The Observer has gotten its hands on a Pentagon report to the Bush junta on climate change. They call it secret, but it’s not really that (a few folks
on mailing lists have been piping up and saying its merely a reworked version of information its co-author Peter Schwartz published in book from last
year), but it makes for scary reading, as scenario papers always do. Try this for apocalyptic…
* Future wars will be fought over the issue of survival rather than religion, ideology or national honour.
* By 2007 violent storms smash coastal barriers rendering large parts of the Netherlands inhabitable. Cities like The Hague are abandoned.
California the delta island levees in the Sacramento river area are breached, disrupting the aqueduct system transporting water from north to
* Deaths from war and famine run into the millions until the planet’s population is reduced by such an extent the Earth can cope.
* Riots and internal conflict tear apart India, South Africa and Indonesia.
* Access to water becomes a major battleground. The Nile, Danube and Amazon are all mentioned as being high risk.
* A ‘significant drop’ in the planet’s ability to sustain its present population will become apparent over the next 20 years.
* Rich areas like the US and Europe would become ‘virtual fortresses’ to prevent millions of migrants from entering after being forced from land
drowned by sea-level rise or no longer able to grow crops. Waves of boatpeople pose significant problems.
* Nuclear arms proliferation is inevitable. Japan, South Korea, and Germany develop nuclear-weapons capabilities, as do Iran, Egypt and North
Korea. Israel, China, India and Pakistan also are poised to use the bomb.
* By 2010 the US and Europe will experience a third more days with peak temperatures above 90F. Climate becomes an ‘economic nuisance’ as storms,
droughts and hot spells create havoc for farmers.
Now, how on earth could the Pentagon come up or get involved with crazy statements like these. Really, Holland is in complete shock and everybody is
talking about it! Since the 80's we've got the world's most secure defensesystem as it comes to floods caused by heavy storms. It's called the
Delta Works and we're damn proud of it. This just can't be true. What do you guys think? Does anybody know Peter Schwartz and if so, is he credible
or just a hoaxer?