It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schoolboy corrects boffin calculations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Schoolboy corrects boffin calculations

www.news.com.au

A 13-YEAR-OLD German schoolboy corrected NASA's estimates on the chances of an asteroid colliding with Earth, a German newspaper reported today, after spotting the boffins had miscalculated.

Nico Marquardt used telescopic findings from the Institute of Astrophysics in Potsdam (AIP) to calculate that there was a one in 450 chance that the Apophis asteroid will collide with Earth, the Potsdamer Neuerster Nachrichten reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Does this give you any faith in the people working for NASA when a 13 year old corrects them on there calculations of being hit. No doubt one day we will be hit but they had not considered that it could hit another object and change it's projectory

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
It makes me consider the possibility (once again) that the people at NASA are feeding us information that is incorrect, and counting on us to 'trust them'.

Same way they airbrush those pics before they hit the public, they adjust the findings in their mathematics to fit an agenda.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
N.A.S.A.= Need Another Seven Astronauts= Because we are playing with your lives, we don't know what we are doing and we will get everyone to fear and blow each other up- then we can pick off the few left from space.

NASA is part of the military industrial complex- and they are big time liars- some of the best.

But all liars get found out eventually. Hang out for the show and smell the BS- we are all about to see a lot of it very soon.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Are there any other sources? - (a quick look did not turn up any)

It's not exactly a game of pool up there - there are massive considerations to take into account when an asteroid and a satellite collide... and apart from trajectory, everything else concerning the asteroid is an unknown.

Given that I might even prove NASA wrong

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Someone has to say it.

NASA is a capital-generating machine for private (non-governmental) organizations. Install an adminsitrator through political lobbying and guarantee your 'lowest-bidder' status the next time the call for bids.

Science is a pesky fact that gets in the way of hefty business deals.

It's not that the talent there is a joke, it's that they have no true leadership, no vision, no oversight.

I hope they are suitably humiliated. Sorry to say they are likely to fire some mid-level manager over this. The laughable leadership will just keep on truckin'

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Ive been convinced for years that a lot of NASA % on almost anything they release to the public has been Guesstimated, One of the reasons why their safety records where almost destroyed and they kept them from the public eye.

Now people are in a position to challenge their findings i feel they are at a loss as what to do about all the information already released over the years, their lies are now coming to light, i wonder what else is going to be discovered as people begin to go over the data?

Is NASA ever going to admit they are lying about other things which get us afraid?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Why can a 13 year old German boy figure that out when most 13 year old American boys are still struggling with basic math?

No Child Left Behind, yeah, more like just learn what's on the test.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Also have NASA and the 13 year old boy taken into account the gavitational pull the earth may have on this when it passes in 2029?

This may not have been calculated as of yet and then that also causes another problem the odds could come down some more YET!!

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Have a look at this interesting article relating to the asteroid in this thread.

This is a real threat and now that the 13 year old boy has amended that calculations we may have to start coming up with some ideas!www.popularmechanics.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by smokingmonkey
Why can a 13 year old German boy figure that out when most 13 year old American boys are still struggling with basic math?

No Child Left Behind, yeah, more like just learn what's on the test.

Sounds like smokingmonkey had to take the FCAT at one point. Either way, some 13 year old German kid just landed himself a job, good fo him.

sty

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
NASA is not bad at maths/mecanics. My believe? the information is intentionaly wrong.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
So, wait: A one-in-450 chance? That means there's a higher likelihood of Apophis hitting us than one has of dying in a motorcycle accident.

Here's some stats from 2004 on the odds of dying from various causes:

Odds of Dying

Am I wrong in hoping this kid forgot to carry the 1?

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
NASA is not stupid....they are rocket scientists for god's sake. They were completely aware of the asteroids trajectory.

This kid made it blatently obvious that they have not only lied to us, but that they have no qualms in doing it, and do it on a regular basis.

It also shows us that NASA will lie to us to prevent mass hysteria. Which provides more evidence that they would cover up alien evidence if they did have it.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   

If Apophis does strike the Earth it would land in the Atlantic with a force equivalent to 98,000 Hiroshima bombs.

This would generate a kilometre-high wave that would overwhelm Britain, Western Europe and the east coast of the US.

The resulting climate change as vaporised seawater falls as rain would destroy the world's crops and bring about catastrophic human casualties.

Schoolboy Corrects NASA on Asteroid

Sharing another source for this story. Can't wait to hear NASA's response to this...

Peace

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
Can't wait to hear NASA's response to this...

Which is ....... that it's all a hoax!

It turns out this story is a fabrication and AFP didn't check the facts with NASA as I suspected. According to the blog Cosmos4u, they talked with Don Yeomans at NASA's NEO office and this is what Yeoman's said about the news story of a 13-year old boy correcting NASA's estimates of Apohpis impacting earth: "We have not corresponded with this young man and this story is absurd, a hoax or both. During its 2029 Earth close approach, Apophis will approach the Earth to about 38,900 km, well inside the geosynchronous distance at 42,240 km. However, the asteroid will cross the equatorial belt at a distance of 51,000 km - well outside the geosynchronous distance. Since the uncertainty on Apophis' position during the Earth close approach is about 1500 km, Apophis cannot approach an Earth satellite. Apophis will not cross the moon's orbital plane at the Moon's orbital distance so it cannot approach the moon either."

www.universetoday.com...

Worth noting that any tiny change in orbit caused by hitting a satellite would as likely deflect Apophis away from Earth - which I guess should have set alarm bells ringing from the start.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I hope they are suitably humiliated. Sorry to say they are likely to fire some mid-level manager over this.

I wonder if his name is Ryan Mackey? Sorry, had to say it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

On topic. It just goes to show that even "experts" can be wrong.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
More info on how the hoax evolved here:

cosmos4u.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Hoax?

NASA had previously estimated the chances at only 1 in 45,000 but told its sister organisation, the European Space Agency (ESA), that the young whizzkid had got it right.

news.yahoo.com...

Unless Yahoo News is in the business of perpetuating hoaxes.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
When postulating some of these types of events, I suppose we would have to admit "It has been proven to have happen before in the Earths past history and it is inevitable, and it will happen again."
I am not minimizing the effect of such thing's to one's psychy or post traumatic feeling's of doom, but once these calculations, assumption's and inconclusive thing's are put to the public, it seems to direct itself to anew state of what I call "Belief Factor's" to establish a new belief in Government and or institution related facts bordering the "Religion" effects of absolute dread and doom.
Remember, there is always going to be circumstances to evolve us in every day living and if NASA was incorrect in thier calculations and actually been corrected by a 13 year old boy, the fact remains that calculation are the product of circumstantial evidences that have not occured as of yet. Basically we either dismiss the evidences, or we seem to go head over heels for the assumption being fact and not being just "Probability" to such events.
All I can truly do for myself is admit there has been catastrophies of this happening before, but I refuse to take every thing I hear without the preverbial "Grain of Salt" and wish not to be thwarted to having a "new" way of seeing thing's for what they really are "Probabilities with no real outcome", events? "yes" actuality? "Not until it really happens."

Not only that , if there is something that was going to alter the face of our planet, "2012 is a heck of alot closer than 2029!"

As for NASA's facilities and faculties, I would have to believe that they are alot smarter than what is portrayed of them here in this thread, this is thier profession's and they are bound to make mistakes, "To err is to be human" but those guy's and gals are very careful of what they say and how they present it to the public before official releases are made to the public. I am not saying that NASA hasn't had thier share of conspiracy related situations, but something as relevant as an asteroid/comet/meteor, I really don't think it would make a hooie of differance of letting the public know ASAP.

To the OP:
Great thread none the less, and even it was the truth, it probably will get altered between the parimeters of what has already been assumed from today to the tomorrows until it actually happens. IMHO.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join