars they would be nothing. Cafferty was right the first time most of their products are junk.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Good. Its simply not a reporters job to be talking trash about the world in such harsh words.

Let the government handle the abusive part of the dialogue which they do so well.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
My goodness. Tomorrow I foresee the creation of a thread entitled "China Declares War on Cafferty" or "Cafferty Embargoed by China."

I haven't seen this much commotion over so little since the Danish cartoons. I see that he has clarified his comments to mean the Government of China and not the nation itself. Although, by some of the members I have encountered, the two appear inseparable.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
CNN is an offense to journalism on the first place.

If CNN calls itself objective and honest then the pope is their president.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
mountains out of mole hills...

i didn't know anyone even takes notice of what cnn says anymore... Obviously the Chinese don't understand that they make them selves look even more pathetic every time they take notice of these kinds of things.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
(sacarsm)very neccesary (/sacarsm) to open yet another thread about the same topic.

check
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

[edit on 17/4/08 by IchiNiSan]

[edit on 17/4/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Thank you for the endorsement but a there may exist multiple threads on the same topic if one is in the Breaking News section.
And this is more of an outcome to the situation in my opinion. I had a feeling that CNN would apologize but I didn't expect one from Cafferty nor do I really feel that it is necessary since he clarified his comment.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
You can NOT easily describe 1300000000 peoples are totally thug or something. This is so subjective and offense with no doubt.

join