It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

wisconsin cougar killed in middle of chicago!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I have been trailing the story of a mysterious cougar which has been sighted ten miles away from my home near Milton, WI. Wisconsin has not seen a cougar in 100 years thats why this is big new here. I've been trailing both the cougar thoughout these woods here for months and in the newspaper stories. Apparently he finally ended up in some alley in Chicago and was shot by a policeman today.

CHICAGO – Chicago police say an officer has killed a 150-pound cougar in a residential area on the city's North Side.
Police say several residents reporting seeing the cat early Monday and the officer shot the animal in an alley.

Please look at the website in my signature below to read all of the stories prior to the cougars death. Strange journey.

[edit on 15-4-2008 by hiii_98]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I added a video as to my site. Kinda sad ending i guess how we as a race always kill what we fear. Not one instance of the cougar ever harming or threatening anyone in over the past 5 months.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This has happened in Omaha a couple of times over the last few years, too. It's an unfortunate consequence of urban sprawl. The suburban mini-mansions crowd out the homes of these poor critters, and they have nowhere to go. It's surprising, though, that there are so many of these large predators around to begin with. Shows you how good they were at hiding, up til now.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by hiii_98

Your avatar was one that spooked some kids in a wooded area beside making them sick from the smell it gave off. What was that story and where did it happen.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
One of my favorite stories/events of all times... the Flatwoods Monster

en.wikipedia.org...

A great read.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
This is most defineatly interesting. I'm from Wisconsin as well, I never actually heard about that though. Kinda reminds me of the Wolf overpopulation problem we are having at the moment.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
There always seems to be a lot of wierd stuff that happens in Wisconsin, maybe just because it is a pretty big state with a lot of open land. Anyways, nice site hiii_98.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Flatwoods thing, that was it. I loved that story.

Hey, I seen that cougar in chicago on tv and it showed a clip where a camera was shooting film and a cop was walking towards the camera as the cougar walked across behind the cop and he never even knew it. That cougar looked rather large which means it was well fed. But since it hurt no one, I have to wonde why they had to shoot it to death. Maybe animal control could of darted it and moved it to a zoo or some place safe.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
As I was raised in a rural, forested area and now live in Chicagoland I am torn with this story.

First, the cat was examined and determined to be wild. That being said, the police did what they felt was best in the situation. Not being equipped to deal with such an occurrence they had to think of the public safety first. If this cat were cornered by a bunch of school kids, then you'd be wondering why it wasn't dispatched.

I feel terrible in that I am well aware of alternatives to what happened but I don't blame the police or question what they did. It certainly is a loss when such a majestic beast is involved.

They had a big debate on the radio this morning and it's so easy to second guess but I'm sure those people weren't thinking about their children walking to school whilst they chastised the CPD.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
why would the cougar bother with the children walking to school? It eats and hunts deer and rabbits , not children and is considered afraid of human contact. Please read the story where it first appears right down the street from me in Milton in the mans barn. That was a perfect example of this cougar and a lone human... the cougar ran not charged. I still dont understand why they didnt coordinate with animal control better. Story under the achives on my site.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by hiii_98

Read my post again. I said if a cat were cornered by some kids, meaning the kids are the aggressors. If you get a wild animal into a corner they don't just roll on their backs and wait for you to pet them. They get agitated and will strike out. obviously any wild animal will avoid contact with humans whenever possible, that's only common sense.

Just as an example, I once witnessed a bunch of kids that happen to catch a mother black bear and two cubs crossing thru a populated area to get from one hill to another. They backed the bears into an area where they had no way out and were throwing stones at them. Pretty stupid? Of course, but with kids that have no perception of how dangerous a situation is combined with that adolescent feeling of invincibility plus peer pressure and suddenly you have a potentially deadly situation. Had I not run the kids off, I'm sure the mama would have mauled and/or killed at least one of them.

Again, this has nothing to do with what the cat hunts. Once the cat enters a more densely populated area the chances of it getting trapped in a high fenced yard or an alley increase dramatically. At that point it will fight it's way out, trust me.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
i'm partial and biased to cats. I would agree to killing the bear in a second... lol. Bears scare the hell out of me.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 18-4-2008 by hiii_98]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I do animal rescue. We shouldn't be killing, we should be tranquilizing. There is no excuse for killing these animals. They should be tranqed and relocated to an appropriate area.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
150 lbs!! Yikes!! 100 lbs is considered large for a male. Ive studied and revered
these awesome creatures since they started making their way through the Blue
Ridge Mts. and occasionally showing up in ppls back yards here in the mid-Atlantic. Virginia in my case. Once considered impossible its now not unheard of but rare, one may discover a family of em deep in the Virginia swamps.

Ive also studied cougar attacks on humans. Anyone else heard those gory stories from say northern California? So far theyve been totally unpredictable.
A healthy adult male can easily tear men 2-3 times their size to bloody chunks in a matter of seconds! I watched that you tube video and when that huge cat strolled on past that cop the hair on the back of my neck stood up. Afraid of people? Not this beast! I dont see how the cop didnt see it its prbly a good thing he didnt. Had he panicked and turn around quickly to face it then the gun, the bulletproof vest and baton wouldve been worthless if the big cat got startled and felt threatend.

I pains me greatly to see such a great beast gunned down like that but in this
case they did exactly what they should have done. Imagine the bloody terror
that thing couldve caused if it found a place to hide and managed to prowl the night for a couple of weeks!

Bears are equally as dangerous of course but their also pretty dumb. The stealth and cunning of any of the big cats not to mention the supernatural speed and agilty is unmatched by any other predator in my book.

I for one welcome our cougar overlords...

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
i really don't know aht to say and haven't watched any of the videos- but a puma is a VERY DANGEROUS ANIMAL! look at the killing of people that have happened in cali col az etc. a cat is a very cunning and very silent predator. i believe i saw one here (poconos pa) they scare the # out of me. tg iwas up in my tree stand at the time. we have the highest bear population density in the world here butthey don't nearly scare me as much as these cats do. the cougar is the 5th largest cat in the world and has the widest range of all wild cats. average weight is about 100 lbs(male)130 lbs (female) but yet they can kill a deer that weighs 150 and drag it up a tree if they want too. that is powerful. and i have 2 housecats that weigh maybe 8 lbs and the power of their bite and claws when we are just playing makes me wonder what a large cat would do. i AM NOT FOR the killing of the cougar- maybe animal control could have caught it but idont know?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sleuth
I do animal rescue. We shouldn't be killing, we should be tranquilizing. There is no excuse for killing these animals. They should be tranqed and relocated to an appropriate area.

I hope they at least got some nice steaks from the cougar.

Maybe a warm coat as well.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
hahaha rofl never eaten puma but sure it is ok- plus they could have used it in the soup kitchens

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
It turns out the cougar was the same exact one that first popped up ten miles from my house and made quite a stir. Impressive that it made it all the way to Chicago! DNA matched...

I have the news article posted on the frontpage of my website in my signature.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
The Cougar was a Packer fan.

Seriously though, if the animal didn't show any aggression, then they could of tried to contain it while animal control showed up to retireve the anaimal.

Uneccessary action taken by the police officer.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Has anyone else noticed alot of "normally" country or forest type animals turning up in cities that are like over 20 miles away? We have been getting slammed with everything you can imagine here in northern california where I live. I have got to see if I can find our funky opossum it has a furry ringed tail like a racoon;is about 3 feet long (not counting the tail) and instead of being all grey like the other smaller ones its gray and brown.If she comes back I will get a pic and post it is the weirdest looking thing!
As far as the animal control thing.you call them here they tell YOU to trap it and call them to come and get it! So far I have trapped 3 canadian geese some chickens a falcon several racoons and oposums. Do not try this at home it sucks bad if they get loose

new topics

top topics

join