It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rape a child, pay with your life, Louisiana argues

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Rape a child, pay with your life, Louisiana argues

www.cnn.com

Kennedy was sentenced to die in 2003 for sexually assaulting his stepdaughter in her bed. The crime occurred in a quiet neighborhood in Harvey, across the big river from New Orleans. Besides severe emotional trauma, Louisiana prosecutors said the attack caused internal injuries and bleeding to the child, requiring extensive surgery.

Death penalty opponents say Louisiana is the only state to actively pursue lethal injection for child rapists, and argue, among other things, that it could give attackers a reason to murder their victims.

"If they're going to face the death penalty for raping a child, why would they leave a living witness?" said Judy Benitez, executive director of the Louisiana Foundation against Sexual Assaults.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
All I have to say is that this is taking the situation way too far. Like most of the time we don't even execute people for murders. So why does raping a child deserve the death penalty? Life in prison seems more reasonable.

Louisiana is still, how should I say this, southern, if you know what I mean.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

www.abovetopsecret.com...

doesnt this cover this topic?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

Death is what they deserve for doing something like that? Do you have a child? How would you feel if someone did something like that to your child? Would the rapist still deserve to live in your eyes?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
What is the purpose of storing, feeding and housing these sickos for the next fourty years? It is proven time and again by the drastically high number of repeat offenders who molest again and again that this is a sickness and a compulsion which has no cure.

You can not rehabilitate a child rapist. Period. It is not a matter of IF these people will molest again, it is a matter of when. Now I am fully aware that police sometimes make mistakes, and it is equally wrong to punish or execute a man who may not be guilty.

Here is how it should work - if there is clear and obvious proof of guilt, be it eye witness testimony, DNA evidence or full confession, then they should move right to the front of the line on death row. If you believe that raping a small child is less brutal or heinous than murder you are wrong.

That child has to spend the rest of their life in agony and they will never fully recover psychologically. Child molestors are the most vile and disgusting beings on the face of the earth and they deserve to be put to death. Many people who are convicted of murder killed their victims in a fit of jealous rage or in self defense. While they are guilty of taking a life, many are justified in doing so, even if a judge or jury doesn't agree. At least many of them had a viable reason for what they did.

There is NEVER a legitimate excuse for raping a child. Ever. These men are not redeemable, they will never change, what purpose does it serve to keep them alive? Give them death, help stop prison overcrowding and stop throwing away tax dollars being used to support these trash.

Sorry Chester, this is the end of the line for you.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
What people don't understand is that child rapists are ATTRACTED to children, and they cannot control themselves. I do not condone the act, in fact, it's vile and makes me want to vomit.

That said, if we want to sentence child rapists to death, we'd have to sentence every rapist to death as well. You cannot make distinctions between a regular rapist and a child rapist.

The death sentence should ONLY be used against individuals who commit henous crimes that have malice aforethought, and result in the loss of life. Yes, child rapists completely screw up their victims psychologically, but the children do have the chance to come back...thus their life was not taken.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719That child has to spend the rest of their life in agony and they will never fully recover psychologically. Child molestors are the most vile and disgusting beings on the face of the earth and they deserve to be put to death. Many people who are convicted of murder killed their victims in a fit of jealous rage or in self defense. While they are guilty of taking a life, many are justified in doing so, even if a judge or jury doesn't agree. At least many of them had a viable reason for what they did.

There is NEVER a legitimate excuse for raping a child. Ever. These men are not redeemable, they will never change, what purpose does it serve to keep them alive? Give them death, help stop prison overcrowding and stop throwing away tax dollars being used to support these trash.

Sorry Chester, this is the end of the line for you.

Child rapists are mentally ill; they cannot help it. They are attacted to children, whereas everyone else is attracted to individuals around their own age. Hell, I wouldn't even call them mentally ill, I'll just say they are different....much like gay people.

They cannot help who they are attracted too, but I will say they do have the opportunity not to act on their passion. I do not condone child molestation, as like I said, I view them as scum. There is no excuse for having no self-control; I am attracted to women my age, but I don't go around raping them. They should be placed in jail, menstal institutions, but definitely not be sentenced to death.

When you finally understand that these people are mentally ill, maybe you will understand why they do what they do.

[edit on 15-4-2008 by Double Eights]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
No, but their innocence is taken and that's almost sadder than the loss of a life.

Kill 'em, let them make their pathetic excuses to God and let Him judge their souls. As for the rest of society, we lose nothing whatsoever by executing these pieces of crap... in fact, we gain something by doing so, one less sicko to worry about.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
No, but their innocence is taken and that's almost sadder than the loss of a life.

Kill 'em, let them make their pathetic excuses to God and let Him judge their souls. As for the rest of society, we lose nothing whatsoever by executing these pieces of crap... in fact, we gain something by doing so, one less sicko to worry about.

Why not kill every druggie? Traffic violator (IE: Run a red light and hit a pedestrian/car, drunk driving, etc..)? Military man who commits crimes overseas (rape, torture, killing, psychological damage)? Alcoholic? etc..

These people ruin others lives, much like rapists. Why the distinction between rapists and the others I've listed?

CX

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Totaly agree with your post. As a father of two little girls who are my whole world, i know if someone ever touched them like this, i would save the UK taxpayers a hell of a lot of money i promise you.

That said, whilst i agree that the dealth penalty is a fitting punishment for most child rapists, there are some circumstances where i think prison and therapy might be better.

I used to look after boys in care, many of whom had been abused growing up. Some of these thought that this was the norm, and there was a good chance they could victimise someone themselves.

Whilst what they could do is not right, should they get the death penalty for it?

Difficult one.

CX.

[edit on 15/4/08 by CX]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The part of the whole issue that really truly turns me off is the fact that our courts are putting people away for longer periods of time for drug offenses than they are for some guy who raped and sodomized his five year old neighbor.

It's sickening and very sad commentary for our judicial system as a whole.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
There is already a LONG thread on this in this forum:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Well, I can't say I'd take it quite that far, but I did say in the other thread on this topic that I'm all for vast expansion of capital punishment. I do believe if you drive drunk and kill someone or if you're a repeat offender rapist (or a proven violent rapist) you should get the death penalty.

Saying they're mentally ill has no affect on me whatsoever. That's an excuse, actually. The only time a persons mental illness should ever factor into punishment for crimes is when it is an illness that has rendered their mental capcity to that of a child, too immature to know right from wrong. In fact, if it is a mental illness or, even worse, an orientation as you seem to believe, then it isn't a matter of making them suffer in prison to the extent that they won't want to offend again. They clearly have no control and will forever be a danger to scoiety. Since I believe it is an unfair burden to place on society to house, feed, and clothe a man that's broken the law who has no chance of ever being rehabillitated and will forever be a danger to society, I believe the only other alternative is execution. A quick execution, devoid of decades of appeals and stays, at that.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
This sounds completely reasonable to me..DEATH or LIFE in Prison.
Children need to be protected from the perverts and pedophiles..let them fear the law..because now they don't. To end someones life who finds sexual contact with children to be acceptable behavior seems rational and reasonable to me.
If we can capture and kill all of the pedophiles that operate in the shadows protected by wealth and influence that would be a great great thing.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Double Eights

Why not kill every druggie? Traffic violator (IE: Run a red light and hit a pedestrian/car, drunk driving, etc..)? Military man who commits crimes overseas (rape, torture, killing, psychological damage)? Alcoholic? etc..

These people ruin others lives, much like rapists. Why the distinction between rapists and the others I've listed?

If you cannot distinguish the difference between a traffic violation or an alcoholic to that of a child rapist, then you seriously need to pull your head out of whatever orifice it is that you currently have it lodged in.

The very notion is absurd.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

Originally posted by Double Eights

If you cannot distinguish the difference between a traffic violation or an alcoholic to that of a child rapist, then you seriously need to pull your head out of whatever orifice it is that you currently have it lodged in.

The very notion is absurd.

You're crying foul because a child rapist psychologically damages his victim(s)....

Well so do Military men, Alcoholics, traffic violators, druggies, etc.. They ruin the lives of those around them in many different facets. Alcoholics have killed people while driving drunk, traffic violators have ran a light and killed a family, druggies have gotten into gunfights leading in the deaths of innocent people.

These people damage their victims just as much as child rapists...so why are you not advocating for their deaths as well?

Don't be a hypocrit. If a child rapist should be killed because they damage their victims, then in your mind, all the above should be killed as well.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I think the ruling should go by case.

ex1: A guy kidnaps a child and then rapes them. This person should be given the death penalty, as they actively went out looking for a target, kidnapped them, and then raped them.

ex2: A guy molests his child. Yes, they should probably be thrown in jail or the rest of their lives, but I wouldn't kill them. It's an absolutely disgusting act, but not on the level as example 1.

ex3: Teacher has sex with their student. That is considered child rape, but I don't think anyone would advocate for the death penalty in this situation.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
As a person from Louisiana, I have no problem with a death sentence in certain cases. I personally believe the idea of blanket penalties is absurd and that each individual case must be properly assessed and analyzed.

In this case I would be hesitant to call for a death senstence due to the way the case has been handled so far.

If there was a case though, where the offender was identified without any reasonable doubt I could support the death penalty depending on the circustances and evidence.

What I would be afraid of is setting a precedent for future cases. One area that must be scrutinized is what classifies as child rape. Does a 17 year old raped by 18 year old equal child rape? What if both victim and offender are juveniles, say one is 16 and the other 15? The offender could possibly be younger than the victim, which has happened here in Shreveport where 16-15 year old males have been charged with rape, though the victims were adults.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Oh darn... I couldn't it with search. Crap -.-.

I know how precious children are to their parents nowadays; all those abductions and missing child... Parents have the absolute right to protect their children.

What I cannot understand is why are we not executing all murderers? What are we afraid of? Public oppinion? Sometimes the problem is: What if you're wrongly accused?

Maybe we SHOULD execute all involved grand thefts, all drug dealers, all DUI convicts, and all rapists in general to remove society's tarnishes. But that would be a state of terror, right?

Locking them up for life is completely reasonable, but that would overcrowd the jails, so I still like the labor camp idea.

[edit on 4/15/2008 by die_another_day]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I agree and have not problem with the death penalty for a Child rapist specially when the only pleasure they have assaulting a child is to steal the child's Innocent.

More so if the child is injured in such vile manner as to spend the rest of their life dealing with the scars.

But I see one littler problem here . . . the law in many occasions is not clear when it comes to teens.

Finally here in GA this problem was addressed with wrongful incarceration even if the girl agree to concent, when it comes to teens, now is on case by case bases and no longer one law applies to all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join