It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids Book on Plastic Surgery!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Kids Book on Plastic Surgery!

www.newsweek.com

What's the market for a children's picture book about moms getting cosmetic surgery? No one specifically tracks the number of tummy-tuck-and-breast-implant combos (or "mommy makeovers," as they're called), but according to the latest numbers from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, breast augmentation was the most popular cosmetic surgery procedure last year, with 348,000 performed (up 6 percent over 2006). Of those, about one-third were for women over 40 who often opt for implants to restore lost volume in their breasts due to aging or pregnancy weight gain. There were 148,000 tummy tucks—up 1 percent from the previous year.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
LMAO...

Just when I think I've heard it all...

See mommy's new nose and double D's? haha

I have an idea...Why doesn't somebody come out with a book explaining to kids why we can't afford to drive across town or go out to dinner anymore...lol.

But I digress...

Discuss---Is this a good or bad thing? Personally, I'm not too hip on teahing kids that going under the scalpel to constantly change ones appearence is the norm...It almost seems like pre-conditioning, and putting too much emphasis on perfection...

Salzhauer got the idea for a book after noticing that women were coming into his office with their kids in tow. He says that mysterious doctor's visits can be frightening for children. "Parents generally tend to go into this denial thing. They just try to ignore the kids' questions completely." But, he adds, children "fill in the blanks in their imagination" and then feel worse when they see "mommy with bandages," he says. "With the tummy tucks, [the mothers] can't lift anything. They're in bed. The kids have questions."

www.newsweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I think its just sick, i wonder how many in hollywood do that stuff.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
And then they wonder why 15 year old girls want plastic surgery. And are getting it. Something is seriously wrong with our values. Conform, conform, conform, until everyone looks like a mannequin.

[edit on 4/16/08 by kattraxx]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I think it's pretty disgusting that plastic surgery has now become a mark of social status. Ironically in the run long it means poor people are going to age better than rich ones. Sixty year old women with skin pulled tight like gladwrap look ridiculous.

edit. except for Cher. It suits her for some reason..

[edit on 16-4-2008 by riley]

top topics

join