It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martian Landscape here on Earth??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
last night, as I was flipping channels before falling asleep, (so I am not 100% sure on this) I stopped on a show called Mission Control on the Science Channel.

In the show, scientists and engineers were working on an isolated island called Devin Island, or Devlin Island or was it Devil's Island?, where the landscape was very very similiar to that of the landscape of Mars where the rovers are. They were testing space suits that would hold up to martian conditions and said they were still years away from coming up with the technology needed to perfect the suits. anywho.....

In the show, they kept showing the earth landscape in true color and then they showed it with the red filters on the camera and it looks identical to Mars.

Did anyone else see this show and Can someone clarify the name of the island for me??? Some engineer or scientist type person might be familiar with what I am talking about.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I would think that the dry valleys of Antartica would be close to what Mars is like.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I didn't seeit and the webpage is not too specific. It's above the Artic Circle

"Mission Control
Surviving Mars - Part One

In the terrain above the Arctic Circle scientists and space enthusiasts have created a simulation of Mars. Their research is aiding in the quest to reach and colonize the Red Planet."

science.discovery.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Found it

The Mars Society's major project is its Mars Analog Research Program, operated in cooperation with NASA, the governments of the U.S. and Canada, the U.S. Air Force, and other organizations. The first Mars analog facility built is the Mars Arctic Research Station located on Devon Island in arctic Canada. Additional bases are being planning in the American Southwest, Australia, and in the European northern regions.

www.marsnews.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Devon Island!!!!! thanks netstorm and howard

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Mars looks like west Texas.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
actually Mars looks exactly like Devon Island with the exception of the red tint....very uncanny, but also very intriguing.

(could it be that we might actually be faking the Mars Mission on Devon Island?)

sorry, I just had to say that, but I don't really believe that, I do believe we are really on Mars.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Either late 70's or early 80's (more likely 70's judging by hairstyle), the movie Capicorn One? It starred Elliot Goule (?) as an astronaught.

Anyway, the movie premise was a manned mission to Mars, but experts realized that the oxygen generators would fail, killing the astrnaughts before ever reaching the Red Planet... so they set up a sound stage somewhere in the Rockies to fake the whole thing. They launched the ship, but not the people.

Anyway, NASA just recorded the "missions", and broadcast them at a later time, to indicate the time-lag of distance. The sound stage was based on what earlier satilites had observed.

Everything was going real well, until the astronaughts realized that after the manned mission, the "return" vehicle was supposed to fail... killing the astronaughts. They escaped.

Oops, no that I think about it, Elliot Goul was a reporter...

the NASA/government managed to kill two of the astronaughts... the third showed up at this own funeral.

top topics

join