It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Noah's Ark: Myth or Message?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I was watching a National Geographic special about the Svalbard International Seed Vault, the "Doomsday Vault" as they call it, and it got me thinking about Noah's Ark.

Not to get into religion too much, but I find it a little hard to believe that a man built an ark that housed two of every species on the planet and did so in time to avoid the "Great Flood". Considering there are, on the low end, 3 million and, on the high end, 50 million different species on the planet, that would have to have been one heck of a big ark. Also you would have to consider the genetic problems that would be involved with only two of one species being the catalyst of their entire species (severe inbreeding, anyone?). But, that's for another discussion.

However, it got me thinking about something else. What if the story of Noah's Ark was more of a message than "fact"? Given that our planet's lifespan, our sun's lifespan and even our galaxy's lifespan are finite, what if the story of Noah's Ark was a bit of a warning for us to either find a hospitable planet to live on or even build an "ark" of our own?

What are your thoughts?

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Well this has been batted around before, most of the researchers for these secular magazines and shows will try and discredit the Bible (because the Bible is sooo scary for some reason). They tell you that there is noway that you could get two of every species on a boat, and they're right, it's TWO OF EVERY KIND! I can't say it loud enough! Nobody listens! A kind is different than a species, A kind is a root animal (so to say), a horse will begat dirent species of horses, a dog will begat several species of dogs (chiwawahs and poodles and such) So it is very possible to have every KIND, notice the Bible never says species, it says KIND, KIND, KIND. I hope people realize this.
Sorry, it's just I'm a little frustraited with turning on the tv and some yahoo misquoting the bible and saying it's evidence.

Noah's Ark literal, every culture around the world has a flood story, The Great Flood is the reason why.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I would say, take a look on Mt. Ararat and judge for yourself!

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

What do you mean?
Could you be a little more detailed in what your saying?
Concerning what, what are you trying to say?

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Well some say it's Noah's Ark, while others deny it. Take a look on Google Earth and see for yourself.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

Could you give a link? Maybe some coordenance?

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Ive always thought of the ark as a giant space ship or station. Anyhow i bet the entire world wasnt fllooded im sure some peaks poked out. I mean i dont think there is enough water to completely cover the globe even if all the polar ice caps melted. I do think it is the story of our previous societys destruction. Perhaps the meltwaters of the ice age glaciers in the northern hemisphere raised water levels worldwide. Since all major centers were and still are located near major seaways and channels, something like that could have wiped out a good chunk of society and we would have had to start over.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
This is for all you skeptics;

FLOOD

and this ;

BONES IN STONES

The series, is called the GENESIS CONFLICT, by professor VEITH, a former atheist, and zoologist.

And then there is this from G Edward Griffin;

ARK

I'd love to hear feedback from those who take the time to see these. It's better than the Discovery Channel!

The videos speak for themselves!

[edit on 17-4-2008 by toasted]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
im about halfway through bones in stones, i have to say its quite interesting! It actually verifies alot of my own theories. Thanx for the links.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
For all we know, maybe Noah didn't didn't really physically pair up all them critters.
Maybe he actually brought along DNA samples of all the animals and re-animated them once he got to his destination.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by elderban
However, it got me thinking about something else. What if the story of Noah's Ark was more of a message than "fact"? Given that our planet's lifespan, our sun's lifespan and even our galaxy's lifespan are finite, what if the story of Noah's Ark was a bit of a warning for us to either find a hospitable planet to live on or even build an "ark" of our own?

What are your thoughts?

Holy cow, for some strange reason I thought about Noah's Ark the other night... I was thinking more along the lines of creating one... I mean why not? What would it hurt to build one or 10?

As far as the bible is concerned there are a lot of messages given with symbolism... Given to us this way by God so it's simple for us to understand.. With God anything is possible.. Even if there are only 2 of each species... Also God could make the animals go to the ark as well... On this you just need to have faith...

Now build me that ARK! Act Random Kindness

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
Ive always thought of the ark as a giant space ship or station. Anyhow i bet the entire world wasnt fllooded im sure some peaks poked out. I mean i dont think there is enough water to completely cover the globe even if all the polar ice caps melted. I do think it is the story of our previous societys destruction. Perhaps the meltwaters of the ice age glaciers in the northern hemisphere raised water levels worldwide. Since all major centers were and still are located near major seaways and channels, something like that could have wiped out a good chunk of society and we would have had to start over.

If you have a look at the bible you will see that there was two bodies of water on the earth, one on ground level and one in the sky.

Genesis 1

6 And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water." 7 So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the expanse "sky." And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.

Having this second body of water would account for a few things in the bible. One of those being the flood and there being enough water to fill the earth. There are others, but thats for another thread.

Hope that helps.

-fm

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I don't think it literally flooded the entire globe. The concentration of rain was probably focused more on the area of land inhabited by the semites, and the alignment of celestial bodies for the period of about 40 days probably also helped in pulling most the Earth's water to that area as well.
But then again, there are also stories about a global flood that have been told by non-semetic people from different cultures all over the world,

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
I don't think it literally flooded the entire globe....

Although,You are entitled to your opinion, it doesn't appear that you are willing to change your mind. Due to the fact you obviously didn't bother to clik on the "FLOOD" link. Dr. Veith is quite capable, and very logical in his presentation, which will never be shown on TV as long as our enemy remains in control of the content.

It appears that " metaldemon2000 " is the only one who bothered to take the time. And thanks, metaldemon, for the thumbs up! I hope that his thumbs up will encourage more to take the time.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by toasted

Originally posted by Alxandro
I don't think it literally flooded the entire globe....

Although,You are entitled to your opinion, it doesn't appear that you are willing to change your mind. Due to the fact you obviously didn't bother to clik on the "FLOOD" link. Dr. Veith is quite capable, and very logical in his presentation, which will never be shown on TV as long as our enemy remains in control of the content.

It appears that " metaldemon2000 " is the only one who bothered to take the time. And thanks, metaldemon, for the thumbs up! I hope that his thumbs up will encourage more to take the time.

Well I guess you didn't read my entire post.

...posted by Alxandro

But then again, there are also stories about a global flood that have been told by non-semetic people from different cultures all over the world,

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
No problem i like taking the time to watch well presented videos like that one. The discovery channel is great but i find it can be compared with high school history and geography classes, watered down, uninformed and biasd. It's really too bad that that series doesnt get any airtime but its usually what happens when someone tells the truth and is openly aethiest.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I will probably go back now and watch at least some of the posted videos and if anything changes my mind.....well I will post it.
As I see it, that area did in fact flood and wiped out alot of people around there. So Noah's story has some historic truth to it...but as far as the rest of the world....sorry it defies logic and common sense. So story true, and the parable is good, but people have taken it literaly too far.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The flood was really meant to change the atmosphere. The planet wasn't covered by ice in its early days. The planet was more like Venus before its transformation.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by lostinspace]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by toasted

Originally posted by toasted
This is for all you skeptics;

FLOOD

and this ;

BONES IN STONES

The series, is called the GENESIS CONFLICT, by professor VEITH, a former atheist, and zoologist.

I watched both videos. I would like to see the entire series. Professor Veith states that evolution is a theory based on the interpretation of geological evidence. Science refuses to acknowledge that there could be a Supreme Being that orchestrated creation. Evolution is their explanation of geological evidence. Unfortunately, among scientist, there is no overall uniting belief of how evolution works. It just depends on which group of scientist you wish to believe.

Do you have a link to the entire series?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join