It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.K. Declassifies ‘80s Work on Fighter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
This weeks AWST had a small blurb on research that the UK underwnet in the 80's to develop a new fighter aircraft. The aircraft was intened to be a supersonic multirole replacement for both the Harrier AND and the Tornado. One of the more interesting designes was the P.125. It featured (aside from stealth) a total enclosed cockpit. It seems that the designers were worried about protecting the pilot from laser weaponry.

The U.K. Defense Ministry has finally begun to declassify work carried out on a design for a supersonic multirole fighter intended to replace the Harrier and Tornado strike aircraft.

The project dates back to the end of the 1980s and was led by the then-British Aerospace. A full-scale size and shape mockup of the design (left), known as P.125, was built by the company before the project was shelved.
www.aviationnow.com...

[edit on 4/15/08 by FredT]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Your img tags aren't working.

Interesting they would enclose the cockpit. I suppose it would take care of the radar reflection from the pilot and cockpit.

Any other details available from a non subscription source?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Just a thought. Waynos had a thread about some models he saw at a museum a month or so ago. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 4/15/08 by FredT]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

yes FredT that is what i thought of as i read this thread,

i asked at work today and it turns out we have a fair bit of info on this project.
i have asked for the relevant info and submitted a request for it all.

fingers crossed !!

snoopyuk

[edit on 16-4-2008 by snoopyuk]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Interesting, thanks for the heads up snoopy, looking forward to see what you can come up with

new topics

top topics

join