It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you sell your soul to the Devil

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I agree with AD...."The only Real hell is the one you created for yourself, in your own mind."

You can create your own damnation, without any so called 'devil' intervention. We all have free will. Whatever path taken 'You' will determine your own fate.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by beezwaxes

Actually I think I praticed christianity very much like you, I just prayed a lot, but more in having a conversation with God than doing the regular down on the knee praying. I did not choose to go to church either.

The awakening for me in to atheism was a very horrible experience, believe me it was not by my own conscious choice. But once one sees the whole light of the situation and embraces atheism even when one did not choose too consciously, there is no going back.

Being a christian was a lot easier for me than being an atheist. It was so much easier believing my Sugar Daddy had my back.

I am still the same person, I still have the same moral ethics that I did before. I still seek to be kind to everyone that is kind ot me and I still seek to do good for others when I can. My chrisitan beliefs are the only thing that changed. Whether, sinner, chrisitan or atheist, at the core I am still the same person I always have been.

Thanks for the laugh about the devil not buying what he already owns. LOL
BTW I am an atheist married to a christian, (there's a conundrum) he told me if I died first he would see to it that I have a chrisitan service in the hopes that might help the Good Lord forgive me, mostly though we just don't discuss religion too much, thank goodness we both agree on politics most of the time. LOL

[edit on 18-4-2008 by goose]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by goose

Glad you got a good chuckle. I don't like to try to change peoples beliefs and really don't like to talk about religion but if you don't mind, how did you get forced into atheism? If you don't want to say, -that's cool.
I can't believe I let myself get into a discussion on this subject but, you were reasonable to talk to about it so, I got off easy. People usually get wound up and start spewing.
As for as you not changing as a person when becoming an atheist, A long time ago there was a Wiccan on here who I thought just made all kinds of sense in the advice she would give people. I related that and that I was a Christan and she told me something simple yet profound -"There are many paths up the mountain". I'm certain a lot of people disagree with that but, I think it's so.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by beezwaxes

It was the darndest thing, I went to bed doing my usual prayer about what was going on in my life, you know those selfish little prayers we all do. And when I got up the next morning I was a total atheist. It was like going to bed all warm and snug and then someone dumped 10 gallons of ice water on you while you were sound asleep and jerked you wide awake.

Most of the time when I come to a life changing decision it is made through thinking a lot about it, weighing the pros and the cons, thinking, thinking, then slowly acting.

But not this, I have in the past solved problems while sleeping apparently I think through things in my sleep, letting go of many of the equations that play a part in the problem during the conscious thinking process, but when asleep nothing crowds into the problem such as any pre-conditioned thought or ideas, just logic, I can coldly weed out even what my parents, preachers and teachers told me if it is does not stand up to logic.

So you can imagine how I felt that morning, getting my coffee and starting to pray about something that had been bothering me and being literally stopped in tracks, by what I now saw as the truth and I was not happy about it either. I took comfort in the idea that one day I would again see my brother and father, that they were with God. I took comfort in the idea that someone was listening and loved me, that someone actually watched over me and all of my loved ones.

This atheism for me has been painful, it is not what I consciously chose, but once that door has been open and you have walked thorugh it, there is no going back. You see the emperor as the stark naked fake being you never saw before and no matter how much you want to sew him some silk garments and dress him back up it just can't be done.

So you see, like you I am not out to really change anyone's religion, though in all honesty I definitely see the danger and the cost of religion if it taken too far and I appreciate just as much as ever that we must keep religion and state separate, not because I am an atheist, but to protects everyones right to choose freely about religion and to practice it. This is the same belief and for the same reasons that I believed this as a christian.

To protect one rights to choose to believe what one chooses to believe. What religion would one think is proper to teach in school? If one believes that they should teach religion in school, in most classrooms, I am betting you would find at least 10 totally different religions, so should they teach each of the ten for three days and pray and worship according to that religion? Each set of parents would be up in arms. If you only taught one then the other sets of parents would be up in arms, there is really no pleasing everyone on religion.

I believe they should teach education which have nothing to do with religion and leave the teaching of religion to the families and the churches. So no I am not against religion for I see the value and the need for many to believe just to get through the day, (it takes a lot more strength to face the day alone), heck I wish I could believe again. LOL

So, no I don't want to argue with anyone on religion, I just want everyone to learn to respect one anothers choices on this and consider religion a personal thing and try and practice it without bringing pain to anyone. I want people to realize that our government and the church are two totally differnet entities so to speak and should remain apart for either to be safe.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by goose

Thanks, I get little flashes of that myself.
I guess I've come to the point where I think free will means really free. Not free without consequence but, a lot more free in the lords eyes than a lot of people would have one think. Put another way, we're out of the playpen.

If we're here to mature, making and fixing one's own mistakes is one of the best ways I've seen. God playing an active role or, having a supernatural security blanket would seem to counter that.

Goose, I have no personal experience with this but someone who I have total trust in does and you just might see your father and brother again.
Nice talking to ya BW

-OH, and to keep on the subject, I still wouldn't sell my soul to the devil.
We've been through a lot together and, I don't think he'd take very good care of it! lol

[edit on 4/19/2008 by beezwaxes]

[edit on 4/19/2008 by beezwaxes]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainStar

I've thought about something like that.. Although I believe it differs a lot from what you mean.

Such as whatever you believe the afterlife will be like, it will be for you. Or something like that

-Will

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I don't have much to give to the world. If our thoughts precede us, and feign sometimes to protray what 'is'....and...if my thoughts could be equated to being unto my soul...

Then I claim my soul unto me...and the soul-called deity that has been prevelant, since the day that I was born.

I don't have much to offer this world - that is 'my perspective', and any necessary giving that may entail. When it stops fighing with itself....even when it doesn't....I'll be there...to offer my best

~Ducky~

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Would I sell my 'soul' to the devil?

NO...

The Devil doesn't own me. Never did. He tries from time to time to...I refuse... Mabey that's why he keeps on trying. I tell him to bugger off.

~Ducky~

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
One cannot sell their soul, it does not belong to them, in fact there is no one to own it. The devil does not want your soul, for that would be the overwhelming power of love amidst a non existent entity.

Hate and greed and ignorance only exist within the unenlightened mind and are not substantial or real.

Simply however, we can choose to follow more of wholesomeness or more of unwholesomeness, although they are perceived simultaneously.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Heck I am gonna go into the market buying athiest's souls. Why not? They don't believe they have them and I think that it is a commodity that is able to be traded. So Athiests listen up Wukky will buy your soul for a fraction of what they are worth to you!

Yes indeed sell that unwanted soul for cash right here

(wonder what would happen if that worked, when I died would I have a
ton of souls hanging arround me? Could I barter them off for entrance into heaven?

Ah blasphemy at it's finest

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Heck I am gonna go into the market buying athiest's souls. Why not?

You cannot market...what you don't own.

~Ducky~

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
[edit on 20/4/2008 by Nyorai]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoSpace

yes i would right now,

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>