It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vitamin pills 'increase risk of early death'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I have heard this medical argument regarding vit e years ago. Now it's a,d,c and soforth. Data seems to contraindacate benefits. With the current nwo mentallity, just what to believe?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Exactly. That is why I suspect that the confusion is quite intentional. You also heard before that certain Vitamins in high doses can cause cancer. Their source of data is usually incomplete.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
My Dad was a vitamin fanatic. He took loads of C, B and E plus a good amount of A. He also loaded up on Zinc.

He died a month short of 89, and walked to town for breakfast almost every day up to a week or so before his death.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by frayed1

Are you suggesting that the vitamins killed him? Or are you trying to illustrate ho they don't make you invincible?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Well, nowadays, if you reach the age of 89, isn't it something? A lot of people are dying of diseases even in their early age. I know someone who died of stroke at the age of 38. And another someone who died of heart attack at the age of 47. A young boy aged 7 from my neighborhood died of diabetes.

These people have different ways to live their lives. Smokers, heavy drinkers even substance abuse.

There was also a known smoker that reached the age of more than 100. If I can remember it right, 106. Think about that.

[edit on 19-4-2008 by searching_for_truth]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
You must understand that healthy eating, vitamins, etc. is not the end all, be all. But, I think these things can be very beneficial in promoting a healthier life.

You see, there are people who live to ripe old ages and do things like smoke and drink.

I think some people are just "spiritually tough," and the body lives on in spite of inperfections in lifestyle.

I'm not saying, however, that being a stinking drunk every day is a healthy thing.

But, I am saying that life is better enjoyed. If having a cold beer or two with dinner is something you love, then maybe that is ok. It's more than just constantly standing around worrying about every single thing you put in your body.

As far as food, I would worry more about the pesticides, preservatives, and additives that end up in our food, than I would about having desert with your meal.

I can say that mega dosing does seem to have a postive affect on my body. I don't ever remember a simple multi-vitamin ever having this affect on me. I think you may need to go beyond a One A Day type multi for optimum health.

I also think that things like fat have gotten undeserved and excessive "bad press." We have, in some cases, been moving away from "real" food and it is being replaced with artificial, and/or modified low fat and diet food. Is this really helping us health wise?

Troy

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
To me, the biggest issue here is that there is actually a move to outlaw / regulate vitamins, when the fast food industry is given a free pass and allowed to market to children. When obesity is a national epidemic, why are we choosing to go after vitamins of all things?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I now begin to wonder if the salad poisonings last summer were planned.

Are they spiking the salads with EColi trying to get irradiation steamrollered through?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
We have floating robotic burger king now. Giving us breakfast burritos on a silver plate. Tap of the finger and hot jo in a cup. I just saw the insane amount of calories in mcys and kings chicken samiches. I've gone veggie and bean and down to 190 cruusing wght. I was up to 250 at one time. Then I watched a pbs special on corn. 2 hrs. It was very illuminating. Stay away from corn hydrogenated sweetened anything. That means soda too.
Diabetes and high blood pressure and dialysis will find you where you sit.
If not careful and smart.

[edit on 4/20/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
sounds like complete bs to me. Although everyones posts are as highly conspiratorially congruent as these forums incline them to be. . . i don't think you guys are far off.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I wish I could provide a link to the pbs 2 hr corn special I just watched tonight, yesterday, this morning whatever. It was a trip. Two 20 somethings rented equip and an acre for corn growing in Illonois. A mind bender. Lost money. But gov redux makes it profitable. A must see.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

It looks like it is called "King Corn". I wasn't able to find it on google videos though.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Yes sir. 'King Corn'. Exactly what it was. Sad to see decades old farmers saying they wouldn't lay a tooth on the crap they raised. Monsanto wins again.
Don't even get me started on the corn fed beef. I think I shall not eat meat again. Grass grazed heifers are healthier but takes up to three years to take to market. Entrapped bloody awful cowfarms feed corn exclusively, have to give low dose antibiotics to keep from acidosis, and cull within a year, before they die from digestive issues. The cow on premises with the stomach window really bummed me out. Bigtime.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

So they are saying that all corn is bad? Has it always been that way or is this a new change? I realize that all corn dirivitves seem to be bad, so it makes sense, but corn on the cob just feels right....

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
The gist as I gathered was the national trend towards obesity and diabetes.
Corn sugared anything (I know there is a more tech name for it that escapes me) bad.
Please watch the reel. These cats sat on their pickup munching a couple cobs and saying it tasted like paste. And spit it out. No one loves a golden sweet corn with a little butter like me

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Hi there,

I think this article relates to multi vitamins a-z

Although some may lack a few of the vitamins the extra vitamins you don't need get absorbed and stored in the body for later use.

However, if you keep taking vitamins that your body has been saturated with it then needs to get rid of the excess.

This puts stress and strain on your body and literally can wear out the body’s ability to get rid of toxins in the blood.

This is the main reason multi vits are bad for you.

The only way to be truly healthy is by accurately measuring your bodies needs and then fulfilling them. At present we don't have the ability to do this on a mass scale.

But.... Eventually portable blood analysers will be cheap and easy to use. It will be easy to see what you should and shouldn’t put into your body at that point.

Don't be so doom and gloom, the future is very exciting. We are among the first people to ever have existed that may be able to extend their life spans by a huge magnitude.

Role on the future.

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by frayed1

Are you suggesting that the vitamins killed him? Or are you trying to illustrate ho they don't make you invincible?

Really Karl, you couldn't see that I was saying he DID NOT die an 'early death'????

AND that he was hale and hearty for NEARLY 90 years?????

Perhaps I need to add......
He walked to town and back nearly every day ( about a quarter mile round trip) ......never had any knee problems or foot problems. He attributed his quick recovery from a broken hip ( 20 years before his death) to Vitamin E.

He recommended the same to any of his elderly friends and relatives who had broken bones.....and had collected several 'testimonials', if you will, from the ones that had taken his advice.

One was a relative who had been told her broken leg was not healing and would, before much longer, require amputation......he talked her into taking E and rubbing it on the skin over the break. Her bone began to knit ( heal , that is...not make a sweater...
) and she did not require an amputation.

[edit on 20-4-2008 by frayed1]

[edit on 20-4-2008 by frayed1]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Very cool with the unecessary amputation frayed one. I liken these vitamin stories to coffee. Its bad, its good, its bad again, then good again. I do have an underlying mistrust of usda trying to take over all vitamins.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by frayed1

Wow, not sure how I missed that. Sorry.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
This study unveils something for me that has been unveiled a long time ago. Unfortunately it also at the same time strengthens my belief in that scientists seem to be more interested in getting rusults than reassuring that those results are final, and that it's not just a case where the results fit one generation of people.

If people are surprised that consumption of artificial sumpliments could create a risk towards our health, they bloody 'ell deserve it. The are more sides to this...

1. Try to understand your own body. Feel it's needs, notice what makes you sick, notice what gives you a boost of energy, notice what gives you the sensation of being full for a longer periode of time.
Spend time understanding which vegetables contain which minerals and vitamins naturally.

- Don't just sit back and trust that science gets it right and can put a label on everything and tell you what to do. I've experienced people who were told that what they were given was the best and most healthy for them, but they died anyway. I've seen people live longer than they should even though they shunned the doctors orders and turned to a diet they themselves saw more fit.
You probably have experienced this too...

This is where the study goes wrong. There's a risk yes, but not for everyone. Who's left out? How could I know? Why would a man who smokes everyday live to be 106? Dunno... but he did...
Why would a group of people in Japan, confined to a diet with little variation live to be also 100 years old? Again we don't know.

Science is not yet finite and my bet is that it never will be as we and are bodies are constantly changing because of the choices we make.

So pay less attention to those who think they know how your body works and what it needs, and take the time to pay attention to yourself. No medicin, vitamin or advice is this world can cure carelessness... only you can.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join