It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family's Sole Surviving Son Denied G.I. Benefits!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Family's Sole Surviving Son Denied G.I. Benefits!

cbs13.com

FRESNO (AP) ― Forced to leave the combat zone after his two brothers died in the Iraq war, Army Spc. Jason Hubbard faced another battle once he returned home: The military cut off his family's health care, stopped his G.I. educational subsidies and wanted him to repay his sign-up bonus.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
What an absolute joke...How infuriating and sickening at the same time...All these guys enlist, and all but one brother is killed in this sickening occupation. Then the pentagon DENIES him benefits when he has to return home as the sole survivor!

Yet more shafting of the soldiers by these scum-bags...

I will NEVER let any of my kids serve in these dirt-bags special interest profiteering wars-EVER.

Now that Congressman, Rep. Devin Nunes, plans to join three other lawmakers in introducing a bill that would ensure basic benefits to all soldiers who are discharged under the sole survivor policy. The rule is a holdover from World War II meant to protect the rights of service people who have lost a family member to war.

"I felt as if in some ways I was being punished for leaving even though it was under these difficult circumstances," Hubbard told The Associated Press. "The situation that happened to me is not a one-time thing. It's going to happen to other people, and to have a law in place is going to ease their tragedy in some way."

cbs13.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This is absolutely disgusting. What sick Son of a B thought this was a good idea? His siblings are dead, so they sent him home--rightly, I think (the only thing they DID get right)--and because he's no longer eligible to serve in combat he gets completely cut off? AND they want the money they've already given him BACK?!?!?
It's dumbfounding how screwed-up the military has become. To literally punish a young man who served his country honorably due to circumstances beyond his control is beyond reprehensible. The person or persons behind this need to get their butts fired, their pensions taken away, lose their health care, and have to pay back, oh, say, at least half their salaries for the past five years--if not all of their salaries. And if they can't pay, well, strap some body armor on 'em, put a gun in their hands and send them directly to the worst, most dangerous part of Iraq.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This is the result of some pathetic bureaucrats idea of 'proper process'. Their mentality pervades the administration of military matters quite frequently. For example - I had a young lady serve with me (I was her supervisor). She had been raised by a single mother and - most notably - her next door neighbor who - although unrelated - loved her like a daughter and became a crucial member in her life - through years of difficulties they stood as a 'defacto' family in support of each other.

When news of her neighbors death came she was understandably distraught and deeply hurt. The command would not 'authorize' her bereavement leave because she wasn't related to the deceased, and she had no 'regular' leave time to use as she was a recent recruit. We fought and fought but to no avail, because the 'book' says you have to be related. The nerve.

Don't worry - happy endings all around - many in our unit all pitched in 'leave time' for her and she was able to grieve with her mother through it all.

Of course, this kind of thing only befalls enlisted - officers are special and get treated QUITE differently.

[edit on 16-4-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
this is humrous, so thats how the US treats it people these days?

on topic
so how much money do they get bonus and what is the sceme

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Funny how people against this war are more supportive of OUR troops than the Government that engages them in this never-meant-to-end conflict.

new topics

join