It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge Denies Request To Subpoena Cheney in Arrest Lawsuit!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Judge Denies Request To Subpoena Cheney in Arrest Lawsuit!

www.rawstory.com

A judge denied a request to subpoena Dick Cheney in a lawsuit filed by a man who claims he was wrongfully arrested for comments he made to the vice president about the Iraq war.
Howards claims in his lawsuit that he was arrested and his constitutional rights violated when he happened upon Cheney and his security detail at a mall and took the opportunity to tell him: "Your policies in Iraq are disgusting."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
OMG...Has anyone heard of this?!?

Now, just for speaking negatively to our almighty Dictatorial rulers, Secret service can manhandle, intimidate, and ARREST you! This guy simply told Cheney what the whole world is thinking---He didn't threaten him, or call him names, just criticized his Iraq policy, and LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM!

What have we come to?

Howards claims in his lawsuit that he was arrested and his constitutional rights violated when he happened upon Cheney and his security detail at a mall and took the opportunity to tell him: "Your policies in Iraq are disgusting."

Lane said Shaffer's rulings, including those blocking the release of videotapes that Lane said show the agents accusing each other of lying and trying to cover up what happen, have been very protective of the government.
Howards said he approached Cheney in a crowd in the resort town two hours west of Denver when he saw him shaking hands and posing for photos. He said he made the comment about the Iraq War and then left.

So basically by not kissing Cheney's backside, Howard's now becomes a TARGET for SS to bully and intimidate...

Howards alleges that Secret Service agent Virgil D. "Gus" Reichle Jr. questioned him minutes later, "badgering" him about whether he touched or assaulted Cheney. Howards said Reichle handcuffed him and told him he would be charged with assault.

At the jail, Reichle told Eagle County deputies to issue Howards a summons on a state charge of harassment, according to the lawsuit. The district attorney later dismissed the charge.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Luckily for him Cheney is not a mafia don; the guy wouldn't even be alive today. But the tactics are little short of...

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Well it's obvious the guy was acting like a terrorist. [/sarcasm

Seriously though, the Bill of Rights died in 2001-2002, and it won't be resurrected any time soon-short of a revolution.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I got two things to say -

1) All Americans - if you learn that Mr. Cheney will be in your area - leave and don't return until he is well away from your area.

2) This guy needed to bring this before a Grand Jury - not a Judge. This is the D.A. sabotaging the case by bringing it to the bully instead of the principal.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Or we can all just be herded into our little "Free speech zones" blocks away from our almighty Dictators, where we can whimper quietly and not trouble them with our dissents of their endless grotesqueries against us all.

This has all become so surreal anymore...

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Acts such as this are designed to desensitize the public and condition public opinion. I doubt that it had so much to do with what was actually said than it was an opportunity to further acceptance of a growing trend. The more we see stories like this mentioned in the press, the more we are likely to simply assume that this happens all the time and is justified. Likewise, the increase in taserings at public gatherings ("don't tase me bro") also serves to cause a sense of fear in people against speaking out publicly. The more frequently we see and hear of events like this, the more we hold back in fear of adverse consequences.

I believe we will be seeing a large increase in stories like this. I expect to be hearing the first cases of reporters being treated similarly for asking tough questions and for making statements that are contrary to government agendas very soon. Free speech is under assault to a greater degree than ever before. As the government ramps up it's efforts to consolidate it's position in opposition to the people of the US it is increasingly important to them to create a fear of speaking out.

I am convinced that within a years time, that many of the things we say so easily today will only be said with a sense of fear and trepidation over possible repercussions. Even more so for people who have a wide audience.

Couple of clips here that touch on the subject:

H.R. 1955 p.1 Freedom of Speech, Thought Crime
Scary trend seen here, not to mention the legislation that is making a reality of ending truly free speech. Speech will always be allowed but only if it is "acceptable" speech.

Naomi Wolf Speech at Kane University

[edit on 16-4-2008 by SystemiK]

[edit on 16-4-2008 by SystemiK]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

Sadly, I fear you are correct...There is a gradual de-sensitization taking place...For people not to even be able to voice dissent without fear of arrest anymore is truly stomach turning...And as we can see in the "Homegrown Terrorism Bill" thread---This is only the beginning of them trampling us all into obscurity.

Sad times...

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I remember when this happened. I'm glad this guy is pressing charges. He may not get anywhere, but he is still making a statement.

Here is a thread from back then...

Man charged with Assault for criticizing Cheney

I don't think events like these are meant to condition people to keep them from speaking out. If anything, events like this enrage the public and makes them distrust the government even more. But to an administration that doesn't care what the people think, I would not hold my breath waiting for an apology.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
i REMEMBER THE CASE AND I congratulate him for having the umph to get out there and not just back off.

It is a symbol, if nothing else.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Wait you can actually file a lawsuit against the Vice President? WTH??? Thats not how things work in a police state.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Wait you can actually file a lawsuit against the Vice President? WTH??? Thats not how things work in a police state.

Well you can TRY, but as others have stated, it will likely go nowhere...And getting manhandled and arrested for non-threatening FREE SPEECH "is" the way things work in a police state. lol

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
reply to post by Maxmars

Or we can all just be herded into our little "Free speech zones" blocks away from our almighty Dictators, where we can whimper quietly and not trouble them with our dissents of their endless grotesqueries against us all.

This has all become so surreal anymore...

I agree! I am surprised that Cheney didn't just shoot him in the face.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Assault is just making a verbal threat. You don't have to actually touch someone. I'd like to see a tape of the original incident. No way of knowing if he is telling the truth about his interaction with Cheney. I don't like Cheney either, but not liking him does not mean this person is telling the whole truth.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

Thanks for the link. It sounds like it may be his word against theirs. That would be a terrible position to be in. The court will always side with law enforcement before siding with an alleged criminal.

If he is being honest this is indeed most disturbing. No way of knowing though. He could be a radical lying or he could be an innocent telling the truth. I'd tend to believe him at this point.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Who cares what he is.
The phrase "Your policies in Iraq are disgusting" is not illegal. It is not a threat.

The SS guards who detained him MUST be made an example of.

In order to preserve free speech, we must make every future guard nervous as all hell of detaining people for comments.
Put the fear of prosecution in them... detaining someone for a phrase is illegal, and you will stand trial for it!

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

What about when the lawsuit is taken as a joke and dismissed? what would you call it then?

lip service?

new topics

top topics

join