It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nickelodeon Wants Your Kids.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Nickelodeon has contacted Gun Owners of America and offered a opportunity to get out the pro-gun message to young people.

They want some teenagers (between 11-15 years of age) to appear on the May 13 taping of Nick News which will run later that month. Specifically, they would like to interview kids from all over the nation:

Who can talk about the right to keep and bear arms, or
Who have seen an example of armed self-defense in their home.

They need about ten kids. In some cases, Nickelodeon will fly a team out to your home to film your kids taking target practice, answering questions, etc. In some cases, they will fly your child (along with one parent) for an all-expenses paid trip to New York on May 12, for the taping which will occur the following day.

No doubt, they will probably have kids who tout the anti-gun position. But if you think you have a well-spoken teen who can handle this challenge, please contact Gun Owners of America at [email protected] or at 703-321-8585

www.gunowners.org...

[edit on 16-4-2008 by Master_Wii]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I dont know what to make of this. I think Nick is making a grave error in promoting guns to children or teenagers. Then again its a free trip to NY.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Good! common sense is a rare thing....I am amazed and impressed. Get kids into guns early, take them hunting, teach them right from wrong, feed them good food, love them without conditions, be a parent and not a buddy. But teach them how too defend themselves.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Nonononononono NO!

Oh my god, are they serious? Teach kids that guns are good?

What does Nickalodeon even mean? # kids up and make them gun toting violent criminals-vision?

Man.... whoever said that it is good to teach kids about why guns are important is really really confused about his priorities. I'm sorry, but guns need to be shot into the center of the sun forever.

I have my very solid reasons why, even if we are unable to defend ourselves, it is very important not to use that kind of violence.

What if someone came and raped and murdered everyone I know because I didn't have a gun to shoot them? I have my good reasons not to be ultra pessimistic like that.

If anything, teach kids about caring for their fellow man and psychology and sociology and philosophy... not cold logic, conformity, and material gain. Why do you think kids are such brats today? Because we make them that way! We've gotta be more responsible with kids, because they have no idea how or why they've ended up on this strange planet, and it's up to us to tell them what is important, which we're not doing at all.

TXMACHINEGUN, to you I say IRRESPONSIBLE!

I'm not saying teach kids to fear guns. I'm saying teach kids not to tolerate violence, within themselves or within their communities. With that comes so much more. It's not just important to say guns and violence is bad and you are bad for doing it. You've gotta teach philosophy, as early as possible. You've gotta teach kids to think deeply about their actions before doing them.

To all those that say "Oh easy for you to say. You don't have kids. You don't know what it's like blah blah blah this and that because I'm bitter..."

Yeah, well... I didn't have unprotected sex and get a girl pregnant when I wasn't fully prepared either. I don't want kids because I already think the kids being brought into this world are doomed, and these people and their illusions about love and starting a family.... I mean, jesus.... before we all chain ourselves to one person for the rest of our lives and chain ourselves even further to one or two or three more mouths to feed in addition to our own and our ball and chain, let's figure out what love and compassion really are. Let's get our spiritual house in order. Let's get our physical houses in order. We're doing a disservice to innocent souls by continuing to propagate like everything is okay.

As for Nickalodeon... great stuff back in the mid nineties... but now it's just garbage. What happened to Ren and Stimpy and Pete and Pete and Rocko's Modern Life? I mean... those were great shows with great thought behind them, and I've always felt enriched by having experienced their genius.... but now, it's a bunch of flashy teen materialistic garbage... and now teaching kids how to operate guns so they can fight and die in our future wars.... but fighting and dying responsibly. At least we can rest assured knowing that little Timmy's head was blown clean off responsibly in the line of responsible patriotic all American duty for his corrupt and drug addicted leader('s)( chess game).

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
columbine ftw.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Good riddance. Kids also need to hear things other than guns are evil. They should be shown that when properly used guns can be quite safe and actually may save your life.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by NuclearHead]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by indierockalien
Teach kids that guns are good?

Absolutely. As a hammer is good for the driving of nail and the shovel for digging of soil, so too a gun, a tool, is good for the protection of freedom and liberty. The medium I would have to question, however, growing up with Nickelodeon myself I know that I would not have understood the principle behind such a lesson without further guidance or explanation.

What does Nickalodeon even mean? &%!% kids up and make them gun toting violent criminals-vision?

I hope that you are not implying that all who carry firearms are "gun-toting violent criminals." They may have that potential to become criminals, but they have the potential to be heroes as well. The more of my countrymen that are trained to carry and operate a firearm and even armed with one, the safer I feel, actually, and my only regret is not being armed myself while making them less safe. I still agree with you that Nickelodeon may not be the best way to advertise firearms to children. At least, not with some of the programming on that channel which can drive anyone to kill. One morning my neighbor might wake up to find an extra television in his living room as I throw mine out of the window.

I'm sorry, but guns need to be shot into the center of the sun forever.

Oh, yeah and create another [color=786cd2]Nuclearman? You're on your own there, Superman.

and now teaching kids how to operate guns so they can fight and die in our future wars...

Foresight is great for making responsible decisions, but horrible when it comes to predicting the future. And I would not look to a son who is being trained by his father to shoot firearms and say to myself, "Someday that kid is going to rob me," or "Someday that kid is going to die thinking he was protecting my freedom." Wars have been fought since man first beat to death with a branch, a rock, or bone another man and wars will be fought as long as there is a bit of resource to conflict over.

If you have the capacity to love, you will always have the capacity to hate: strength comes not from rejecting the one while embracing the other but maintaining an equilibrium between the two and understanding what causes these emotions and when and how properly to employ them. Just as the hate that you have employed towards war, firearms and the idea of teaching children to use them instead of philosophy to settle differences and consider the consequences of actions. Let not hate be foreign to you lest you be ill-prepared for its effect.

At least we can rest assured knowing that little Timmy's head was blown clean off responsibly in the line of responsible patriotic all American duty for his corrupt and drug addicted leader('s)( chess game).

And this is what the right to bear arms comes down to: if the government no longer represents the will of the people, the people have the power to change, with force if necessary, the government and put in place one that does represent them. That would take one hell of a movement that I expect would be more capable and knowledgeable and just than a group of "gun toting violent criminals." It is important that children are taught the history of our nation, the principles upon which it was founded and the necessity and sacrifice required to protect it; otherwise, they will consider the condition upon which they are born, whether it is under freedom or oppression, to be natural as the history of a once great nation is rewritten without resistance and thereafter remain without remembrance.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexi Humi

Spot on.

I may not be a warmonger, a criminal, someone who likes violence, and such...but, guess what, some do. There is always going to be an incident where it's going to come down to weaponry, no offense, but the remarks by you, indierockalien, are very very ill-thought. It's a nice idea, but there's no cigar. Please do not get me wrong, I really do wish that your idea was enough, but unfortunately that's not how things work in the 21st century.

The least we can do in this day in age, is to teach children how to use them appropriately in a time when it is APPROPRIATE. Key words, key terms, not to run around shooting them up at school, not running around the house with them, and not using them on drug junkies.

For the record, I am pro-gun, and I don't have any problems admitting of the topic there-of. I find it rather...um...odd (is the best I can describe), that Nickelodean of all companies is the one to deliver this, but...I can't argue with it. Imagine:

"We'll return to Toonami in just a moment, after this message from the Gun Owners of America."

It'd make Toonami watchable again.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Guns are ALREADY promoted towards young people.
I'm sure most of you have seen movies, played video games.
A plethora of weapons!
The problem with THAT form of promotion, is that it's not based on any form of realism.
If Nick comes through, I applaud them for it.

Telling a kid something is bad, or evil only promotes interest and curiosity.
They still learn about the subject, but it's done secretively. Not a good classroom. I'd prefer the learning process was not taken underground.

I was 8 when I received my first gun..A .410 shotgun.
And 9, when I received my first rifle, a 30-30 Winchester.
Never fired a shot, until I passed my Gun Safety classes.

I learned to respect the weapon, to differentiate it from a toy.

In the Fall, our High school parking lot was FULL of guns.
Thats right, guns at school. Safely packed away in their cases, unloaded.
Deer Season!

new topics

top topics

join