It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extra help for black pupils urged

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Well, at least this gets rid of the competition who have become weaklings

All kidding aside though: Im especially upset about the crackdown on competitive sports.

But even though its apparently getting worse: The school system has always been flawed because...

...because the budget invested into it is way too low (one of the reasons).

Imagine all that money pumped into iraq...

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Give one race an exemption because they are performing poorly? Forget it.

All races will receive equal treatment. No exceptions. You get left behind, it's your own fault.

Giving one race extra attention because of poor performance is only telling that race that they are weaker than the rest and need to have everything done for them.

No pity, no exceptions. We aim for equality, and thats exactly what we're going to give. If you fail under equal circumstances... too bad.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I like that theory, and I agree at how damaged our school systems are.

Oh, and yea, 12 billion a month could be taken from Iraq and pumped into American schools and impoverished areas.

Nah... that's too benevolent for America these days.

[edit on 16-4-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
African culture is traditionally highly creative with their colourful clothes, art, craft, music and dancing e.c.t. General lifestyle in Europe has always been less creative in these ways than in Africa, but then Europe has brought science to the world through logical/linear thought. The left side of the brain might be more advanced in whites and the right part more advanced in blacks, genetic programming through the ages, so to speak. I'm not saying this is what I believe, although it's a possibility, I just don't think anyone knows why for absolute sure.

One other thing, SkyFloating mentioned that school is just years of memorising, it's so true. Imagine if in school we were actually taught 'how' to learn, taught how to remember better and taught how to think outside the box, imagine having actual classes on lateral thought!! After a couple of generations of that kind of learning you'd no longer hear the phrase ''a person is clever, people are stupid''. I doubt any government would want clever people on their hands though.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Wow, so white people are racist because they are smart? Ok, all you white people need to stop being so damned smart all the time, it's so racist of you. And those Indians, what a bunch of racist jerks, how dare they do well on a math test. That article is the modern racism that exists today.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I think the idea that black people cannot learn in the same fashion as all other races is simply rediculous. I have black friends that were in the same classes as me, a white man, that did just as well and some better than I did. It all comes down to self discipline and the desire to achieve.

We can sit around all day and debate on the flaws and failures of the school system, but when it comes down to it, you have to stop and see that there are lots of kids doing well in the system. Does that mean there should not be channges and flaws addressed? No, this just means that it is possible to do well in the system that is in currently.

To think you have to change the system for a black kid to do well is a slap in the face of a black kid that is doing well. Thats just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
maybe whites and Asians or just genetically smarter than blacks.. blacks are genetically better athletes than asians and whites.... although whites are better swimmers...so i think it could just come down to muscles v brains...

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aaron_Justin
To think you have to change the system for a black kid to do well is a slap in the face of a black kid that is doing well. Thats just my opinion.

Top marks my good man, top marks for that comment.

Ive always had this opinion of affirmative action. It denigrates those from ethnic backgrounds who are actually capable enough to succeed without the stepladder of quotas.

If anything, affirmative action gives ammunition to racists who can then say "Oh look at those indians and chinese doing so well in life... must be because they are pandered to by affirmative action".

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
It's a cultural problem - I know black kids that get good grades get a lot of flak for "acting white." There is a widespread belief among poor blacks that the system is tilted against them, and that if you succeed in the system, then you are somehow betraying your race.

Which comes from leaders like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, who make their living from promoting victimhood to the blacks. Maybe If blacks started looking towards senators, Supreme Court justices and cabinet members as role models instead of Jackson, Sharpton, gangsta rappers and some of the worst sports stars, well then we'd see a huge change - IMO.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Corum

Yea, don't forget African Fractals and other forms of "Linear Thought" most are unaware of.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Yea, because blacks haven't been victimized. And who would EVER look towards senators for role models. The dirtiest of the dirty.

Thanks, but no thanks, on that advice. I think maybe you should just let blacks do what they want.

*edited to add:

And how can you add cultural idioms on Jesse Jackson? lol?

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
reply to post by Skyfloating

I like that theory, and I agree at how damaged our school systems are.

Oh, and yea, 12 billion a month could be taken from Iraq and pumped into American schools and impoverished areas.

Nah... that's too benevolent for America these days.

Sorry, but just giving money to schools does not solve any problems without also reforming the schools. Look at some of the SF Bay Area schools, for example. What were once solvent school districts brought in black administrators, who promptly hired administrative assistants to really do their jobs. Then they came up with "wonderful" programs such as "ebonics", which was an attempt to call black slang an official language. By the time these administrators left or were booted out, the once solvent districts were bankrupt. All this in a large state with a huge lottery that was supposed to fund the schools.

No, as we've discovered with most social programs (entitlements), just throwing money at the problem is naive and ends up solving little, if anything.

Some groups like to complain about military spending. But if you compare the military portion of the U.S. budget to HHS (Health and Human Services (entitlements), you'll find that we are already spending way more for entitlements than the military, but have little to show for it, even after decades of effort and trillions of dollars spent.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Its very funny that nobody noticed in the bbc report they also stated " But some are narrowing the gap - the girls from black African backgrounds did better than white boys: 56.1% getting five good GCSEs compared with 52.6%" (copy and paste from initial link)
, being of mixed origins Irish/Caribbean I totally understand its not just black people that get the bad end of the stick generally all races are discriminated against by whites, I myself have met many whites whom have never stumbled upon my presence before but they feel it is there job to belittle me, its almost robotic/brainwashed and most in this state will not have any black+ freinds because of the mental barrier that has been created but when this has been broken we all realise we are same and there is nothing to fear, makes me sick

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Hmm, right throwing away money at schools. That's a great perspective on life you have. Something tells me you think No Child Left Behind is a good bill also.

But anyway, yeah, money fixes a lot of things. Don't kid yourself. Money would bring in, not only more, but better teachers. The schools would have better technology. Schools wouldn't have to shut down arts programs, in lieu of sports programs.

But your right, what's money to schools. Teachers don't care about money. They like driving $3,000 cars as they get paid $34,000 a year in their 10th year after going to school for 4 years.

Good call!

*Edited:

And so much better to have spent that money over seas in a country that doesn't even want us there to begin with.

**Edited again:

Where taxes go

Simply not true. Military and Human Resources have been close on percent of spending. Military spending usually edges it out, however.

And I dare you to prove that the money spent has yielded no results. Pull half of that money and see what happens.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
OP,

Talk is cheap. If you really want to know why the data is what it is, go and be a Big Brother/Big Sister to one of the failing students.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620

Simply not true. Military and Human Resources have been close on percent of spending. Military spending usually edges it out, however.

Well, you're not mentioning "black budgets". Military and Human Resource spending is not even in the same league. On 9-10-2001 Rumsfeld announced that the Pentagon couldn't account for $ 2.3 trillion. We all know what happened on the next day. The missing money issue never came up again ...

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
What was the name of the well-respected scientist who ruined his career by saying black people score lower on average on IQ tests than white people?

He wasn't judging black people (therefore, he was not racist), he was just making the observation that after 30 years of testing, the results showed that that was the case.

Obviously the world recoiled in horror because he used the word "black" in a context that could be construed as negative, but what he said was a fact.

The races are not all equal. This is a fact. Africans are more prone to heart conditions, chinese are lactose intolerant. Whites tend to have higher instances of bowel cancer. These are facts. They are not judgements. Ergo, this is not a racist post.

So if I say "judging on the evidence, black people are less intellectually capable than white or asian people" I am being 100% correct, fair and just, if that is what test results show.

We go into scientific testing on the assumption that everyone starts from an equal level in all respects. This is becoming more and more obviously not the case.

Look at the olympic games. What percentage of sprinters are black? Far more than white, from what I see.

Is that a problem? Well, if the situation were reversed, I think it would be.

However, evolution has dictated that as a race, they will be naturally more athletic than us dumpy white people. Why? because there are a large number now still living in tribal villages. An obviously obsurd thing for a westerner to think, but this means the outside pressures on their lives from their environment has favoured tall, fit and healthy peoples. People with effective running physiques. This leads naturally on to heart problems (my grandfather was a black man from St. Helena, and my father was an athletic man all his life, cycling 3+ miles to work each day. It has given him an enlarged heart among other problems) later in life, and extra pressure on the cardiovascular system.

So why are white people more education-ready or capable than black people? Because we live in a society where physical fitness is not key to our survival. This has lead to intellectual development, because of the race to have the highest technology that has plagued europe and asia for the last few thousand years.

Physical fitness has taken a back seat to centuries of schooling, higher education and a thirst for mental prowess. This will naturally breed a higher level of mental capability, just like centuries of hunting and leading a life where danger is the norm will breed a race that is more athletically inclined.

I have not posted this to offend. This is just life. This is the world we live in and we can see why it is how it is. Is it anybody's fault? No. Does it mean we should judge people differently because of their racial origins? No. Does it mean that all persons of a race follow the same pattern? No.

But it does mean we should not just stick our collective heads in the sand when the matter of the differences between the races arises. There are physical differences! It's no-one's fault, no-one needs to take or place blame, it's just the way life is!

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by C.C.Benjamin

It was James Watson who was heavily criticized for his views on race.

After all what does he know about genetics, all he ever did was discover DNA...

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
reply to post by C.C.Benjamin

It was James Watson who was heavily criticized for his views on race.

After all what does he know about genetics, all he ever did was discover DNA...

Nice one! I'm not one for names, I'm more one for events!

And I personally thought the reaction from the scientific community was disgusting. True, he was telling everyone something that they didn't want to hear, but ultimately science is a search for the truth.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Me in a nutshell: 40yo "coloured" man living in South Africa.

I say treat everyone the same. As soon as you start looking at people differently, i.e. noticing that certain kids who are darker than the rest are not doing as well as the lighter ones, then you are gonna have problems. Let kids be kids and noone will notice that a much smaller % of the darker kids are doing well than the lighter kids. There won't be a problem and there will be no need to implement any kind of "affirmative action".

This might have little to do with the topic, but I would like to say something about quotas in sport, especially my favourite sport, cricket, which few Americans know about

1. A talented individual of "colour" will be under extra stresses because he was selected because of his colour not his talent. Never mind the fact that he is brilliant at his sport.

2. You will NOT be putting the best team on the field, which means the supporters will feel cheated.

3. Will you feel welcome in the dressing room if you're there because of your colour? Especially those who selected ahead of white players who are doing better than them. I wouldn't.

4. Whenever the team underperforms the first thing that will be looked at is whether the right balance of colour was used.

As it is in sport, so it is in life, someone once said, I think.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join