It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vitamin pills 'increase risk of early death'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Now this is funny!

I have been taking airborne in the winter for a few years now and haven't been sick since. You know the one that was slapped on the wrist and exposed, then ordered to pay customers back because of the words used on the package.

Not only did I not ask for any money back but I continue to use the product. Here's a perfect example:

I went home to visit my family over Christmas. When I got there half were sick and the other half were getting sick. My brother in law had been sick for 2 weeks and was even sicker after I left 2 weeks later. All tolled, 10 family members were ill including children (which started the whole thing). Oh, there was an exception, me! I doubled my daily dose of airborne and spent days right in the middle of all these sick people and never even got a sniffle. I kept telling them to take airborne and only one of my sisters gave it a try with the others just ignoring me. They of course took everything from over the counter cold suppressants to prescription drugs and many like my BIL were still sick when I left.

So, there is proof positive!

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Thank you for providing some background on the case. This is just ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
We should compile all of the info on the Codex and create an awareness page where people can see what is really going on here.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
That's a toughie.

You know it depends on how, what and what amount, with a balanced or diet or lack of.

Those need to be asked before that study comes into it. Most people I'm sure just abuse the use of Vitamins.

In my case. I take vitamin C every day. The safest for us to digest and get the results from. There has been no study to show that Vitamin C in moderate doses is bad or anything of such.

Cod liver oil by the bottle, I SWEAR by it. It was spoon force fed to my generation before me. The best vitamin to take daily. Doctors and nurses have told me stressingly.

On a side note. Anyone who risk ealry deaths through Vitamin daily intake. Are at large, people who are obsessive about their health and weight. These people over do it, to the extent, they take vitamins only artifiically. This is wrong. There is plenty of vitamins in a balanced diet.

My two cents

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mind is the universe

From what I understand, once you hit your limit on "C", the rest just comes out in the urine flow.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by InterestedObserver

There is already a very passionate activist who has been lobbying and working on our behalf to keep our access to supplements. His name is John Hammell in Point Roberts, Washington. His web site is IAHF.com. You can get email updates on how things are going with his/our struggle. He's a straight shooter and has a biological need for supplements. We've spoken for hours via phone and he is very dedicated and determined. I've asked him to come to ATS and tell his story but he is extremely busy with his own site, trips to Washington, etc. If you feel as strongly about saving our access to supplements, go to his site and find out what you can do.

I've been stocking up on essential oils (they keep longer refrigerated than vitamins). As far as I can tell, essential oils are not included in the supplements and "alternative therapies" list. Also, heirloom seeds. I buy a bunch and just plant them everywhere. Not just on my property but all over the place. Sometimes after a good rain, I'll just drive out in the country and edge of town, roll down the window and toss seeds out the window. It's been rewarding to see the crops come up and most people don't even know what's growing right under their nose, but I know. I take heirloom seeds with me on trips and plant where I am. Kind of a modern "Johnny Appleseed." GM crops will fail but mine will still grow and spread. They're unbelievably cheap for what you get. If troops come to my door and confiscate all my stored foods, or if I have to "head for the hills", I'll still have healthy food available for the journey.

Fortune favors the well-prepared.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Supplements are only slightly beneficial for people who have SEVERE deficiencies of nutrients like my mom, but shes anemic so she takes iron pills. I personally laugh at all these people who swear by supplements. I also laugh
at fools who take vitamins so they can reach they're so called " Daily Recommended Value", any idiot with half a brain would know theres no known way to know how much of a nutrient you need. The RDA along with the Food Pyramid is as bogus as the drugs BigPharma puts out. I laugh at the idiots
who push fruits & veggies like they're some kind of godsend, and villainize things like red meat and saturated fat, it sickens me
. The truth is right in front of people's eyes, but the forces who influence our eating habits hold a blanket up to make sure we don't see it.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
WiseIsAwoken,

Sorry, but I've been mega dosing for a while now. When hernia pain dimishes, vision improves, hearing improves, etc., it's hard not to thank mega dosing.

I think it is not quite enough just to eat right. The food supply apparently is insufficient in vitamins and minerals.

Now, I'm not a guy who watches fat intake, I drink my whole milk. I don't eat that artificial junk, labeled "diet."

What I hate is the way medical authorities and drug authorities brainwash people, even the people you love, to think that drugs are actually helping. Talking to some family, well, I sometimes might as well just be talking to a rock, because they don't listen very well. Because "I" did not go to college to be a doctor, so "I" am insufficient in my understanding of health matters.

Kiss it Big Pharma!

Troy

[edit on 17-4-2008 by cybertroy]

[edit on 17-4-2008 by cybertroy]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

When examining the study, a number of key points come to light. The study itself is a meta-analysis, which means that the results of several studies in related fields are combined using statistics to draw an overall conclusion. By their very nature, meta-analyses require a selection process to decide which studies to include in their review.

This meta-analysis only evaluated what are called randomised controlled trials, where patients are put in 2 monitored groups and given either a tablet or a dummy-pill. The study failed to include any of the vast body of long term observational studies that also exist, so the evidence base is very limited.

In addition, the researchers identified 748 studies that met their criteria but they excluded 681 of them, so their results are based on less than nine per cent of the available evidence. What’s more, they specifically excluded any trials in which no deaths were reported (405 articles). This raises the question, how one can properly evaluate whether a substance can prevent mortality when studies that demonstrate no harm are automatically excluded?

The authors also chose not to eliminate deaths due to other circumstances such as accidents, medical conditions and suicides. They chose instead to assume that all the deaths that occurred in any of the studies were attributable to the antioxidant supplements. This is particularly ironic since many of the studies involved groups of people with a variety of health issues, not just those who were healthy. In fact, if a true mortality risk were to have become apparent in any of the original studies, they would have been halted. Interestingly, none were.

In addition, the studies they did select covered a vast range of different nutrients, doses, populations, and durations. This makes it very difficult to effectively combine the evidence and draw proper conclusions. As the saying goes, it’s like comparing apples to oranges.

Some of the studies also included extremely high doses of supplements, far in excess of the Tolerable Upper Limit specified by the Institute of Medicine and many used synthetic forms of nutrients. This may have significantly skewed the overall results.

Overall, it would seem that the negative results found by this review occurred because ALL the positive studies using safe levels of supplements were excluded. Consequently, the basis for exclusion has been heavily criticized. Dr Balz Frei, Director of the Linus Pauling Institute, one of the world’s leading institutes that studies the possible health value of vitamins and micronutrients, has said: “This is a flawed analysis of flawed data, and it does little to help us understand the real health effects of antioxidants, whether beneficial or otherwise.”

The authors appear to be using their study as a campaign for greater regulation of supplements, yet their study makes no references to any of the regulatory procedures already in place.

I think they should be investigated for fraud.

lets us follow the money trail...

who funded the study?

who are these people and how much did they get?

what big pharma companies are they consultants for?

how much stock do they hold they hold in big pharma.

what does a 16 % increased risk in dying means?

why are they not researching hundreds of thousands of people killed by the side effects of big pharma's drugs?

Why are they NOT publicizing and researching hundreds of thousands of people killed by the side effects of big pharma's drugs?

Have you noticed how this corporate propaganda was on all the media during the day worldwide?

Who was responsible.

Why was this story picked and who was pushing it?

To you jackass "journalists" and "editors" why don't you boneheads start doing doing your job instead of copy/pasting corporate propaganda?

They even type it out for you now and give you a free beer and sandwich as a bribe.

None of you bothered to dissect the study.

You worthless turds.

You will get disease too.

Your big fat paycheck won't save you from cancer.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by esecallum

Excellent post. Thank you for the contribution.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I've never taken any vitamins, except maybe some flintstone chewables when I was a kid. Thanks mom.

I started working when I was 14, I am 44 now and have never missed a day of work in my life. Granted there are days that I have gone to work and felt "under the weather", but never enough to justify staying home. I also haven't been to the Doctor in about 10 years.

My wifes family on the other hand are health nuts,....Always talking about eating healthy, they all take vitamin suppliments, they are the fisrt to give everyone advise on what is bad or good for you. Yet, they are all overweight and always sick from colds, flus, migraines....ect.

Genetics has a lot to do with ones health. I have several family members who have lived to be 100 or more. My daughter tends to favor my wifes side of the family and always gets whatever cold or flu is going around, whereas my son is just the opposite, He looks just like me and never complains about beng sick...n fact can't remember the lst time he missed school from being sick.

I think we are all in a desperate struggle for good health, but buying in to all the hype over vitamins & suppliments is just, "throwing your money down a rat hole" .

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
When I see articles like this I think about the commercials about all of the drugs on the market and how they cause loose stool,vertigo and dizziness,dry mouth and could cause death.

Medicines like Advair,Lipitor and many more and after all of the negative side affects are explained even after sudden death is explained they say how your doctor can decide if the benefits out-way the risks..

--------------------------------------------------------------
Doctor to patient:
Looks like you have a mild case of asthma. I'm going to try you on a new drug that you could possibly benefit from. The drug is Advar, Ill have a prescription waiting at the checkout counter for you.

Patient:
Hey Doc. are there any side affects?

Doctor:
The most common Advair side effects include:

Upper respiratory tract infections, such as the common cold -- in up to 27 percent of people
Headaches -- up to 21 percent
A sore throat -- up to 13 percent
Bronchitis -- up to 8 percent
Coughing -- up to 6 percent
Nausea and vomiting -- up to 6 percent.

Some other common side effects, occurring in 3 percent to 5 percent of people, included:

Sinus infections
Hoarseness or voice changes
Muscle pain or bone pain
A fever
Menstrual problems
Thrush
Abdominal pain (or stomach pain)
Diarrhea
A bloody nose
Dizziness
Muscle cramps or muscle spasms.
Breathing problems that are becoming worse
An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
A very fast heart rate (tachycardia)
High blood pressure (hypertension)
High blood sugar
Agitation, aggression, anxiety, or restlessness
Depression
Osteoporosis
Eye problems, including glaucoma or cataracts
A frequent or severe infection of any type
Signs of an allergic reaction, including an unexplained rash, hives, itching, unexplained swelling, wheezing, or difficulty breathing or swallowing.
A runny nose
Sneezing
Conjunctivitis ("pink eye")
Tooth pain
Constipation
Joint pain or arthritis
Shakiness (tremors)
Sleeping problems
Increased sweating
An underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)
A vaginal yeast infection
An irregular menstrual cycle.

Patient:
Wow Doc. do you think this is the best choice for me?

Doctor:
Yes Ive weighed the benefits and the risks and I think this is the medicine for you.

Patient: What about taking Vitamins to boost my immune system and help with overall health?

Doctor: People who use vitamins have been shown in clinical trials to have a higher mortality rate. I would not recommend taking them.

Patient:.

-----------------------------------------------
Yeah ok....

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Great post I worked long time ago in this field and studies thing is your fat sulable vitamins will stay and store in your fat cells and can cause toxicty to your body and alot of people don't look this stuff up flushing antioxidents is good if you know what you need and how much with people flocking to regular stores for every fast cure for everything they dont take any of it right have the time every vitamin is a calist to another and people wont learn to take a multy vitamin on a regular basis and indulge in over taking certian ones thinking that it is good or fast diet cures and this isnt good for the body For example people will suck down Ginsing but not learn that your supose to take it like once every few month and take it like for two weeks then stop and it will still work most just take loads of it and wounder why its not working like at first also everyone reacts diferent to vitamin sups too I also see the gov promoting the hell out of meds but boy they regulate Vitamins its sad that we live in a world where Fast food is cheep and not takin seriously but whats good for you most cant aford to take right and they try to ban and regulate the hell out of it Great post

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyInRed

I'm not great at punctuation but that was the longest running sentence Ive ever seen

Try throwing a . in every once in a while to break up the monotony.

Maybe this site could help Link

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
When I first heard this story I just presumed straight away that its a lie? Ive already heard months ago in some video conference about the new codex they are trying to implement which basically bans all supplements and classes them as 'toxins'.

What better way of starting that ban than by saying they are dangerous using a whole loada crappy made up mistaken statistics.

I think they mean healthy thinking awake people are dangerous to the NWO myself. Not supplements...

But then again they like to make us fight for the rights of things we like even tho they know full well we are going to OD on it...

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

thanks but Im not ashamed to say punctuation or spelling is a strong point of mine everyones not a writter lol but ty for the link not being mean but I was trying to get my point across not win a spelling bee rofl but I will concider it

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

It is my belief that genetics are the #1 determiner on all the issues being discussed in this thread. If you are physically favoring the side of your family that lives to be 100 then odds are you will too. If it favors living to 65 then no matter what you do odds are you will not get much further.

IMO, it's all in the genes!

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Basically they are not saying that antioxidants are good. They are saying that antioxidants keep your immune system on its toes... exercising it. Obviously there are toxic amounts etc, but this is similar to the fact that anti-biotics create super bugs, as do overuse of disinfectants.

We can't simply attempt to eliminate that which is bad in high doses.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
There's a lot of disinformation that goes with this issue.

Firstly, Vitamins are substance that comes from various sources. Most cases, we find it in our food.

Vitamin supplements come in different forms like pill, liquid, injection etc.

Vitamin supplements will not work without eating food. Vitamins can not be substituted for food of course.

Vitamins have its synthetic forms. In most cases, it can be found in commercially available supplements.

In the early eighties, several health companies started to produce highly expensive but all natural vitamin supplements. Minus all the artificial stuff. They even have like "Vegetarian formula".

For example, instead of the usual Vitamin C in its synthetic form, (ascorbic acid) they started to produce Bioflavonoid complex, rose hips, rutin & hesperedin.

Minus all the artificial ingredients that usually come with Vitamin supplement. Some of these artificial ingredients that come with the supplement are for storage purpose and to make it look more attractive.

Not all Vitamin supplements are the same. You have various sources, types, additional ingredients & dosage (amount of milligrams per vitamin)

Not all Vitamins are water soluble. Vitamin C is water soluble, any excess will come out in the urine. It does not happen with oil soluble Vitamin E (unless it's dry form)

If the Vitamin supplement like in the form of pills, if the pill is regular (there are other forms like time release)

The big difference is that regular vitamin supplements like Vitamin C, if it's not time realease, will be gone out of our body in just 3 hours or less.

That does not happen with time release which can stay in our body up to maximum of 12 hours.

There are just too many parameters. Certain Vitamins must be taken with a regiment of other vitamins to balance the effectivity & to counter some small side effects. That is why you usually see some common combinations like the Vitamin B & C. In most cases, combined with certain minerals.

Bottom line, while I agree that there should be a professional guidance with using Vitamin supplements that is for proper for combination, regiment, dosage, & types etc.

It is pre mature or unfair and most likely there is a hidden purpose for saying that "Vitamin pills increase risk of early death".

In fact, Vitamins, if correctly administered, will cure most of the known diseases naturally. Usually, the effect is for long term.

In that case, it can eliminate the need to buy Pharmaceutical drugs.

[edit on 19-4-2008 by searching_for_truth]

[edit on 19-4-2008 by searching_for_truth]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
reply to post by mind is the universe

From what I understand, once you hit your limit on "C", the rest just comes out in the urine flow.

the same is true for hormones. how do you think a pregnancy test works? animals excrete ascorbate through urine, just like humans on doses beyond approximately 200mg.

www.seanet.com/~alexs/ascorbate/197x/stone-i-orthomol_psych-1979-v8-n2-p58.htm

if you read the article, you'll get an impression about the amounts regular animals synthesize a day. it is in the range of several grams for an animal of say 150lbs and stress factors can easily increase the amount.

i advise against using such high doses, though because you'll become dependant on them and develop symptoms of scurvy (bleeding gums..) once you stop.

as for Codex:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

etc...

it's really just a matter of searching, isn't it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join